Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at the classifieds I am wondering if they are used very much? There are only a handful of listings that I can see, at first I thought it was because of the "Search with (5) miles" but that does not seem to be the case as I can see ads posted from all over the country.

I did see that all of the ads got dumped and have to be reposted, but I didn't get a single inquiry into the ads I had previously posted. I have posted some of the ammo that I have for sale, but my ads are the only ones! I am wondering if anybody really looks at the classifieds at all!

In any event, it is very cumbersome to have to click on each and every sub category in order to find out if there are any ads in that category. It seems to me that unless you are looking for something very specific you wouldn't bother looking here. Not likely that members would browse through the ads with nothing in particular in mind for purchase.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Any suggestions on how we could streamline it?
You could probably post a link to the items with a description in the barter thread or something. Idk

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you could have a window with the number of items being listed in each sub-category. At any rate it just seems very cumbersome to me.

I did just notice that a bunch of ads popped up (took awhile to load or I just didn't see them earlier?). Is this all of the ads that have been posted since the old ads were purged?

I hesitate to put links in on other threads because the rules say that we can't advertise in the open forums. On the other hand I have sold a few items by mentioning it in another thread as opposed to getting no response to my ads. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I haven't even looked at the classifieds honestly. I think a lot of people just use their phones and may not even realize they exist. We have a vendor thread. Maybe a classifieds link thread should be brought up with notdku. He's open to suggestions for improvements. Anything that simplifies use and brings more supporting members is worth consideration.

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't even looked at the classifieds honestly.
Well Hell's Bells man! There's the problem! What would get you to look at the classifieds, and what would get more members to look there? I have posted some ammo for sale and I am waiting to see if there is any action on it before posting a bunch more that I have. I don't really want to go through the effort of posting several different ads if the ones I put up get no action.

I think a lot of people just use their phones and may not even realize they exist. We have a vendor thread. Maybe a classifieds link thread should be brought up with notdku. He's open to suggestions for improvements. Anything that simplifies use and brings more supporting members is worth consideration.
I have no clue about the phone apps as I don't have a smartphone (nor do I want one). I have no clue if there could be an app that would give access to the phone junkies out there or not.

I am not a vendor, I am just selling off a bunch of stuff (like gas masks!) from my buddy's estate to help his widow pay the bills.

I go to a Jeep forum where there is a specific "Buying, Selling or Trading" forum- lets see if I can paste it here- (I hope this works)

Forum Topics Posts Last Post
Buying, Selling or Trading
Forum [32 New Posts]
Items for Sale
Items for sale here, include location and price. 2027 11466 full hard top(price lowered)
By 48willys View First Unread Post [32 New Posts]
5 hours 43 minutes ago at 7:17am
Forum [3 New Posts]
CJ2A Page Member Created Parts (2 Viewing)
Please only post parts that YOU have made here. NO COMMERCIAL PARTS! 101 3222 "Will Work For Jeep Parts" T-Shirts...
By CJ3A View First Unread Post [3 New Posts]
09 June 2012 at 9:46pm
Forum [11 New Posts]
Wanted to Buy
List what you are looking for here. 1869 7933 L-134/T-90A1 BELLHOUSING NEEDED...
By JPNTX View First Unread Post [11 New Posts]
12 hours 39 minutes ago at 12:21am
Forum [7 New Posts]
Trading Post (1 Viewing)
List what you want to trade here 202 868 My Dune Buggy for a Willys
By stich View First Unread Post [7 New Posts]
23 hours 37 minutes ago at 1:23pm
Forum
Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
Let everyone know where something is for sale! (If you don't want it) 1715 8103 Strange Looking Bantam
By Joe DeYoung View Last Post
07 June 2012 at 9:12am

I think few of us do look there unless we are selling something.

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I can't have ammo mailed. Atleast I should say its not illegal but not recommended. I wouldn't want to put anyone at risk.
Maybe something like that thread could be achieved here. There has to be some relatively simple way to simplify access for everyone whether on computer or phone.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I think you would see more posts if it was in the actual forums section with sub categories like this ,
Handguns,

Revolvers,
Semi auto

Rifles,

Bolt action,
Semi auto ,
Parts
Uppers,
Lowers,

NFA SECTION

Suppressors,
SBR
AUTO

Optics and sights ,
Irons
Scoped,
Red dots

It's a lot of work and uses some bandwidth to do it but the results are better. I used to operate a high traffic forum and it was alot of fun, but got a new job 6 yrs ago and changed hrs and my available time to do it was about 1/4 of what I had before . So I passed the forum on to a couple others to run/ moderate and they let it go so I finally shut it down .

