Chronic wasting disease in deers?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by 94browninghunt, May 28, 2012.

1. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

I was just reading some hunting stories, and this one guy shot a deer in illinois with CWD. Basically it's a mad cow disease of the deer family. Have you encountered a deer yourself with CWD?

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Not sure if it was this. Friend shot one, we went to skin it out.....the meat was greenish and really soft. From the hind quarters where it was at its worst, to the shoulders where it was minor. No idea.

3. 94browninghunt

from wikipedia: "...decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression, repetitive walking in set patterns, and a smell like meat starting to rot. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyperexcitability and nervousness. Affected animals continue to eat grain but may show decreased interest in hay. Excessive salivation and grinding of the teeth also are observed. Most deer show increased drinking and urination."

[​IMG]

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

The meat did smell rotten.

5. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I hate to see something get shot and wasted but sounds like you did this one a favor and ended long term suffering. Let the coyotes eat it and hopefully catch it.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Chronic wasting disease is real and will most likely eventually cause a large drop in ungulate populations in the US. It is spreading rapidly and no one really has much understanding of this disease. A friend shot a diseased mule deer in northwest Wyoming last fall.

7. 94browninghunt

Hence i'm worried especially this season, since i hunt a lot in IL, and eat all my meat! I'll have to find a place that i can get the meat tested.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

DAMN, from those symptoms, I think I may have it.

And, I just thought I was getting old.