Choosing a .22 handgun...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by RangeGal, Jul 25, 2012.

1. RangeGal

RangeGal New Member

Choosing a .22 handgun... - now that I've chosen the SR22, what about ammo? (post 23)

I currently own a 9mm and want to get a .22 handgun. I'm having trouble choosing one. Any suggestions?

I think my top criteria are smallish in size and reliable. My purpose is primarily "fun" shooting but also a secondary gun for defense should I need it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. genesis

genesis New Member

We got my girlfriend a Ruger LCR 38 Special. Then we got her a Ruger LCR 22. I've shot them both extensively. The 22 is something else. It weighs about as much as a potato chip, is super accurate, and reliable as dirt. And talk about cheap to shoot and practice with! One other idea. Is there a 22 conversion kit for your 9? But I think your preference is for a second gun. Well there are a ton of 22 revolvers which would fit your requirements. I've only shared my personal experience with one which would fit your needs. The LCR 22 would be an excellent CC backup as well. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences and opinions.

Don <><

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

• gsg2.JPG
      gsg2.JPG
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I have the Sig version of this gun, couldn't agree more. You get the feel of a full size 1911 and the tame recoil and low cost of .22lr ammo.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've shot a couple S&W M&22 and came away extremely impressed. The Ruger SR22 is another centerfire-styled 22lr that's getting pretty good reviews.

The target-style pistols from Ruger (22/45 and MKIII) and Browning (Buckmark) are going to be your best bet if you're after pin-point paper-punching.

All of the above models can be found for $300-450.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

+1. With some purdy wood grips, mine would look just like Cane's. Lots of affordable trigger therapy with a GSG 22. Getcha one!

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I was thinking exactly this when I read the first post. I have a Mark III and love it. Will shoot forever if you treat it right.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if you want good accuraccy for target shooting. you will need to look at ruger mk2 and mk3 series. and also browning buckmark's. if you really want something a little smaller as you stated your going to lose longer distance accuraccy. but gain concealability. in that case i highly recomend the ruger SR22. inside of 15 yards you can hit keep it in the bullseyes outer ring. out to 25 its a lot more spread out but mostly still on an 8 inch target. as far as reliability, ive fed it CCI mini mags, Federal , remington, winchester bulk packs. fiocchi and blazer. all have fired good except blazer. blazer got it super dirty and then after being dirty the blazer would not feed the next round. all other brands did great.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Considering that a 22 is primarily a plinking and target pistol, I would not recommend the LCR 22. The sights and sight radius are awful, and that will lead to very difficult shooting from a gun that should above all be fun. Look for a pistol with a longer sight radius.

Some great suggestions have been made. Personally, I have a Smith & Wesson Model 17 revolver. It is very accurate, dirt simple, and eats any ammo without a hiccup. 22's are notoriously finicky about which ammo they like. The current version is the 617. Ruger also has the SP101 in 22 as well. It's a relatively new model and I don't know how difficult it is to find right now.

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Beretta neos. Get the short barrel version and you have a smallish accurate fun gun. Cost 250-300 bucks depending on where you shop.

11. billt

billt New Member

This^^^^^^

The Ruger Mark II and Mark III's are some of the best .22 pistols avaliable for the money. They will run forever, and are very accurate and dependable. As you can see from these 3, they come in most any configuration or barrel length you could possibly want, in either blue or Stainless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I agree ^^^

I'm not sure why it needs to be smallish. You're not planning on CC'ing it, right? Then just go ahead and get one the pistols at the top of the heap? Ruger 22/45, Ruger MarkIII, Walther P22, etc.

I chose a Browning Buckmark and have been extremely happy!!!

13. RangeGal

RangeGal New Member

I may be narrowing it down. Which would you choose:

Walther P22
    Ruger SR22
    Sig Sauer Mosquito

What about Taurus? Are they any good?

14. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

I am very happy with my Ruger Mark III 22/45, bought it for $300, have burned about 1000 rounds in the last month. It was a PITA to take a part the first time or two but am use to it and it's loosening up now that I have done it four times or so.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Again I say ruger. I've seen quite a few pics of blown up walthers as it's not as well made. The sig is very very ammo picky. my friend can only shoot CCI mini mags in his. Sr22 you wont have buyers regret. IMHO

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

If u look in the videos section there are s couple videos of my wife shooting her ruger sr22

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm a huge fan of the Ruger MKII and MKIII pistols. IK also really like the Browning Buckmark pistols. I also have a Chiappa 1911-22 that I've been having a lot of fun with. Being a 1911 guy to begin wioth being able to shoot something so close to the feel of a real 1911 makes my trigger finger really happy. Plus it fits in all my 1991 holders :D

If I was buying a 22 pistol today I'd probabally go for the Ruger MKII or III or Browning though. The Buckmark I believe has the better trigger out of the box but the Ruger trigger calms down pretty quick on it's own. Either is very accurate and there are tons of aftermarket doodads to make it uniquely yours. I changed the bbl on my 22/45 to a Tactical Solutions bbl. It's one of my favorite target toys now
    [​IMG]

18. RangeGal

RangeGal New Member

Bought the SR22. Fired it today. I like it a lot! Thanks for the advice!

19. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Cool. Glad you like it as much as we do. The more we shoot it the more I love it

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ruger Single Six or Single Ten for plinking and target shooting. Not much good for SD though being single action. The Ruger 22/45 is a good target gun but I wouldn't carry mine. Tough to unholster quickly.