Chokes effect recoil???

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by gunkid9mm, Dec 5, 2011.

1. gunkid9mm

gunkid9mm New Member

I was shooting my mossberg500 at the range about a mounth ago and noticed that when i put a full choke on my 28" barrel, i felt i bit more recoil from shooting the same ammo. This dosnt really make much sense to me.

Am I crazy or do chokes actualy effect the amount of felt recoil, thought id ask you guys who have been shooting for a while. Im new to shotguns in general.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've heard that they do, but I've never really noticed it myself.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You are restricting the barrel at the muzzle so you are going to get a pressure increase which means a recoil increase. You can really feel it with a slug going through a choke over a cylinder bore.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I assume you gentlemen are not from the school of thought that any barrel length past 18" is wasted because the maximum velocity has already been reached. Which of course means that the pressure has dropped to nothing. The maximum pressure for all loads is the same within 2-3/4" and 3" chambers, and the 3-1/2" is higher.
    While velocity will continue to increase with most powders I am aware of out to at least 30" in a 12 gauge, the pressure does rapidly decrease down the length of the barrel. If you can detect a difference I would be surprised. You may feel more recoil with a slug because because of the higher velocity with the lighter projectile.

5. gunkid9mm

gunkid9mm New Member

I know a longer barrle gives you more sight radius, it also decreses noise, by about 8 db. Its not going to have a great impact on balistics, but dose it give you ANY increased distance/ tighter pattern to use a longer barrle? The main reason I use a 28" barrle is because it has threads for a choke to screw into that my 18" barrle dosnt have. I didnt notice a difference in shot pattern or recoil from the two barrles when the 28" barrle had no choke screwed in.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Theoretically the full choke could give more felt recoil than a cylinder bore. As stated, the choking can increase the pressure a bit which would lead to more felt recoil.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Patterns open faster from a shorter barrel. FACT

8. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Yep. The charge from and 18" barrel will start to open 10" sooner than one from a 28" barrel with the same choke.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That is ok. I'll stick w/ my 24, 28, and 30" barrels. Just call me slow. The longer sight radius helps w/ accuracy in the field, for me at least. A longer shotgun is also better balanced. To each his own. I bet you would get some strange looks shootin trap w/ an 18" barreled shotgun.

10. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

looks? no thay get laughed at ! the right tool for the job. 18 in barrel has its use but not shooting any clay game.imoho load makes a difference in recoil not choke

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

There sure are a lot of shotgun myths still floating around. Some it even sounds like it would be true. The late Bob Brister did a lot of shotgun research and experimentation and wrote a book on his discoveries titled Shotgunning, the art and Science. In it, he he proves these myths for what they are: myths. Barrel length does not have any influence on pattern or velocity; only the choke can affect the pattern and only the load in the shell can affect velocity. The choke will not have any influence on recoil. We are only talking a few thousandths of an inch here; not enough to make a difference in pressure, but enough to affect the pattern spread or tightness.

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Just what edition of Bob's book do you have that says barrel length has no effect on velocity? I have also chronographed a bunch of loads myself, and it does make a difference. Just not a big difference. I did not test anything as short as 18" because I don't own anything close.

13. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Don't want to be splitting hairs here. I should have left "velocity" out of that sentence. You are correct, barrel length of a shotgun has some effect on velocity, just not a lot. But still, barrel elnght has no effect on patterns as only the choke can do that.
    cottontop

14. natman

natman Member

OK, offer some proof.

15. gunkid9mm

gunkid9mm New Member

If you compare two barrles, one is ten inches longer than the shorter one, the pattern of the one that is ten inches longer will start to open up ten inches after the shorter one, but from the muzzle they open at the same rate...? So saying that a shorter barrle produces patterns that open faster is like saying that my car will drive faster if the front of my car is longer because it will arive at the destination faster than if it was of a shorter lenght... Dose that make sense???
    I am asuming we are talking about barrles of leagle shotgun leangth, ofcourse ballistics change when using a really short barrle, like a taurus judge shooting .410 shotshells.
    This is how i interpeted it, please correct me if im wrong, i dont claim to be an expert at any of this, im just a little confused and am trying to get this whole "barrle lenght effect on pattern" thing figured out. Thanx to all who shared opinions on my origional question.

16. ROENIGK

ROENIGK New Member

Sounds rite. There's a smaller space for the same amount of lead/steel to squeeze out of so there would be more pressure as a result.

17. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

we are splitting hairs barrel length will affect velocity .wich will also affect pressure witch affects felt recoil and pattern spread also. so the anser is to pattern your gun with the load you plan to shoot . you may be surprised

18. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith New Member

Details

Absolute fact that a longer barrel, with equivalent choke, will pattern tighter than a shorter barrel, with all else being equal.
    This is due to the pressure drop in the barrel as length increases causing less shot column disruption (once it clears the bore) by the "jet effect" of the gas after the wad clears the crown. That releases the gas to freely accelerate and "impact" the rear of the wad/shot stack. This effect will be more pronounced when none or little choke is present, since the shot has minimal or no choke effect that de-couples the pellet stack somewhat, and moreso in a tight choke.

The choke has a recoil effect by having the fuller choke act as a more efficient rocket nozzle to increase the efficiency of the jet effect by the gas venting out the muzzle.
    That is why porting will have some small effect on recoil and sometimes cause increased pattern density - by reducing the gas jet rocketing out the muzzle.

kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com