Christmas gift from wife!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Wambli, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

One of my Christmas goodies this year, one piece vintage Sambar Stag grips for the 7.5” Charcoal blue .45 Colt Uberti 1873.

I need to finish fitting them. One piece grips are not drop-in but they are not very far off.

[​IMG]

Billy9mm, manta, Sniper03 and 8 others like this.
  2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Sure is purdy. Awesome Christmas gift.

Rifling82 likes this.

3. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

4. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

The grip is really nice! Give us an update on how it shoots when you get a chance. Really sweet .45

5. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

That is just drop-dead gorgeous!!! My envyness is huge! I've often thought of putting a nicer set of grips on my ROA, but poverty got in the way of my ambition.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I love my wife, she sure knows how to shop for me...

This gun will be a central piece in my SASS return in the spring. I used to shoot a long time ago and recently decided that it was foolish of me to stop. When I have more time I’ll post pics of the full getup including the all original Winchester ‘97 and the Uberti 1873 rifle.

towboater likes this.
  7. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Very nice! Uberti has come a very long way from when they were supplying 1873 revolvers for spaghetti westerns in days gone by. Now, they work and [email protected]@K more like the Colt SAA's. Never did like those brass grip frames. Other than .45 Colt caliber, it's hard to think about that style of revolver chambered in .38 Special.

towboater, Rifling82 and Wambli like this.
  8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I had one of the early guns with the brass frame in .357 mag and it was not a bad gun at all, BUT it was nowhere near as nice as the two new 1873s I bought last year. I also have one of their Remington 1890s in, of course, .45 Colt and that gun is SMOOOOOOOOOOTH!!!

I think I have a thing for old stuff, this just came in the mail today...

I find myself with a growing interest in older cutlery and associated accouterments of the 1800s. Kind'a like the stuff your average guy 100+ years before my time would have used in his daily life.

Part of it is my renewed interest in the game of SASS and the "persona" aspect of the game, part of it is my rediscovered love for my cowboy days which I intend to go back to early in 2020, but also because, well I just LOVE old stuff (he says as he sips coffee made in a Guardian Service drip coffee pot from the 1940-50s).

My latest pickups. The knife and fork are normal table ware for the early to mid 1800s. The company Ibbotson Globeworks operated out of Sheffield England and this knife/fork set according to my research is from circa 1820s. The Letter Opener is from the longest operating American Cutlery company Lamson, Goodnow and is probably 1860-1890s vintage.

I intend to restore them to a slightly better condition without taking much of their "character" off and then I intend to eat with the fork and knife (I still need to find a period spoon to go with the set) and the letter opener will live on my desk for daily use. The handles are very old stag and the letter opener is real bone.

[​IMG]

9. SGWGunsmith

I've worked on several of the Uberti SAA revolvers from the mid 70's and they were full of sharp edges on internal parts. Cylinders developed some very serious, and deep bolt stop gouges that could hardly be disclosed as "drag marks". Fit and finish was extremely mediocre, at best, and cocking the hammer could be heard in the next county.
    The new versions have come much more than quite a ways from those early guns from what I've actually experienced.

10. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Yeah, I should have been more specific. By early I meant 80s. By then they had started addressing their issues. I did break the firing pin on that gun and it was a BEAR to get a replacement. The new ones rival Colt in fit and finish. Their one piece grips from the factory are just incredibly well fit. I wish they used better wood.

11. SGWGunsmith

One thing for sure, 'ol Matt Dillon could outdraw any challenger with his 7½ inch Colt .45 than those "slow pokes" with 4 5/8 inch guns, and besides, his longer barrel was that much closer to those dudes.

12. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Oh I got that covered. The 7.5” will ride crossdraw on most rigs. I have the 4 5/8” ready strong side...

7224B927-3879-434B-92CF-133B11A8A438.jpeg

towboater and Billy9mm like this.