Choosing my first .22!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Smythe222, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Smythe222

Smythe222 New Member

Hello Everyone!

First post, and already asking for opinions/advice.

So I have read and reread a few different posts about .22s here and have gotten some fantastic info. I hope to provide enough info on what I'm looking for and my situation for you all! I am a novice shooter at best, and my good friends who've shot their whole lives have told me to grab a .22 and shoot the crap out of it and get some good instruction to start.

Now I am a college student so I'm not loaded, so I don't have thousands to dump into a gun. As far as use of the gun I'm going to do a lot of plinking, and I do a ton of backpacking and feel a .22 would be a good gun for small game.

I am looking for a .22 that is very accurate, good for a relative newbie, and is very durable. Ease of cleaning would be nice as I've never cleaned a .22. At my local shop there is a sale on the Marlin 795 for 100 bucks and in addition I'd get the $25 mail in rebate. I've also read that the Ruger 10/22 is another fantastic weapon. Any opinions/info about things to look for, cleaning tips, etc would be very much appreciated. I hope my first post is informative and well written for you all. Hope to talk to you soon!

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My opinion is get the ruger 10/22, case being they r a blank slate on everything tht u can do to them.. Plus they r really accurate and dependable. Ive had mine since i was 12 and im 33 now, havent cleaned it in years and it still shoots like a charm

3. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I'd go for the Marlin clip fed bolt action .22 magnum really fun , not overpowering , bolt action focuses more on shooting than on pulling the trigger as fast as you can. they are pretty reliable and the .22 magnum is a bigger shell than the .22LR so would make a good small game gun should S ever HTF.

4. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I feel the Marlin 795 is a great rifle and you can't go wrong with it. It is accurate, great price, easy to clean, and if you take care of it it will last many years.

The 10/22 looks nice and it has lots of after market stuff to make the rifle one of a kind. But it is about twice as much as the marlin and some of the after market stuff is pretty costly.

I like a bolt action also but they are a little more money than a semi auto. I have been looking for another rifle for my boys so I also have been doing research. Other options you have are

Savage (don't own one but look nice)
    Remington (very nice but higher price)
    Mossberg (not impressed with bolt action)

If the store still have the sale for marlin at $100 I would get one with out question. You can't go wrong on a new $75 rifle. Rumor is one of the shops here will be putting them on sale on black friday, and if so I will be picking one up.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Savage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. moron88

moron88 New Member

you have a few options. the 795 is a pretty good deal, that would be my first choice. in no particular order, here are a few guns on my wish list.

rossi trifecta 2-BRZ202244YBS - Rossi Youth Trifecta Single Shot Rifle and Shotgun Matched Set .22 Long Rifle .44 Magnum 20 Gauge Black Synthetic Stock Blued Finish
    it offers the flexibility of 3 different rounds so once you have become acquainted with .22, you can move up to 20 gauge and .44mag as you feel comfortable.

henry octagon barrel lever 17113 - Henry Repeating Arms Octagon Model H001T Lever Action Rimfire Rifle .22 Long Rifle 20" Octagon Barrel 16 Rounds American Walnut Stock Blued Finish
    cant go wrong with a lever. my understanding is that they hold their value pretty well even with mild damage (scratched stock, mild surface rust, etc) and they are easy to use with gloves in the winter.

stevens 300 24975 - Stevens Model 300 Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle .22 Long Rifle 20.75" Barrel 11 Rounds Gray Synthetic Stock Blued Barrel & Bolt
    for one reason or another, bolts tend to be the more accurate action.

if you're a lefty, this might be something of interest 2-SV50701 - Savage Model Mark II-GL Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle Left-Hand Model .22 LR 20.75" Barrel 10 Rounds Monte Carlo Hardwood Stock Blued Barrel & Bolt

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you're not set on a magazine fed rifle, I'd check out the Marlin 60.

8. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Are you seeking a semi-auto or bolt? I just ordered a Remington 597 from Dicks. The list was $169.99 and Remington offers a $25 rebate. I also looked at the Marlin 795 and Mossberg 702, both of which I thought were sized for kids. The 597 has great iron sights and the stock fits an adult.

9. Smythe222

Smythe222 New Member

Hey guys thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to grab the Marlin 795 just because 75 bucks seems to good to pass up. Now, on to more questions :)

As far as cleaning goes I found a good youtube video that explains everything nicely, but I do have some possibly silly questions. As far as lube and a cleaning solvent what kind of stuff should I use? Do I just buy a premade cleaning kit or put one together? Thanks again guys, you are great!

