civil war history

Discussion in 'History' started by locutus, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Rebel Private Front and Rear: Memoirs of a Confederate Soldier, by William Fletcher

A very good read for the civil war buff.

Available at Amazon.com

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Thanks for the info.
    I've been reading a some stories about Champ Ferguson lately. I had never heard of him until recently. Apparently the South surrendered but he did not. Depending on what you read he was either one of the first American serial killers or most dedicated soldier.

Supposedly the movie "Outlaw Jose Whales" is loosely based on his life. Quite a character.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Traitor and cold blooded murderer.

4. locutus

One man's traitor is another man's patriot. It's hard to judge soldier's actions during war.

Dozen of union army officers serving during the union occupation of the south returned home as heroes who had restored the rule of law. The actions they took in the summary execution of several thousands of civilians today would brand them as war criminals.

I find it hard to judge the men from either side. A "war crime" today was a normal military duty back then.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I am familiar with the Lost Cause philosophy, propaganda in many forms, as well as the difference between right and wrong and even good vs. evil.

6. locutus

I think we all are conversant with those values. By today's standards.

But my point is that I will not apply the standards of 2013 to the actions of men in 1864.

If you feel you can use that yardstick, be my guest. I cannot.

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

No problem locutus. Stipulating that Americans have become more moral over the past 150 years as you say, for argument's sake, I will only apply the most fundamental ethics from 1865 on. That would make him...

...a traitor and cold blooded murderer.

By the way, your defense didn't work at The Nuremburg Trials and I assure you it won't work in the Left's defense of the Boston Bomber either, but at least we've gotten a sense of the company you keep.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The American Civil War of April 1860 was preceded by the Civil Wars of 1776 and 1812. The Civil War of Five Aprils has become such a contradiction due to the issue of servitude. The Northern States had only given up slavery 40 years earlier. Facts are slaves were owned by Gen. Grant in Kentucky. Slaves were maintained in about every Northern state even after the war ended.
    The issue of slavery was much less important than the profit struggle between "Free" Farmers and slave holders. Most of the solders Blue and Grey that fell were pawns of Northern and Southern wealth. :(

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I guess some things never change, wars for oil come to mind...

10. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I've always felt the war had much more to do with the value of the cotton grown in the South that was needed to feed the textile industry of the North.
    Believe it or not you can't always believe what you are thought in school. LOL

11. locutus

I see no connection.

The left-liberal propaganda about the "oil wars" is just that. Left-liberal propaganda.

Same as the pro-communist demonstrators in the sixties with their vicious lies about the "capitalists" being behind the VN war.

12. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I always thought it was because of the ports. Most of the federal taxes were collected at the ports, and the overwhelming majority of ports were south of the Mason Dixon line. The federal government would have been bankrupt had the south succeed, and that's why they couldn't let the south succeed. Now if I could only remember where I read that? :confused:

13. TLuker

TLuker New Member

So was Andrew Jackson a war criminal? :rolleyes:

14. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Col. John S Mosby (The Grey Ghost) never surrendered either.

15. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

History is riten by the victor just like most wars the civil war was not fought over slavery and racism as the government would love all to believe. it was about a Government pushing people to far and Money when the south asked Lincoln to secede from the union in peace Lincoln replied who will pay for the government. Southern Blood runs deep in my family I can trace it back to Jesse James and other kin. The Confederate Flag still waves proudly over the farm always will!

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Birch, it's obvious you don't even know what "the" confederate flag is you claim you proudly fly. I can recommend a good single book if you'd like to learn about the US Civil War.

As for the igniting cause, ask the Confederate States -- most of THEM cited slavery as it in their articles of cecession. There were definitely regional differences -- most obvious and critical to the South was they wanted to separate to KEEP slavery they knew would inevitably be voted away. They were afraid. Period. And they started a shooting war, insurrection, a rebellion, killing to do it.

There is no disputing this unless you simply don't know history and somehow feel compelled to tie yourself into evil blindly per The Lost Cause nonsense.

By the way, that all has little to do with the rank and file soldiers on either side. And some officers. The North would have gladly traded Hooker, Burnside and McLellan, the latter twice, for Lee.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There were millions of acres of yet to be settled farm lands in the Midwest. Cotton farming was fading. Sons of Northern Free Farmers were subject to smaller non profitable farms.
    The conflict then was Slave labor or Free Family Farms in the New West. Lincoln represented the Free Farm movement in the Midwest. The rest is history. :confused:

18. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

to each his own belive the BS you want Hock ive never cared for your nonsense input on anything! I will keep telling people the REAL TRUTH FOR THE SOUTHERN CAUSE

19. locutus

The war is over, guys.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Whose fighting any old war? You wouldn't even know what side I'm on. So I'll tell ya. I'm only on the side of truth -- and there's only one of them. And it's not Southern. Or Northern. And by the way Birch, that's not the Confederate flag ya got there. Nor flying on your farm as you might have found out since I brought it up...

Last edited: May 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.