Choices

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AznZOhAn, Aug 26, 2011.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Recently had the money build a descent AR, but I saw a Sig that I just had to get. This is my question and I am looking for sound advice.

I want to build a 556 SBR suppressed and 6.8 SPC with a 20" barrel. First question, which should I build first?

Next question, which receiver set should I get? My original plan was a billet from mega or spike, but I have 6 month daughter and gotta a bit smaller budget now. I'm thinking a good forged 7075 set.

I also want to know what barrel manufacturers are good quality and not price rapist

I have a rockriver entry tactical CAR A4 and S&W M&P 15X, my S&W is going to get a 20" fluted heavy and RRA has a Daniel defense rail and both are good as is.

This pistol is why I scrapped my previous build plans. I need good advice cause rifles are new to me.

Attached Files:

2. skyhawk

skyhawk New Member

I would recommend building the 556 first. Not only will it be cheaper to build with the same quality of components, but also less expensive to shoot.

The 6.8 build can be a little tricky. Here is an example. I wanted a Noveske 6.8SPC barrel with an adj gas block. This is only possible by buying the barrel with the gas block. Then I would have to replace it with a 1 inch adj gas block. Big deal? No, just something to think about. 556 barrel options are far greater.

Too bad I don't have any money... :(

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

Shop around. I bought a STAG lower just to get it registered as an SBR. An ACE stock and a lower parts set followed shortly afterward. I then found a Bushmaster 10.5" SBR upper at a local guns store that the guy let me have for $399 because it was not moving (not a lot of folks want to go through the hassle of registering with the ATF, I don't think it's a big deal. So my total cost for the basic SBR was just under $700 (+$200 for the tax stamp).

My brother sent me a Surefire Quad Rail forend a GG&G riser and BUIS and an EoTech 552 out of his spares inventory and here she is...

[​IMG]

The guns is 100% reliable and a very accurate shooter. I've run it ragged for a couple of years through 100's of rounds a range day in practice and comps and it has not let me down. Easy to carry, easy to point and any silhouette target out to about 150 yards is a slam dunk COM hit.

It's a fun toy with the 7.5" upper but I just can't take it seriusly except for giggles at the range.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Id go 5.56 first and when you do the 6.8 think about a shorter barrel. From my research a 20" barrel is a waste as the 6.8 works best out of a 16ish" barrel.

White Oaks Armament makes great barrels as does Daniel Defense and BCM. Also check out Palmetto State Armory. They have good prices and thier reviews are excellent.

I prefer forged receivers.

5. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

What about the trust paperwork, how do I go about doing that. Somebody told me to do it myself for free but they didn't where to get it or how to do it. I don't mind the ATF stuff, I'm clean and plan on staying that way. This will be my first class 3 anything.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Quicken makes a trust program for doing it yourself.

7. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Thank you, is it hard or self explanatory easy.

8. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

You're right my friend, the 6.8 about 90% of it powder in 16" and picks up about 75-100 fps in a 18". The 20" picks up just a bit more maybe 25-50, but I was looking it more trajectory and accuracy. I might just do an 18" heavy with flutes to save weight, but after the SBR

9. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Nice guns, and I think I'll go with that. I'm think a mega or spike forged receiver set.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i was researching nfa stuff i came across a lot of postings by people having serious issues with atf rejections using quicken trust maker for nfa. best way is to get a real lawyer familiar with nfa issues draw it up for you.

thats what i did. my lawyer created trust lammed through the nfa examiner in 60 days which is really fast. he did a very good job. my trust covers both me and my wife and also inheritance issues.

12. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

How much was it?

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just a thought, or more of a question, won't he need 2 lowers. Once an SBR always an SBR?

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

From my understanding it doesnt matter what length barrel you put on an SBR'd lower. Just because you SBR a lower doesnt mean it can only be mated to a SB upper.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I guess my question is really can you switch back and forth between a NFA and non-NFA upper?

16. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Yes, but you can only put SBR upper on a SBR lower and marked pistol lowers. If you put a SBR upper on a regular lower you are facing federal time and heavy fines. Pre 1986 lower is a class of animal, then you can full auto or 3 shot burst. I want to build a SBR, no auto for me. I'm Thinking forged 7075 mega or spike receiver set with a 10" to start and build up from their.