Choosing The Best $2,000 Gun Safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by CludgieVortex, Jun 19, 2013.

1. CludgieVortex

CludgieVortex New Member

After looking at dozens of videos, brochures, and Google safe reviews, I'm still not clear on what safe to buy.

Here are my stats:
    Budget is approx. $2000-$3000.
    I'll be storing approx. 5 handguns with a total value of
    Approx. $8,000. I'll also be storing 3 long guns with a total value of approx. $3,000.

I've studied Amsec, Liberty, Fort Knox, and Rhino.

I recently retired to a very rural area on 6 acres which for now is relatively free of burglaries.....but I'm not naïve to think it "won't happen to me."

Anybody's are really appreciated.

2. AR10

AR10 New Member

Safe technology has not improved in fifty years, and if anything, new safes are harder to pick a good one.

Look for an older safe UL listed for fire, and tool resistance. A locksmith in your area can help you locate one. A good used safe can also save you money.

3. CludgieVortex

CludgieVortex New Member

Thanks for the great input!

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Tread Security Tredlok

I have my safe since 1984! It's been upgraded a bit( dual locking systems) it's a tread floor model it looks like an armored footlocker. Holds 12 long arms and 12 handguns. Also have a smaller used jewelers safe I keep the ammo in...

5. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

My next safe will have an outlet within for an electric "molisture stick", and it will have interior lighting. I also prefer the large crank, and an old fashioned combination. My main safe is not the go-to safe in any emergency, I have a small electonic safe for those occasions ( and hope it never comes to that)

6. pseudolus

pseudolus New Member

Would also like pointers. Had a buddy buy the "Costco" special for $799. While a nice safe, it lacked functionality

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is very difficult to beat a liberty safe for the money. The are burglar resistant and have an excellent fire protection system. A friends house burned down with a liberty safe in it. Liberty was there in days to get the safe open and his guns were in good shape. Liberty uses a foam cocoon system in the event of a fire. I don't know if his insurance paid for the safe or liberty replaced the safe but he got a new safe for free. I know Liberty comes to open the safe after a fire for free.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Liberty, Cannon, SnapSafe, are all good choices. My friend just got a SnapSafe(I think he paid 1350) but he doesn't have a Very big collection....maybe 10 Guns....

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Here's a site (youtube) that covers every known (and unknown) piece of information regarding safe purchasing from a safe expert. Good video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8[/ame]

10. CludgieVortex

CludgieVortex New Member

Great video! Curt is a guru of safe info!!

11. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Thumbs up on this video as well. Covers it all.