Christmas gift

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Shannon1976, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Shannon1976

Shannon1976 New Member

My husband wants to buy me the Ruger lcp for x mas...do any of you have one or tried one out?? I like it but the sights are terrible.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I looked long and hard at the Ruger LCP. I think it is a very nice gun. What I ended up buying was a Sig P238. But I sure would be happy if someone bought me an LCP.

As for the sights, a pocket type pistol isn't really a range gun. The purpose of a gun like an LCP is almost purely self defense. If you are using that gun for self defense it is very likely you will be shooting at a "target" at fairly close range you won't have time to be using the sights.

If someone was buying me an LCP for Christmas, I would be very happy and would be happy to own that gun.

3. Shannon1976

Shannon1976 New Member

Don't get me wrong I am very happy to be getting one, I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand info.
    And thanks for your input, I go to the range alot and that is were the sights might bug me. I like your point of view, I wasn't looking at it from that perspective . Thank you winds

4. winds-of-change

I understood you were happy to be getting the gun. I rented an LCP and shot it while I was looking for a pocket pistol. I thought it was a very nice gun and I would have no problem owning or carrying one. I just liked the Sig better because it has an external safety and it was a touch heavier....both features I really liked.

Enjoy that little pocket pistol and post pictures of it when you get it. :D

5. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never shot that particular pistol. I had a Ruger SR9C the only complaint I had about it was it was really picky about ammo, it wouldn't load anything less than 124 grain and I hated the chambered round indicator. I let my friend take it to the range, she loved it and bought it from me, as long as she puts decent ammo in it she doesn't have any problems with it. I think they're good guns, just not really what I was looking for.

6. girlsluvguns2

girlsluvguns2 New Member

Havnt shot that particular one, but we have had good luck with all of our rugers. Hubby has a couple Im not even sure what they are they are older. Then he got LC9 a few months ago, he likes it as his carry gun. And I just got the LCR .38 for my carry. I love it. Although havnt had much range time with it yet, went to our outdoor range and it started raining so only got 10 rounds through, but it'll be a good one for conceal.
    Santa is treating you well!!!

7. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

My bro in law has one and loves it.

8. winds-of-change

Damn, girl. I would love to own a little LCR. I have a 'thing' for revolvers. Classic beauties, always dependable.

9. Shannon1976

Shannon1976 New Member

I am def. a revolver chic myself, right now my carry gun is the lcr. I love it I have never had an issue with it. The reason I want a pistol is because you can get such thin, light, beautiful pieces...

10. Cinderocka1989

I would like a revolver some day, I'm just not sure yet which one I want.

11. winds-of-change

Very true, indeed. I have a Sig P238 that I will carry as soon as I am legally able to. But if I ever need to defend myself at home, it will be my ever faithful Ruger GP100 that I reach for. Nothing beats a revolver for dependability, in my opinion.

12. girlsluvguns2

girlsluvguns2 New Member

I agree. I've seen my hubby have so many problems with all different brands of semi-autos that I was easily convinced I wanted something that wouldn't jam or fail to fire. Revolvers go bang every time. I do have a semi auto hi-point that has never given me any problems, but it is too heavy to carry.

13. winds-of-change

Yep, they do. My two semi-autos go bang 99.5% of the time. When I can carry, I will carry my little Sig. The other semi-auto is a .22. That gun is one fun shoot, for sure. :D

14. EVT

EVT New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum, nice to have a ladies group!
    I got the RUGER LCP for the holidays, like it just fine. First trip to the range it jamed a few times. The range guy helped me out & asked if it was the first time I had used this gun, I told him yes & asked him why he wanted to know, he told me the gun seemed a bit "dry". Also, semi autos can be finiky about their ammo, I'm a revolver girl, so this was new news to me. Met a guy at Gander Mountain while looking for ammo, he told me his RUGER LCP likes CCI BLAZER BRASS, so I got a few boxes of that, my gun did like the new ammo. After the break in period & the right ammo, I gotta say, I really love my little RUGER LCP, it's so lite, I forget I'm carrying it, I use an in the waistband DiSantis holster or the Marilyn bra holster. As far as the no safety thing, my revolvers don't have a safety, so I'm used to not having one, I'm always very careful holstering , it's a nice sleek gun. I do use different carry ammo. Also, as far as the sights go, yeah, there really aren't any, so it is a point & shoot at the bad guy kinda gun, so practice with that in mind.
    Would like to know if you ended up getting it & how you like it. Have fun & stay safe...

15. Cinderocka1989

Welcome and we're glad you found us. Ammo was one of the problems I had with my Ruger and the main reason I sold it was because it wouldn't shoot anything less than 124 gr, when I'm practicing at the range I prefer to buy cheap ammo. Trip and I were discussing sights last night, he said that on a semi-auto if you can see the firing pin you point it where you want the bullet to go and in theory if your holding your gun straight, your bullet should fly true. Haven't tried it yet but it makes sense.

16. winds-of-change

A lot of very good points here.

One problem I sometimes have when shooting a semi-auto is I have to remember to not "limp wrist". This is mostly with larger calibers. I went shooting with another member here on the forum. When I shot his .45, it failed to cycle for me. It never failed for him. It was because I wasn't holding the gun firmly enough.