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Any choice u make will b a good one, its all about preferences.. And the only silly or stupid question is the one tht u dont ask.. I just use cleaning supplies by OUTERS which u can pick up at any walmart.. They sell different kits for the different calibers.i also use Break Free for light cleaning and lubing

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Buy a bore snake. You will not regret it.

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

If you are a good shadetree-gunsmith, there are quite a few tweaks that are useful in making your Marin 795 to perform better!

If not, the rifle is inexpensive & well built, so you can afford to learn a few things if you wish ;)

Pillar Bedding is a very good place to start...but follow the directions CAREFULLY and make sure to use plenty of release compound!!
    Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

Trigger Jobs work WONDERS for the feel of the trigger!!
    DIP helps to shortcut some of the work with their Silver or Black Adjustable Target Trigger & Guard combos!
    Marlin Rimfire Parts and Accessories

Polishing the bolt & action rails can be very beneficial!!

You could literally beat someone to death with the OEM Marlin plastic stock...but a Boyd's Laminate looks WAY better :D
    Several styles to choose from!!
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-Rifles-s/124.htm

For pawn shop/gun show antiques...
    Replace the buffer & action springs on older used Marlins (10+ years old) with a J&P Spring Kit...
    Clean the Mag tube on Marlin 60's & varients just like a shotgun barrel...
    do that & the above & your old guns will run like New!! Some better than new :D

13. mcskipper

mcskipper New Member

Ruger

Go with the Ruger 10-22.
    Accurate, clip fed, ez to clean and when you have a extra cash there are a ton of after market parts to get for it.

Stay away from a 22 Mag, ammo is too mush cash. Stick with 22 LR.

14. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Another vote for the Ruger 10/22. I'm biased though, as it's the only .22 I've owned, but I've had mine for over 30 years.

Rufus

15. zpatatus

zpatatus New Member

I have five 10/22s but have to recommend the 795. Great bang for the buck. I bought one last spring. Fun and accurate little rifle.

here is a review on one. Actually 2 part review.

NylonRifles.com

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  16. big shrek

Don't forget, you can go NUTS on a 795...

You can slip it into a $30 "Well P90" airsoft stock
    [​IMG]

Or a Ramline 70 stock...
    [​IMG]

Or any of the Boyd's stocks listed below....www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-...=9&cat=124&show=12&page=1&brand=Marlin 60 795

Or into a Muzzelite Bullpup stock...
    [​IMG]

Or one of the OEM Marlin Grey Laminate stocks if you can find one...probably easier to get a Boyd's tho...
    [​IMG]

There's more, but this darn thing only lets you post 4 pics at a time...lol

17. Smythe222

Smythe222 New Member

You guys are so helpful, yet so not at the same time!

I was dead set on the Marlin 795, it's only 75 bucks, buuuut then I got ahold of a 10/22 and that was sweet too. Didn't get to shoot a savage mark II yet, but that could happen this weekend.

I guess I just don't think I'm going to do a tooooon of customizing, but then again who knows what I'll want when I get the gun. For what I'm going to use it for I really just want a good straight shooter out of the box. I don't want to have to put a ton of money in it the second I buy it!

On a side note I saw on the AR forums about building your own AR.... That's definitely going to be my graduation present to myself :) I love building things and knowing everything about them.

18. big shrek

If you start with the Marlin, you won't have to change much. The Stock is the favored change...the OEM Micro-groove barrels ROCK!

If you start with a 1022, you'll have to buy a heavy barrel just to catch up to the cheaper Marlin in accuracy.
    Then you'll want a Tuffer Buffer...
    then some Volquartzen parts...
    next thing ya know, you've spent $1500 customizing your 1022...and my Marlin 795 that I've got $200 in will STILL beat it ;)

Marlin 795 with a few toys added...still under $200 in it.
    [​IMG]

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I guess im pretty biased when it comes to the ruger 10/22 because the only .22 rifle that ive ever owned. I got it when i was 11 and im 33 now. That little rifle has thousands of varmints under its belt, and has always been accurate and faithful. I cant tell you when the last time i cleaned it was, A LONG TIME!. i dont shoot it as much as i used to but it shoots when i want it to and never jams up. Its a damn reliable little rifle

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I plan on buying one of these for my ruger in the NEAR future..... Whats not to like

image-640941056.jpg