Civil war vets doing Rebel Yell (rare footage)!

Discussion in 'History' started by jon1992d, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I was searching civil war videos on YouTube when I stumbled apon this gem. I consider it and honor and privilege to be able to hear the yell come from the mouths of the men that once screamed it on the battlefield. [ame]http://youtu.be/s6jSqt39vFM[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Wow. I bet hearing this on the battlefield left a good number of Yankees scared to death. Just hearing it here kinda sent a chill down my spine. It's great to actually see and hear some Civil War veterans on film, other than pictures. Thank you for digging this up!

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Pretty amazing. Wish there were a way to sit down just sit and listen to a few of those guys just talk for a while. Good stuff, thanks.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I spent a few years in the South during the late eighties. Those southern girls sure know how to do a rebel yell while......;)

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

......spitting chew out the window of a pickup truck while headed up to 7/11 to get a 6 pack of Bud????

Just kidding, love my girls from the South.

Southern born, Southern bred, when I die I'll be Southern dead.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Damn, I read the rebel yell has never been recorded. Guess you can't believe everything you read. Author quoted some Confederate Officer, whose name I can't recall, was asked during one of the reunions to give an example of the famous "Rebel Yell." He politely declined, saying it could only be done justice at a full gallop and he was long past his galloping years.

I thought the reply sounded authentic, the Veteran had earned his meal and a few drinks w/o having to perform at a dog & pony show for civilians.

plenty of records from Union soldiers to their families describe the "experience" of surviving the "Reble Yell." Personally, I thought some of the panic might have had something to do w the sight of thousands of bayonets coming right at you.

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Rebel Yell is said to have been borrowed from the American Indians. It did not work out so well them either.:(

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

...out for a night on the town.

Attached Files:

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

GRITS. Girls Raised In The South. :cool:

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God. :D

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats exactly what I had been told, the south learned from the Indians that crazy and loud equaled scary and dangerous! The Scottish had their own version as well with Warpipes included. All meant to convince the enemy that they were about to meet their death at the hands of a superior and ruthless killing force (even if it turned out not to be so). It would have convinced me to call for backup for sure!

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

While it does give away your position, and the panic it created had the ability to unnerve even seasoned troops. "Everyone ran as if pursued by his own personal devil." Whole Regiments ran, the majority w/o firing a shot.

It is hard for us to understands it's impact "today" but it seemed to tap into something primal.

12. Wallace

Wallace New Member

If that video doesn't fill your heart with pride then take your liberal self somewhere else!

13. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am a hopeless stick in the mud. With all due respect. Would you have asked me to either rejoice or find some place else, if I turned out to be Black?

15. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

Mercator, I could give a dam less about your color...I respect my heritage...Does being black resolve you from being the color that sold the slave to the south?...I will be at our 150th reunion of the last battle at Fort Blakely (5 days after Lee surrendered)...My GGF fought at that battle,we have never in my family thought slaves were right to own...we were invaded by a superior Northern Army, and we lost(temporarily)...The fight goes on...until the South is on equal footing..I fly the First Confederate Flag at my home, with the Stars and Stripes higher and out front... Am I loyal,yes to my state and the Constitution,not your color..

Attached Files:

16. Wallace

Wallace New Member

The civil war was about state and federal rights. It was about how the government was run. People have this false idea in their heads that the civil war was about slavery. In fact 5 out of every 8 slaves were white. England was shopping people over that were either criminals or were in some sort of debt and selling them as slaves/indentured servants. There were more slaves per capita in the north and Abraham Lincoln himself had slaves. The most ruthless and evil slave owner recorded was actually black. I could care less what color people are, what I care about is people banning the flag of Dixie and people giving the south a bad wrap because people think the civil war was about slavery.

17. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The North understood and forgave the South long ago. But now the idiot liberals and less understanding that those that actually fought against the South.

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

And as noticed in the vid, the Yell varied as to who was doing it :)
    It was as much a scare tactic as it was comraderie,
    each area, and sometimes each family, generally had it's own version...
    South Central TN has a distinctive Rebel Yell,
    which is still being passed down today from soldier to soldier.

Although, I was taught, "take good, solid cover, away from the platoon a bit, then let 'er rip!
    That way you can draw fire/attention while your guys light 'em up!!
    Scares the bejeebers out of 'em, and any that survive will remember..."
    I'd imagine there were more than a few Germans that could attest to the
    effectiveness of the Rebel Yell in WW2 ;)

20. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

So the Civil War began with a "Yell" and ended with a whisper over 650,000 American graves? :(