Classic TV Westerns

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by IDVague, Dec 8, 2010.

1. IDVague

IDVague New Member

I've recently been catching up on the old "Have Gun - Will Travel" series. Pretty good TV for 50 years ago (or now). I kind of marvel at the impossibility of some of the marksmanship and gunplay of the old western heroes, but they are still great fun and transport me back to my youth. By the way, who would feel comfortable carrying around Paladin's Colt SAA with "1 once trigger pull"?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I spend a lot of my TV time with the channel set to Encore Westerns. Love the good old westerns where the good guys whipped the bad guys. Been watching Cheyenne and Paladin nearly every evening. I vaguely remember some of the episodes from my youth - kind of brings me back to a simpler time in my life...

3. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I remember those shows. We watched 'em all, Dad either wanted to watch westerns, Nascar or football. Of course he was an OTR trucker, so when away, Mom watched whatever us kids wanted. :D

4. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

I had Roy Roger`s pedal jeep Nelle Belle, well until I left it behind Pop`s truck.:mad:

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Always liked the TV western serials, Roy Rogers, Hop Along Cassidy, Wild Bill Hickock, The Lone Ranger, Daniel Boone, Jim Bowie, Death Valley Days, Wagon Train, Have Gun Will Travel were all great!!

6. IDVague

IDVague New Member

I got a Roy Rogers guitar in the late 60's. Still have it, as a matter of fact. :)

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Sorry guys, I will not devulge my age by participating in this.

But I do have a couple of question?. Why did Cisco Kid always ride past the same boulders when he was chasing someone? Was he going in circles?

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Boulder Dash!!!!

The same reason they shot and killed the same Indian more than once in the same show. I liked the vapor trails from jets flying over while they were shooting the old westerns!!! Glen Ford was suposed to be a fast draw with the Pistola.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Anybody remember Bob Steele? I ordered a mystery DVD & it turned out to be perfect for my Dad. It was a dozen or so hour-long, B & W, westerns made in his youth, all related to Billy the Kid as a character. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Steele_(actor) RIP

Dad liked the first one; just gotta teach him how to use the DVD player to see the others. No biggie, i don't know how to use a lot of the tools from his days; the computator on his bureau is downright intimidating.

10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Anyone remember Sergeant Preston of the Yukon?:D

No one for The Rifleman.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The Rifleman was a RCMP? Or was it Sgt Preston who was Branded?

12. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Those rocks on Cisco were like the hills on "the Kansas plains" in the old black and white Gunsmokes, and the pond on the newer color Gunsmokes. One set fits all. Also remember from my college days in the 60s a gladiator movie where one of the soldiers in a fight scene had a wristwatch on. Old TV is great!

13. freefall

freefall New Member

I still want a "mare's leg" like Steve McQueen had in "Wanted: Dead or Alive". "The High Chaparral" was one of my favorite westerns. Anybody remember Sky Kings niece Penny?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

R U kidding? I LUSTED after Penny! Yeah, my niece- sure- that's the ticket! She's my.... niece.

You can buy a legal "Mare's Leg" now- in the show, they had McQueen with 45-70 cartridges in his belt loops, cause they looked more impressive.

Yes, I remember Pancho and Cisco- and Gene Autry, and Hopalong. I actually met "Lash Larue"- used an 18 ft bullwhip. Anybody remember "26 Men"- about the Arizona Rangers? Later on, besides Cheyenne, there was also Bronco Lane, Sugarfoot, and the 4th program (rotating series) Maverick. And while Sgt Preston had King, the Wonderdog, there was always Rin-Tin-Tin. How about Cochise and Broken Arrow?

15. freefall

freefall New Member

I know you can buy a mares leg, I just can't get myself to spend the money on that right now. Maybe folks would donate to that???:rolleyes:

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sure. Here's a nickel for ya. :D

nickel.jpg

17. steve666

steve666 New Member

I wish Encore Westerns had more of the old series on; like Bat Masterson, Shennendoah, The Rebel, Sugarfoot, Branded, The Guns of Will Sonnet, and even The Wild Wild West, along with scads of others.

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They are starting "Wagon Train" on New Years...

19. IDVague

IDVague New Member

It is sometimes hard to find a western without Bob Steele in it. He was really a great actor and had many small uncredited roles, but his scenes are often memorable.

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Here's a bit of trivia for you, without looking it up, what was the name of Sky King's airplane?

I also watched Zorro and Bonanza. :eek: