church & guns

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MaineMan, Jan 11, 2014.

1. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

I grew up in a Christian home, went to church every Sunday. I didn't like it, but I never felt threatened, and my family never took a gun to church.
    I don't think there was ever a gun brought into that church to this date.

It some what intrigues me when I see people post that they bring a gun to church. I wonder what they are afraid of. I also wonder why they are scared to go to heaven. They have been praying to go to heaven ever since they heard about it, and if its all its advertised to be, its better than being here.

deep thoughts by Jack Handy2

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i have desire to rush things!

in all seriousness, a random violent attack can happen anywhere, even a church. i am sure that those people last year in Aurora Colorado watching a movie never suspected of being violently attacked by a crazed gunmen either.

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

The Bible teaches us that there are Shepards and lambs. A Shepard's responsibility is to protect and give guidance to the flock.

I have no problem with Shepards watching over the lambs, it is the natural order of things.

A very wise man once told me, "We all want to meet Jesus, just not today."

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am a Christian...a real one. I am not just someone that goes to church. Jesus has made a huge impact in my life. That being said I carry a gun every time I enter the church. And my Pastor knows it. I told him that if some nutcase comes in shooting I will try to stop them. He liked the idea.

Being shot by some nutcase in a church is not dying for the cause of Christ. That to me is no different that being shot at the mall. If you were preaching the Gospel and shot for it that would be dying for Christ.

I don't care if I am at the bank, the movies, the mall or church. If someone starts shooting innocent people, I will try to stop them.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I bring a gun everywhere, including church. Trust in the lord, not the child molesting priest.

You'll find more of God in a blade of grass than in any church.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Depends on the church, depends on the neighborhood... Get my drift?

Some people carry anyway because they like to feel armed. Others know emotions may fly high in a gathering crowd, or that certain troublemakers routinely attend. I think you were blessed to be in a good congregation, and those who feel unsafe in theirs might wanna look elsewhere.

8. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

Question does this thread only apply to Christian churches or others

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

More people have been killed over religion than any other cause.

10. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

A few years ago my church started a security team. They asked that anyone with a concealed carry permit that would be willing to help would please contact the security leader. I came forward as did a bunch of other people. We were all able to know who each other were. But only the people that came forward were allowed to know who was on the list. It was very surprising. There were several of us all sitting together and didn't know it. There are a crap load of guns in my church. A shooter would not last long.

As long as it is not illegal to carry into a church in the state you live in, there are probably a bunch of armed people. You just don't know it, because we don't talk about it with people that don't carry.

12. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I carry to church.
    Pastor knows it ,and we have a deal, he sees sumpin wrong, let me know.

I carry, not because of the people in the congregation, but because of some nutcase that hates church or christians, that may show up with bad intentions.

I sit where i can see all entrances , my family knows ....if I say down...dont ask ..just do it.

I have my wife, 3 daughters and 3 SIL and 6 grandkids in our church.
    I will protect them at all cost.

The Lord helps those that help themselves.Im helping myself and mine.

Jim

13. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

I am thinking that if you feel like you have to be armed at church, you might think about finding a safer place to practice your freedom of religion. It seems a bit paranoid to think you will be attacked at your place of worship unless there is a reason that you would be attacked, and then again, find a better church. You should be able to go to church with out fear, and you should trust in gods plan :)

14. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

I'm asatru a pagan religion and it is a part of our religion to stay armed

HÁVAMÁL 38

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.

I can see it because there are some bad people who want to hurt pagans

15. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

When "hate christians" does no longer exist, then Ill feel at ease.
    Too many Rural country churchs have been targets .

It aint my church , its any church.

Jim

16. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

what church was a target, and by whom?

17. Mercator

Mercator New Member

If you don't mind, is that the same as Sikh?

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

surely you are not making the assumption that just because a person is in a house of worship, they are free from being attacked by violent offenders.

violent attacks on people can happen anywhere, and at any time.

19. enfieldaddict

enfieldaddict New Member

Actually its the Norse/Germanic like the Vikings (I hate that word its a verb not a noun)
    Its one of the very modern pagans that have solid roots in ore Christian times

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

You wonder WHY! any of us would carry a gun to church!

Maine Man!
    Here is one of your answers!

Let me tell you how Intriguing it really is!

My wifes first cousin who lives in Fort Worth TX. attended the Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth Texas. It is a prominant middle class neighborhood far from the hood!

She fortunately had some car trouble while attempting to go to church one evening. She was running late when she finally got there!
    As she arrived there were police, medical ambulances, rescue and fire trucks everywhere.

What had happened at around 7PM a man by the last name of Ashbrook 47 years old and a wacko walked into the sanctuary with a 9 MM Semi-Auto Pistol and emptied 3 full magazines into the attendees. Killing 3 teenagers, 3 adults on the scene and another one or two died in the hospital hours later.
    Why do we carry? Well under the present times it is great to set twiddling your thumbs and say well the Lord will protect us at all times. You know! I think the Lord also expects us to be a little wiser and stewards for our brothers and sisters. And as one said here in this thread, maybe God expects some common sense that says maybe we should also be prepared and be able to protect the innocent ourselves on his behalf. I am a retired Law Enforcement Officer of nearly 30 years! And yes like many here on this Forum hardly go anywhere without a piece! What am I affraid of? Well honestly, not much after being LE and on SWAT for over 16 years and in the Army before that. But even myself, some controllable fear is not bad in a sense. Because it also generates a sense of responsibility or should. I do not so much carry a gun for "only" my protection. But I will be D****d if a senario like happened in "Shirley's Church" or even in some of the recent incidents at resteraunts, movie theaters, schools, shopping centers and other places, if I am going to set around and stand by while some wacko kills innocent people without me engaging them. That is why these freaks take advantage of what they like to target, being Guns Free Zone with innocent people who have no chance of survival, resistance and can not protect themselves!
    So we Carry! If some one could set buy and not do anything in these situations! Well I an Intrigued! Welcome to the Real World!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014