Choice of best .22/.22 mag pistols

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by satajet, Sep 18, 2012.

1. satajet

satajet New Member

Im loking at buying a plinker/target quality shooter.i enjoy time at the range andto do this i need a great pistol that shoots .22 or .22mags. Any thoughts?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ruger single six, or the newer single ten. beautiful, and accurate guns.

be sure to stop by the introduction page and say hello. welcome aboard

3. satajet

satajet New Member

9014.jpg

Your thoughts on autoloaders.

4. usmarine3533

usmarine3533 New Member

i love my single six in .22/.22 mag

ForumRunner_20120725_064512.jpg

5. satajet

satajet New Member

I used to shoot an HnR with two cylinders. It was a great gun,but i got sooo many complaints about how loud it was at the range...not that i cared. I want something my wife can shoot... Tell me about trigger pull and weight.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

wow. i dont know the exact weight but my single six has one of the best triggers in my safe!. its very crisp and light.

i also have a HnR but it needs some repairs at the moment.. the single six blows the HnR out of the water

7. satajet

satajet New Member

Is it one a novis/beginner would find friendly? My wife is a liteweight shooter and to hold a somewhat heavy pistol may be a deal breaker. I plan on taking her to the OKC gunshow and see what trips her trigger. I know with time she will upgrade but i want her first experience to set a good tone. Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards an autoloader like a Browning buckmark.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

okay, well i dont know many of those that accept both .22lr and .22 mag. but ruger mk2 or 3, and buckmarks are nice. have her check out a ruger sr22 if you want something that weighs a little less. my single 6 is a little heavy. but oh so nice. my wife has the sr22 and she likes it, as do i.

9. satajet

satajet New Member

Believe it or not i had some range time with the sr22 just this past Saturday. I shot a brick of remingtons LR through it...it was a nice experience i must say. Out of 500 rounds i had maybe 5misfeeds. Which i atribute to the cosmoline coating (used to inhibit brass corrosion). You are right but the site plain is short and may be a problem for novis shooters. Your thoughts on this? Satajet.

10. cuate

cuate New Member

We have a Ruger Single action .22, A Ruger MKII .22 auto, and a Chiappa
    22/45 .22 cal. pistols. My favorite of the three is the MKII which is super accurate and has a nice trigger pull from the factory. A few people seem to have a problem putting it back together after field stripping but it is a very simple process. The Ruger .22 is a dandy with both a .22lr cylinder and a .22mag cylinder and also accurate. The Chiappa 22/45 is accurate but has a horrible, hard trigger pull, I modified mine for better pull but it is not the quality of Rugers.

11. satajet

satajet New Member

What is the msrp on the Rugers?

12. 25-5

25-5 New Member

The Single Six is a fun woods pistol too. Rabbit and squirrel for dinner.

13. satajet

satajet New Member

Sounds tasty. Time for grillin'. THANKS.

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Being a cheapskate, I like the H&R's (Harrington & Richardson (actually part of Marlin/FG nowadays))
    you can find used almost everywhere for around $100-150...Used.

Almost forgot about Heritage Arms...they usually run a Thanksgiving/Black Friday special for their
    single-action .22lr/.22WMR pistol at the major sporting goods stores for $99!!

Its a good pistol, but unlike others they have a FactoBake finish (painted & baked instead of blued),
    so you get the cleanup with Krylon Flat Black effect of some other inexpensive firearms...
    They go bang, are as precise as the Ruger Single Six, and are a Florida-based company...
    who are now owned by Taurus, INC of Brazil...so at least if you have an issue, the Warranty is quickly serviced in Florida...

Few more months and the Taurus pistols will also be serviced in Florida as they're expanding Heritage to do it...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  15. satajet

satajet New Member

Very helpful .thanks for your input and pic. Thanks guys... Satajet.

16. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

[​IMG]
    I've been shooting this Colt Diamondack .22 for over 40 years. It's called a baby Python for a reason. It's accurate and a pleasure to shoot, as well as pretty. Unfortunately it's 1500+ price tag is an awful lot to pay for something that originally cost 125 bucks. Anyway, if you have the money to spend they're available .

17. satajet

satajet New Member

Thanks for all your responses. Some things to consider. Any last minute thoughts ...chime in. Satajet.