Choices, Choices!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Ruger

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Smith & Wesson

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Glock

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Sig

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  5. H&K

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Beretta

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Taurus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hi-Power

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Springfield

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. Other

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am considering getting another .40 S&W handgun but I am not sure where to go so naturally I will ask all of you!

Here's the deal. I have three Glocks, all .40 cal. They are a G22, G22C and a G27. I have holsers for all of them and several accessories for the G22s (extra mags, after-market barrels, tritium sights, Laser-grip, etc, etc.,) and I just don't really care for them. The G27 is too damn small for my big hands and the G22s just don't appeal to me so much. I will probably retain one of them just because.... well, just because!!!

What should I narrow down the replacement to? I am a big Ruger fan, so that is on my list. I also have an S&W 4013- that is gonna go too (don't like it either) but maybe an M&P? Or Sig? Or what else do y'all think? I am posting a poll on this so please vote there and give your reasons why in your post.

I probably won't be pulling the trigger on this for several months, so there is plenty of time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I vote M&P...obviously. :)

Expand your collection.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

man, oh man Vikingdad! there's lots of good choices in the 40 caliber markets! i am pretty sure you're going to get at least a hundred suggestions for pistols.

check out the SA XD and the XDm. i have the XDm40 and really like it. nice pistol and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

the S & W MP line of pistols. another one i was giving heavy consideration to when i bought my XDm40.

the CZ pistols.

the Beretta pistols. several different ones to choose from. my favorite was the model 96. loved that one.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The poll is now up- go ahead and log your vote.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I did fondle a Ruger LC40C today. I do like the Rugers. I have a .380 Beretta and a couple of .25 Berettas, a buddy of mine has a 92F, but I have not fired any of them in .40 cal. I don't really care for the Berettas I have fired.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

What do you plan to do with the gun?

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I really don't like the 4013 S&W and apparently nobody else did either because they have been discontinued. Really an awful gun IMO.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I have been very happy with my Springfield XD and my cz. Time to find a range that rents.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Once I get it narrowed down to three or four I will arrange to shoot those choices (rental or borrow from friends).

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well I'm basically a S&W man through and through.

I own two 9mm M&Ps, one a compact and one a full size.

Absolutely love shooting them. They are hands down my favorite semi-autos I have ever fired (which includes: Glocks, Rugers, Taurus, Bersa, Berettas... could be more that I'm forgetting right now). They point naturally in my hand, have easily the best ergos, the trigger isn't terrible, especially in newer ones (my biggest problem with the trigger is the reset, but that gets less bad after 1k rounds or so). They are aesthetically much more appealing than a Block. They feel less bulky in my hands than a Ruger (SR series) or a Beretta 92 (even the Storm felt a little clunky).

S&W has a great warranty and they put out quality products to boot.

BUT. You can't really go wrong with any of the choices in your poll. Every single company listed produces quality firearms.

My only other recommendation is to make the most of the 10 round limit. For example, it might just upset you to get a full sized M&P and miss out on the possible five additional rounds, whereas the compact size has exactly 10 round capacity. So you wouldn't be missing anything by being in Kalifornia, in that regard.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Don't like the G22 and G27? Well Goldilocks says the G23 is "just right"!

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

LOL! I hear ya man, but I have fired the G23 too. I won't be buying another Glock.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The 10 round capacity is an issue here in CA, but in all honesty I will not let that be a factor. I may move out of state or the CA laws might.....

Aw Hell, who am I kidding? Well, I seriously might move.

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Try the M&P out with all of the grips. It's probably my favorite polymer pistol on the market right now.

Fully supported chamber
    You can shoot lead cast bullets
    Swappable palm swells
    Stainless steel chassis
    Steel sights
    Large beaver tail
    Ambidextrous controls

It brings a lot to the table. What's not to love?

15. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I voted for the Beretta(96) in the poll but if you are going the polymer route, I am going to have to agree and that it's hard to beat the M&P.

16. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Now, if only S&W would make an M&P in 10mm!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I vote you buy a SIG, just because! :D

18. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

DFlynt took my answer.

19. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have several 40's. They are all fine handguns and I expect one from any company on your list would serve you well. I also believe in pride of ownership and I think everyone should own at least one Sig. I don't have one in 40 S&W (I need to fix that) but I do have a Sig 220 in 45 ACP and that pistol is just a joy to hold and look at and shoot and clean. Just something special about it. I guess one of each is out of the question huh?

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well, Sig is in th elead right now so ya never know. Earlier this year I had an opportunity at a 220 but passed on it. Guy wanted to trade for my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull. I would have been getting the better part of the deal but I am philisophically opposed to 'getting rid of" any of my guns. Believe me, even considering getting rid of the Glocks still has me in a turmoil (and it hasn't happened yet!).

Two of them I inherited(the G22s) and I bought the G27 several years ago but it just isn't very ergonomic for me. I am conflicted nonetheless.

Long term no, but I am talking short term. Long term goal is to own them all!!! :D