Chopping up a shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by aandabooks, Nov 24, 2012.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

FIL gave me a shotgun he picked up on a Black Friday sale several years ago at Dunham's for just under $100. He has never liked it and I have never shot it. It is a Chinese knockoff of an Ithaca 37. Has a screw-in choke and the barrel says not to shoot steel out of it.

I don't need it but he insisted that I take it. I was thinking about chopping it up and turning it into a short barrel pistol grip pump. Anything I would do to it would stay on the legal side. Would I be ok to cut down the barrel with it saying lead only and losing the choke? Would the barrel be likely to split?

Or, should I take it to my LGS and use it as trade fodder towards my next gun that I want?

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

As long as you keep the barrel at a legal length you should be okay. I'm not sure about Illinois gun laws, but I'm from California so our laws should be similar.

As far as I know pistol grip shotguns are legal in IL.

3. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

So I found out that the overall length of the gun must be 26" and the barrel length must be 18". The pistol grip should be fine. I would double check me though, just be sure.

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Think long and hard before you cut the stock to a pistol grip. You can't put it back. If you cut the stock, you will have to deal with the stock bolt-which will be too long for the pg, and will have to be shortened and rethreaded. Then, you will have a large hole in the grip.
    The barrel will be fine with lead shot.

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would keep the stock too. I've never shot a pistol grip, but people that have say it isn't too pleasant. The stock with the short barrel would be almost carbine like, imho.

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I put a pistol grip on my HD shotgun. It did not stay on there very long before I replaced the wood. The recoil of a shotgun begs for a shoulder to rest it on. I found that the trade in size was not worth the lack of ability to aim.

7. Underdog

Underdog Member

I would use it towards a trade for something you do want. A PGO shotgun is fun for all of 5 minutes, it will hurt you. They are cool to look at but no fun to shoot.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Trade it in-
    Even a cheepo full shotgun is better than a cut up POS :eek:

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Please don't bubba another gun for us to wade through at the hock shop.

Those cut-downs all look great in the movies, but the recoil is punishing,

and, in the end, you pretty much have a useless gun.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The guys above have sound advise. If you cut the barrel and dress it up nice, it will not effect trade-in value. Most(even in gun shop) would not know it was cut(or care as short barreled shotguns sell good).

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Trade it in at the next gun buyback, laugh at the leftwing antigun idiots, make a profit, and get the Chinese POS off the market. Win-win-win.

12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Not a bad idea. I'm not near a big city where these things happen.

13. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

Use it for your next trade. It may be a 1st gun for some kid starting out if you do that.

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Oh come on -- it'll pay for the room for the first night outside The Loop. Go take in a coupla blues clubs courtesy Rahm Immanuel and his party -- you're gonna pay for it anyway.

15. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I refuse to spend a penny inside Cook County. I may live in Illinois but I refuse to support the stupidity that takes place in Chicago with any of my money.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, if you feel that strongly all i can say ---
    Stick to your guns my friend;)

17. jb8815

jb8815 New Member

I have an old wichester ranger model 150 that has a cut pistol grip handle and the recoil is nothing. I can honestly shoot it one handed (not safe I know) and it dont kick hard. I had a 870 with a tactical pistol grip from Cabelas that feels like a true pistol and I loved it.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Shortening the barrel is a good mod. But have a gunsmith do it. and leave the stock as is.

19. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

the idea of enjoying a cheap gun is not to put money into it. once you sink money in it, youll want to take care of it.
    leave it as it is and beat the daylights out of it having fun.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

To have the barrel cut off and recrowned would cost more than the gun is worth. I would trade it or use it for a truck/barn gun. I would like to find a throw away pump like that to leave in my barn. Every time we get a chicken killing critter hanging around I end up killing it with one of the luckiest pistol shots I have ever seen. I couldn't duplicate the shot with a case of ammo.