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I can't have ammo mailed. Atleast I should say its not illegal but not recommended. I wouldn't want to put anyone at risk.
Maybe something like that thread could be achieved here. There has to be some relatively simple way to simplify access for everyone whether on computer or phone.
I just went to the USPS website and looked up prohibited items, here is the list.

Many household items can’t go in the mail.
Hazardous materials come in a wide variety of forms and can be chemical, biological, radioactive, or a combination.

The Postal Service's™ definition of a hazardous material includes many common household and consumer products. They may not be dangerous on your shelf at home, but they can become a hazard when shaken or when the temperature or pressure changes.

Some common hazardous materials include…

Perfumes
Nail polish
Flea collars or flea sprays
Aerosols
Bleach
Pool chemicals
Paints
Matches
Batteries
Fuels or gasoline
Airbags
Dry ice
Mercury thermometers
Cleaning supplies
Items previously containing fuel
Glues
Fireworks

Not sure if what you’re sending is hazardous or prohibited? Just call 1-800-ASK-USPS or your local Post Office.
Ammunition is specifically missing. That means it is not prohibited:D.

(Edit) When I have ordered ammo from Midway or Natchez the only restriction is that an adult has to sign for it (the UPS or Fedex driver is usually the adult:))

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The classifieds never let me upload pics :mad:
I had no problem uploading pics that were taken with my digital camera. I have tried to upload pics from my phone (not a smart phone) but that doesn't seem to work for me:(.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Yeah but the attorney general of Massachusetts has a history of going after companies that are willing to ship ammo. Because of this nobody is willing to ship to ma.

Wish I could tell you what the photo upload issue is. I'm no expert and have trouble myself sometimes. It may be that the file is too big. Idk

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
I lost the classifieds data not to long ago.

Please start adding stuff to it. It's a snowball effect. A little ends up being a lot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I and a lot of people I know ship Ammo Flat Rate all the time .
It,s cheap and my Post office is more then happy for the Business .

Just a side note . For a long time I did,t know this site had a classified ??
And I guess it don,t .

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
I am not a fan of the current format for the "classifieds" section. It isn't where a n00b would look for it, and the n00b user should be considered, IMO. Remember, some n00b's join just to ask about a classified item.

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I lost the classifieds data not to long ago.

Please start adding stuff to it. It's a snowball effect. A little ends up being a lot.
Thanks for chiming in Notdku.

I think there is a lot to be desired in the classifieds. I know you had lost the data but I had placed several ads some time ago (a few months before the data loss) and didn't get any bites on any of it. I did, on the other hand, just get a bite on some of the ammo I just listed a few days ago. Not exactly a quick bite but it is a bite.

The current setup may not be bad, but it is not like any other classifieds forum that I am familiar with and that may be the problem. I am not sure if others share that view, but if the responses to my OP are any measure it seems that I am not alone. If there is a way to clone the Craigslist setup that would be perfect for me. Easy search, many categories, you can search all categories or just browse through the whole thing.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
I hate to sound like a *****, and maybe I'm BLIND,

but it seems the Classifieds section here isn't all that

easy to find? Which, IMO, sort of defeats it's

purpose??

I know, how about if we were to title a section

"Classifieds"? Yanno, where just the average Joe,

non-computer guru type could see it?

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I think a classifieds thread with sub catagories could work and would be a relatively easy way to bring it to the mobile app. (think someone already suggested this)

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
I hate to sound like a *****, and maybe I'm BLIND,

but it seems the Classifieds section here isn't all that

easy to find? Which, IMO, sort of defeats it's

purpose??

I know, how about if we were to title a section

"Classifieds"? Yanno, where just the average Joe,

non-computer guru type could see it?
It's in the header at the top of the page.

I hear you guys about our classifieds setup.

Over time, once the submissions have picked back up it will be indexed and be heavier with content.

Do I need to add some subsections?

Although I may not be able implement some suggestions, I'm always glad to hear them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts