Choosing another rimfire

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Garadex, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Marlin M60

8.3%
  2. Marlin XT-22 (tube fed)

16.7%
  3. Marlin M60 Stainless w/ laminate stock

25.0%
  4. CZ 452/455

50.0%
  1. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well I got a bunch of money for my birthday and high school graduation and after I put a lot of it into savings I still have about $400 so I decided that I should get a new rifle. I'm looking at four different rifles. In order of cheapest to most expensive: Marlin M60, Marlin XT-22 (tube fed), Marlin M60 Stainless W/ Laminate stock, or a CZ 452/455. I will look into other suggestions. So which would you choose.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Cant say anything about the first three, but I sure do love my new CZ 455 22lr. Time to sell off my 10/22 and my browning buckmark. :)

3. longunner

longunner New Member

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Would not trade my Marlin 60, but if you have a .22lr get a .17hmr or .22wmr.
    If it must be a .22lr get what you don't have. If you have a semi, get a bolt and vice versa.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

or get a CZ 455 in 22lr, and then 130 dollars later, get another CZ barrel for it in 17hmr or 22wmr. :D

My CZ

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Well, you're looking at bolts vs semi. Any reason why you would want one over the other, and what do you have now?

I also would throw the Marlin 795 in there, and pick up Tech-SIGHTs for it. Only down side to the 795 right now if finding magazines.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a Model 60 and a Marlin XT-22MR. The model 60 is great if you don't have a 22 LR. The XT-22MR has seen a lot of action since I got it. I can find 22 wmr ammo at a fair price even now with the shortage. It's nice to be able to shoot something 100 yards away without holding over the target. I have owned the Model 60 for 35 years, it has never needed repair. The rifling is still sharp after 100s of cleanings with cheap aluminum cleaning rods. I cannot estimate the number of rounds model 60 has fired.

8. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

If your looking for bolt 22lr I'd go cz all day long. Itll be one to pass on to your grandkids.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Well I stopped by my favorite LGS to "just look". Well that was a bad idea. I am the new owner of a Marlin M60. Just the base model. Got it for $250 out the door. Now I gotta wait 10 days to pick it up, dang Kalifornia.

Also here are the obligatory pics.

Attached Files:

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I have a bolt .22 WMR so now I have a semi .22 LR.

11. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

If you don't like the stock sights, be sure to pick up http://www.tech-sights.com/ (scroll down the left side for Marlin). Easy install. ONLY complaint is the elevation adjustment is a pain unless you have a golf tee or a small standard screw driver.

12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I was looking at those and the Skinner sights. I think the Skinner's look better but the Tech sights are cheaper and come with a front sight, so I may get them.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Not a bad choice. Marlin 60 is a pretty good shooter usually. I'm rebuilding an old style at the moment. I still like the 10-22 more but there is no denying the Marlins can shoot.

14. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

I'm pretty much set on the XT 22 TR which is the tube fed version I'll probably pick that up next Friday I did like how the Marlins 60 felt very well-balanced gun.

When I was buying my first 22 it was really hard to pick over the marlin model 60 and Ruger 1022 The Ruger wins because of customization options

I expect to see pictures of your targets when you get to the range

15. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Of course there will be pictures, I may get banned if I forgot 'em. :rolleyes:

16. longunner

longunner New Member

Yes!!! Excellent choice!! You will LOVE this gun I guarantee it. Really like the stock on it too, great buy. I try to be careful when going to a store with something even close to being on my buy list...what can I say I'm impulsive!!

17. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

I was gonna say cz but by the time mine was ready to go to the range with the scope, rings, trigger kit and two extra 10rds mags I was just over $900. I got the varmint so yes the scope was a must maybe not the Nikon buckmaster but I only like to buy things once. ;).

Good choice anyway!! Get some pics up and enjoy

18. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Ya it looks better than a lot of stocks on other budget .22's I like it a lot.
    I too am impulsive, I called my brother and forced myself to take a few minutes to think about it. I have no buyers remorse yet so I think it was a good choice.

Ya I only had $400 and as much as I wanted the CZ I think for me the Marlin was a better choice because now I have more money for upgrades or other stuff.

19. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Do you know how fast their shipping is?

20. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Looks like I ordered it on May 2nd and received it on May 6th. $6 for S/H. Paid with PayPal.