Class 01 FFL and AR Assembly

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Olympus, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've been getting a lot of people asking why I don't sell complete AR uppers. I have a Class 01 FFL and I've been scared about anything that could be construed as "manufacturing", so I've been selling individual parts, unassembled. But I have a lot of customers interested in buying complete uppers mostly.

So my question is, as a Class 01, is there anything with an AR that I can assemble and sell and not be in violation of manufacturing? Such as, can I assemble a complete upper (upper receiver, BCG, charing handle, barrel, handguard, etc)? Can I assemble a complete lower by itself (lower, LPK, buffer, and stock)? Can I do one but the other?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

These are the folks you REALLY need to ask-

ATF- Federal Firearms Licensing Center

244 Needy Road Martinsburg, West Virginia 24505 USA

Voice: (866) 662-2750 (Toll Free)

The folks to talk to are over in the Firearms Technical branch- the answer they give you is the one you can take to the bank. Answers from local ATF office- eh.... not so much.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. ggenovez

ggenovez New Member

I asked my ATF agent during the interview. He said as far as the ATF is concerned it is not a firearm and you don't even need a license.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As long as it is the upper.
    Start assembling lowers and you need another license (unless you assemble for yourself).

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

So true.

In fact the goblins in milwaukee follow them around cuz the local branch is so inept they often get their full autos and vehicles stolen. Heh.

7. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

You would be good to go with complete uppers, but you would need a class 7 to sell assembled lowers since that I assembling what is classified as the "actual firearm". That is how it was explained to me.

I applied for a class 7, so I could sell ones I build. Or could sell coated receivers. Apparently coating falls under the modifying category.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  8. 1911love

1911love New Member

Did you have to pay ITAR or were you granted an exemption? I want an 07 to make extra money like the OP, but paying ITAR wouldn't make it worth my time.

9. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Also getting mine to make extra money primarily coating receivers and parts. Not really to manufacture guns, so no I have not done anything with ITAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. 1911love

1911love New Member

The ITAR regs say all 07s are bound by it, complete BS. Good luck, keep us updated on how things are going. I really want to do the same and I appreciate the information you have to offer.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I called and talked to an agent in Technology branch. He confirmed that assembling and selling a complete upper is not considered manufacturing and a Class 01 CAN do this.

A Class 01 CANNOT assemble and sell a complete lower. A Class 01 CAN sell a complete lower than is already assembled by the manufacturer.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Firearms Talk mobile app