Choke tube question

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by lbwar15, May 1, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I have a Remington mod choke tube in my 870. I was wondering if it would be ok to use slugs in it. Pacifically the pdx1 round.

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

you should be fine unless the slug is rifled then you need a specific choke the tighter the choke the worse off it will be.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

What size should I use. The slid is riffled.

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

You can shoot any slug you want to out of a modified choke a rifled slug will shoot the best if you wanna shoot a sabot slug you need a rifled barrel or choke tube

5. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

cylinder or improved cylinder or you could get a rifled choke tube

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

A modified will work fine also....I use a modified myself that what I get the best group with

7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

yes you are right,i prefere a rifled choke tube with rifled slugs just personal prefrence in this case.:)

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

How does using a rifled choke tube help you shoot better when shooting rifled slugs.....have u tried sabot slugs

9. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i have not tryed them, i actually very raely shoot slugs anymore the one place i used to use them is now virtually impossible to hunt they closed the hours to sundown to sunup so all hunting has to be done during the day so i am just talking from my past experince.also i dont beleive it to make it better i prefere personal prefrence nothing more.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

Ok I gotcha if u get back into it try some hornady sst slugs or lightfields they both are good shooting slugs just expensive.....I live in Ohio so shotgun or muzzleloader is all that is legal to deer hunt with here so I have tried about every slug/choke combo lol

11. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

well i started out with slugs because the wildlife area thats all you could use and it was only a 20 minuter drive from my house but they changed all the rules there so i dont go there anymore i just take a hour drive and go up the hill where i can use one of my rifles.the area im talking about is the oroville wildlife area if you watch the show wild justice on the natgeo channel there always writting tickets for people being there after dark.

12. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

I was wondering the same thing, I'm still patterning my shotgun with buckshots through a modified choke and the next step is shooting some slugs through it.

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

Like I said just shooting regular rifled slugs I have the best luck with a modified but u just have to do some testing

14. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Ok thanks. I was just making sure it was not to tight.