Chrome lined VS Non-chrome lined Barrels

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by fivefourfiveX39, Sep 10, 2012.

1. fivefourfiveX39

fivefourfiveX39 New Member

Which do you prefer? CHROME LINED I MEAN? Dahm iPhone's

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I'd choose chrome-lined over chrime-lined any day ;)

3. fivefourfiveX39

You know what I meant!! It's iPhone auto correct!!!

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Both my AR's are chrome lined. My carbine shoots 3/4" groups all day. My rifle shoots 60 shot groups the size of a quarter.

Non0chrome lined is reportedly more accurate, but I do not know how much more accurate I am than that.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For an AK go chrome. You may get the oportunity to use questionable ammo one day, and the lining extends your barrel life and simplifies clean up.

6. billt

billt New Member

Unless you're going to be shooting a lot of corrosive ammo there really isn't much advantage in Chrome lining. If you're getting an AR for varminting, or any kind of high power competition, you are far better off with Stainless Steel than Chromed lined. Stainless will provide far better accuracy. If you look at the high priced, accurized, AR-15 models, none of them have Chromed lined barrels.

This is yet another carry over from the military, much like 1 in 7" twist barrels, where the necessity has been overemphasized in the civilian market. How many civilians do you know who have either burned out, or shot out an AR-15 barrel? I don't mean those who SAY they've done it on the Internet, but those you personally know who have actually put that many rounds downrange to actually shoot out a AR-15 barrel. I know of none, and I know plenty of people who shoot AR-15 rifles on a regular basis.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

How does one tell a recently purchased AK is chrome-lined? Everything else has been wonderfully identifiable.

8. billt

billt New Member

Remove the machinery cover, recoil spring and guide rod, and the bolt carrier. With the gun cleaned and under good lighting, the chamber should have a dull, grayish cast to it if it is Chrome plated. If it is not it will have a much shiner, polished metallic look.

9. fivefourfiveX39

That's true I have many Kalashnikov's and I know the pros and cons of both barrels I just wanted to get mixed opinions.

Attached Files:

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Thanks BillT. :)