choosing a lever action .22lr rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by crustydownunder, May 3, 2011.

1. crustydownunder

crustydownunder New Member

Hi guys I am starting to look for a .22lr rifle as you may or may not know Im new to shooting went to the gun shop to look into a 22LR(for hunting rabbits mostly) sort of had my heart set on a lever action but the guy at the gun shop looked puzzled and asked me why:confused: when i could go for a cz brno, But their a bolt action i told him and he went on to tell me how great the rifle is and how i could hand it down to my kid and im sure they are a good rifle.Feeling we were drifting away from what i came in there for i asked about the lever action rifles he looked at me in disbelief and went on to talk about how the action doesn't matter:( and that i cant go wrong with the brno.when he did talk about the lever action rifles it was like they were second class rifles.
    I told him i would think about it.
    Am i being stupid? :eek:
    Can anyone recommend a lever action of good quality
    Does the action make a difference?
    thanks guys for any input
    Crusty

2. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

that is very unacceptable! i would not go back there to buy anything because people like that are only out for there own good... anyways. the action does matter. its comfort. you might be comfortable with a lever and not with a bolt action. if your into levers then your best bet would be a henry .22. they have lots of different styles of lever actions available. go to henryrepeatingarms.com and check out there selection of lever actions or what ever suits you.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The best lever action rimfire made is the Marlin 39,hands down!

Winchester made a great one,Browning/Henry's are pretty good also,but if you want the best,buy a Marlin 39.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nothing wrong with a lever action if that's what you like. It's the rifle that won the West!

If I were you, I wouldn't go back to that place. You knew what you wanted and no one should try to talk you out of it.

5. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

As far as getting a projectile down range the type of action really doesn't matter, they all shoot just fine be it lever, bolt, break-open, semi-auto etc. But if you want a lever action the salesman should have showed you one, or ten. Marlin, Browning and Henry make great lever action rifles you'll just have to choose a price point then see what they have to offer.

If I were to buy a lever action 22 it would be the Marlin 39 because I don't like the straight stocks on the Browning or Henry, I prefer the pistol grip style stock on the Marlin.

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I went with a Henry Frontier H001T a few weeks ago when I bought one. The Marlin 39 new was out of my price range and I am not currently trusting Remington to make a good rimfire rifle right now. Don't know why and have no solid proof of it but just a feeling. The couple used 39s I found were pretty used and pricey.

I got a brand new Henry cheaper than a well worn 39. Haven't shot it yet but it looks good and feels good. I'll have to get it out to shoot soon and then I'll have a better feel for it.

7. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I haven't bought it yet, but my next 22 will be a Henry. Very good quality, very smooth action and quality that will last.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Henry rifles are made in the USA. That is a selling point for me for most things anymore; although, I'll bet that doesn't matter much in your case.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I grew up with lever actions, and love them. If you want a lever action, get one. The Brno rifles are amazing, and heirloom quality, but if you want a lever get a lever.

My personal favorite (all around) .22 is the Marlin 39. Buy one, and you will never regret it.

10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I had a Marlin 39 and wish I still had it but I wouldn't give up my Henry Golden Boy for it. The Henry has an action out of the box that's slicker than snot on a porcelain doorknob. Accuracy is right up there with the Marlin.

11. hbomb

hbomb New Member

if that guy keeps tryin to swing you towards that bolt gun he's probably got a hidden agenda. if you want a lever action get a lever action!! my first choice would be the marlin 39, but make sure you look it over really well, marlin has been having some QC troubles lately. henry would be my second choice followed by browning. i did have the extractor break on a henry once, dont know if anyone else has had this problem before. never had any issues with any of the marlins ive had.

12. crustydownunder

thanks guys being new to shooting i felt funny about arguing with him, As i don't know a lot about rifles and went there for help on choosing one i spose i got what i asked for it just wasn't what i wanted to hear:eek: might try different gun shop after reading a bit more on the different rifles you guys have suggested thanks again crusty

13. crustydownunder

looked at different gun shops Henry firearms only importer is in another state new south wales who doesn't have a web site:( marlin however is at my local gun dealer and a golden 39a retails at $1085.00 aus bout $1100.00 U.S ouch talk about mark up Hmm might have to save a few more penny's first

14. cuate

cuate New Member

I have a Marlin 39 and it's accurate and I really like it ....A neighbor swapped for a used Henry and couldn't hit the side of a barn with it, I checked it and believe the barrel was bored wrong. Sent it to Henry and they installed a new barrel,and sent it back..FREE,,,And it is accurate...So

Marlin or Henry, don't think you could go wrong either way.

15. AusLach

AusLach New Member

While old mate is certainly correct in saying that you can't go wrong with a CZ, if he's desperately trying to sell you one when it's obviously not what you want then he's got some sort of hidden agenda. He also has no idea what he is talking about; Henry does so have a distributor's website *HERE*. Marlin's distributor is a South Australian based company called Raytrade which doesn't have a website, however the shop should have a catalogue of all Raytrade's gear.

Another site to have a browse on would be NIOA's; *HERE*. Any good gun shop will be able to order anything you like off either Highland's or NIOA's sites, so don't let him tell you any different. In Melbourne I'd be looking at *Miall's*, *Clayton's*, or *Melbourne Firearms*.

Good luck!

16. crustydownunder

thanks auslach was dealing with mialls gun shop going up to clayton on the weekend to have a look, why is there such a hude mark up here in oz they must be making a **** load or the government is

17. AusLach

AusLach New Member

It's the gubermint.. They charge import taxes and firearms taxes on the shope to bring them here from the states, then the shops have got to charge extra to cover the cost of thier insurance and licenses etc. It's a total scam :mad:

One other thought, the Browning T-Bolt is in a way, very similar to the lever action. I've seen them advertised for just on $1200 and will IMO make a much better bunny-gun than either the Marlin or Henry. Might be worth having a look at.

18. steve666

steve666 New Member

1st Choice is the Browning BL-22:
    [​IMG]

2nd Choice is the Henry:
    [​IMG]

3rd Choice is the Marlin 39:
    [​IMG]

19. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Heck, I'd got Marlin 39A 1st choice, Browning Second, and Henry Third.

Although, I'd try to get an slightly older, used 39A in good condition...I hate crossbolt safeties.

Only safety I need is the one in my head.

20. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Hey Crusty, this is a Sydney shop but I believe he'll ship to anywhere in the country :cool:

RPG Firearms