Civil War Photos.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gorknoids, Mar 18, 2010.

1. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great post! We don't see war in this rawness anymore. Maybe that's what the douchtastic war protesters need to see, or better yet, experience!

There seams to be a preponderance of Confederate dead in those photos. Biased media?

And I didn't know Andy Sipowicz was in the Civil War; (Here's your war, right here!)

Attached Files:

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey gorks, your siggy is wrong.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" ...

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Thanks for the sobering reminder of the fact that Freedom isn't Free!!

5. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Powerful photographs, especialy of the dead soldiers. A strong reminder of how horrific war can be. The American Civil War was an exceptional tragedy.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A lot of people don't know that from DC to Richmond there were not a single tree left during the war because they were using the lumber for anything and everything they could. They were burning it to stay warm in the winter, Building small out buildings to live in. This area of the country looked like Scorched earth.

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Incredible photos, gork...thanks for sharing them.

It's completely inconceivable to me what it would be like for a country to suffer that most terrible, bloody and gut-wrenching event, a Civil War. A national wound that severe has to run deep :(

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Does this subject remind anyone else of current events and the hope that it doesn't happen again?

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Very nice find Gork. I always enjoy historical photos.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Thanks for sharing, what a find. Great chronicle of a horrible time in our nation's history.

And, as an amateur photographer, I'm still amazed at how black and white photographs can capture so much more than color, IMO.

11. Brad

Brad New Member

12. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Check this out. Took the second one last May. The lowest hole near the peak is from a cannon ball.

Attached Files:

13. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

As a computer science major, I appreciate this. =)

14. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Yep

Those who have seen never forget but find it hard to explain.

15. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I had a European ask me once if American history was like a week long class. He joked and said that at least our history has years with triple digits. :(

I had a great x ??? grandpa that died in the Civil War.

16. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

My Great-Great Grandfather was at Gettysburg with Company B, 15th Alabama and after the war wrote a book called “Some incidents and events of the Civil War”. Last May Linda and I took Grand-pa’s book and by comparing his description of landmarks and being there on the battlefield we were able to follow his path of advance. I honestly don’t know how he survived. His company was on the extreme right flank of Longstreet’s corp. and advanced down the ridge across plum run and up Big Round top. It gives you a feeling I can’t really describe to follow in the steps of your ancestor in such a historic location as Gettysburg.

17. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Very nice touching photos thank you:)

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

you didnt show his naked ass, you blew it

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ah- Genl Bejamin "Beast" Butler. Beloved by civilians throughout the South. Some of you may not be aware of a bit of furniture known as a Butler Chair. Looks like a large wooden framed chair, but the seat is hinged, and lifts up to reveal a chamber pot. The pots were adorned with a painting of Benj. Butler. On the INSIDE of the pot!

And while I may pull your leg about a lot of things, that one is for real.

For some interesting reading that is a bit different, find a copy of "A House Undivided" by Allen E. Roberts. Stories about Masons in the military- North and South- during the Civil War.