Claiming a buck

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Limbhanger, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Limbhanger

Limbhanger New Member

Hello to all, new to the board.

I have a basis question when it comes to deer hunting with a gun, and wanted to basically poll all die-hard gunners as to what they would do in the following scenario?

Scenario, you are out buck hunting with a gun, and a great buck comes running into view and you drop him, and were talking an exceptional buck in the eyes of the gunner. As you approach the downed buck you notice a bowhunter following up on the same buck. And after further inspection the bowhunter had but a perfect double lung shot on the buck, but after the buck traveled another 60 yards or so, and the time it took the bowhunter to get out of his stand and on the buck, you finished him, although the bowhunters shot would have had the same results within another minute timeframe?

Would you give up the buck to the bowhunter or claim it? I realize most situtations say, it's whoever drops it when it comes to gun hunting. But in this scenario what would you do? Were talking a lethal shot that just required a bit more time, not talking about a bad shot on him? Thanks

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

It is the Bow hunters deer!!

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First, welcome to the forum. How's about stopping in the Introductions thread to say hello and tell us something about yourself.

I am curious as to what guys say on the hunting forums have to say on the matter.

For me, it is whomever kills the deer gets the deer. Who is to say that this deer did not have some super healing skillz to mend the lung shot? Did the gun hunter not see the HUGE blood spew from the arrow lung shot?

It is skecthy, but it is the hunter who DROPS the animal dead who wins. I would (as a hunter both bow and gun) not be happy as either hunter, but rules are rules. The unwritten rule is just plain old respect of other hunters.

I would feel bad shooting at an injured deer. Lung shots are not the type where the deer just walks off with no obvious blood. At 60 yds from the arrow shot, that deer is not acting normally, nor is it not bleeding profusely.

Tough one to call. Maybe arm wrestle for it. Flip a coin.

How big is the buck?

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Not so. Make a better shot thru the heart next time, so sorry...

5. jpattersonnh

Well when you go to register the animal, the registar may have a question or 2 about the extra holes made by a broadhead. I have had deer that I have shot scooped up by other hunters, hunters as in more than one. I carry a sidearm. If the bowhunter's shot a leathal, it is his. I'll help him drag it.

Edit: But that is me and my State laws...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Simple, shoot the bow hunter, you have the gun!

Reindeer deer hunting Christmas Ruldolph.jpg

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Seriously, there would be no question about holes made by any weapon. Dead is dead tagged is tagged and checked is checked. Are you are saying that the first shooter on a deer in your state is the legal tagger of the dead deer?

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Always with the easy way out that smacks ya in the face like the reality of an ugly girlfriend. Good point, Cane. :cool:

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I keep it because I have a gun he has a stick that flings sticks.

My 30-06 kills you faster than your stick kills me.

Me I would let the guy who first shot it have it unless it was a gut shot.

10. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

West coast hunters have a bow season and a rifle season so that situation is implausible. I assume that this is whitetail? East coast?

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

FYI--Heart shot deer with bow will run farther (up to 250yards). The double lung shot is the quickest way to kill a deer with an arrow (outside of a spine/head shot) There is usually less than 125yard blood trail following dbl lung....02

As to the OP's question----What may be "legal" and hunting ethics aren't entirely the same thing.
    If I was the rifleman in this scenario, the bowhunter gets the deer no question. Now if it was gutshot or hit in the a$$,etc--Im takin the deer.

Traditional ethics say rifle shot deer goes to whoever shot it last. However, there are jagoffs that will have another hunters deer drop dead in front of them and they'll shoot it again on the ground and take the deer as their own.

I look upon that like I look at people that dont stand for the national anthem---
    Just because its not illegal doesn't mean you're not an a$$hole

Personally if a deer comes up to me mortally wounded with a rifle and I drop it, Im waiting for the hunter who shot it to trail the deer and they can have it. I mean it could be some kids first deer or something.
    Thats just me. They dont show up to claim it, im takin it.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I agree with what gatekeeper said above.

13. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Some hunters go by the ole "first blood" rule which IMO sucks. I'm of the "first killing shot" school.

I once shot a whitetail with a .338 mag in the liver that ran nearly four hundred yard before it realized it was dead. Along this whitetails death run, another hunter shot it in the *** with a .243. He eventually agreed with me that the 13 pointer was my deer after some coaxing from his hunting buddies. If this gentleman would have made a better shot on the whitetail, let say heart or lungs, I would of let him have the deer hands down.

IMO sportsman-like conduct should be first and foremost when hunting, otherwise, we are no better than the animals we pursue.

14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

It's a matter of sporstmanship and character, I would give the deer to the bow hunter. If it is a matter of feeding my family or not, I would probably go along with Canebreak!

15. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

16. jpattersonnh

Legally, yes. But proving what was the 1st shot may be a different story. As stated, Bow hunter has a stick and string...

I was called to track a Buck last year by a Bow hunter. I know him. This is funny. He was in his stand on the edge of a field, A nice buck steps out so he draws back. As he releases the buck kicks up its back legs and pivots, @ss to him. He ends up w/ a shot right up its @ss. The buck took off back into the woods, flights visible under its tail. He had no blood trail, so he calls me freaking out. It would have been real black and useless to go out that night. I told him to get up early and walk across this 18 acre field. He found it the next morning near the edge of the woods at the far end. He severed the femoral artery. The buck ran at least 400 yards. He was lucky the coyotes didn't get it. In NH your name and address has to be on every arrow shaft. If someone else found it, he could have been in a world of trouble.
    I've not told that story to any folks around here, he would never live it down.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

wow i would so use taht story accidentally shooting an arrow up a deer's butt... i dont think you could do that if you were trying for the "ten ring"

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I always heard "bull's eye" not "bull's butthole". :p

19. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Around here, we call that a "West Virginia Heart Shot" :D

20. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

maybe this is part of the reason that there are seperate seasons for bow and rifle.