CHL ammo?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Staidan, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Staidan

Staidan New Member

I'll be taking chl class and test this week. I typically use 9mm 115 grain ammo. Should I use a higher grain to test?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Use whatever ammo you have on hand, in my opinion.

Practice with your chosen self defense ammo as often as you feel you need to, in order to know your gun functions well with it and so you know what to expect when actually shooting it.

For the test purposes? The ammo you use doesn't really matter. I say use your 115 ball and have fun.

Congratulations on taking your step towards obtaining a CCL, by the way. Good luck.

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

How did you do on the Test? You can also get 124Gr. FMJ round or flat,..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You are probably thinking match bullets. No, it will make no difference. You are going to qualify, not compete.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

What ever you normally shoot is fine. Not like your going to shoot against high skilled bullseye shooters.

6. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Nope. Any good FMJ range ammo will work. If it cycles reliably through your gun at the range, it'll be fine for your class.

7. Staidan

Staidan New Member

Thanks. Used my normal rounds. Qualified with flying colors. ;)

Sent from my ridiculously over-priced iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

in texas, you could probably qualify with an air soft gun fired from the hip. ;)

dunno know about the rigors of shooting test in your state.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i used a desert eagle in 50AE when i got my texas ccw. was one of the first. it ripped the target to shreds. they let me reshoot with the target at 10yards. still had to wait a bit tween shots for the target to flutter back down. shot a perfect score.

10. Gabill

Gabill New Member

in Florida if your honorable discharged from the military you dont have to go through class. i hear some of the range qualifying is very interesting. i was thinking of going through a class just to see what it was like.

11. Staidan

Staidan New Member

In Texas the shooting test includes targets at 3, 7, and 15 yds. I typically warm up at 7 yds, practice with 10, 15, and an occasional 20 yd targets. Easy test. BUT... I'm amazed at how many people at the range can't hit anything consistent at 5 and 7 yds. Holes everywhere. Strange.

Sent from my ridiculously over-priced iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

In Ohio, there isn't a set standard, but left up to the instructor's discretion. Most courses here have you qualify at 7 yards, and you need at least half of your shots to hit a paper plate at that range.....VERY few people don't meet this standard on the first try. The instructor usually conducts several other shooting drills after that.

13. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i use the cheapest target ammo or whatever is available,the reason for this is to keep the over all cost of the course down.
    we have to qualify every two years when we renew and depending on the instructor and if you want three guns on my permit that would be 150 rounds,wasted in my eyes.

14. jfinch2377

jfinch2377 New Member

That sucks...you have to qualify for EACH handgun that you carry?

15. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

yes if the gun you are shooting is a semiauto and the others on the permit are also semiauto they usally will let you slide with just one,but is f say you have a revolver and a semiauto then they will make you qualify with both,and if you use a more complex pistol like a 1911 and a less complex like a glock they will ask to see you operate both safely.

16. Brandon1

Brandon1 New Member

It's sad but when I got my ccp the state messed up three things. So I call them and tell them but they said they not going to send me another card. So they just said we updated u in our systems personally I think I need another card but they would not send me one not sure why.

17. e3mrk

e3mrk New Member

We were allowed to use 22 cal.if we wanted to but most everyone used 9mm or larger.