chiropractors

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by rurak, Jun 5, 2013.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

So I just started seeing a chiro ..... I have always been skeptical but after one visit my back feels better. I don't have chronc pain but every once in a while I will move the wrong way and be in agony for a week to the point where I can't put on my shoes or get out of my truck comfortably. I'm not saying I'm 100% but I'm at 75% up from 25% in one short visit. I highly recommend trying it out if you have back pain!

2. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I find the relief they provide fleeting. Like after a good massage you always feel a little better afterwards. If they provide or recommending stretching etc., I'm sure that helps, but that is not exclusively a Chiropractic thing...it's common knowledge increasing flexibility is always helpful. The neck snapping thing (adjustment they call it) I find gimmicky. I think that snap is similar to cracking your knuckles which releases nitrogen gas in joint fluids nothing more...just my opinion. But, if you find relief with them that is what counts.

3. rurak

rurak New Member

This guy doesn't snap you he uses an adjustment tool and it works :)

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I've been going to our chiropractor for about 2 years now and my back has felt great since then. I crack the last two vertebrae in my back in high school. I've had problems with it for about 20 years. I go once a month now to be aligned. I highly recommend to keep going, but it is up to you since WE ARE NOT DOCTORS!!!:):)

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the chiropractor a doctor?

6. grandpubba

grandpubba Member

Seeing that as a child forever made me not willing to go to one.

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I've always felt that if our spine was meant to be adjusted we would have been born with wing-nuts on it. Many of my former co-workers disagree and say chiropractic treatments are the only thing allowing them to continue their job.

8. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

So, what do you consider a doctor?

9. rurak

rurak New Member

My lower discs are starting to compress. I saw the xrays. My spine and pelvis are way out of alignment. Yesterday I woke up and could barely move. Had pain down my leg and I said eff it I'm going to a chiro. Aft er that visit no pain down my leg and I could actually move ..... its great

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Saw one once upon a time.
    He twisted my back.
    I had to go see a surgeon after that. The Chiro twisted the wrong part and tore my disk worse than what it was.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I am very glad they are around.

12. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

A chiropractor is a doctor, just like your dentist.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A chiropractor is a doctor. But not a physician. However, a D.O. IS a physician.

A Chiropractor is licensed as a D.C.- Doctor of Chiropractic. Have seen some that can do some good. Have some that state that they can cure cancer of diabetes by adjusting your spine.

A D.O. is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. In the the US and Canada, in addition to adjusting or manipulating your spine, the are licensed to perform the general practice of medicine- prescribe meds, give injections, etc. For several years we had a family doc that was a D.O.

Seems to work for some folks, within the limitations of what it can and cannot do. You pays your money, you takes your pick.

14. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Spinal Cord Decompression Therapy

Being an old sheetmetal worker always in odd and strenuous postitions,i've seen a lot of chiropractors through the years. If you're having spinal problems find someone that also uses spinal cord decompression therapy along with Chiropractic,that really seemed to help me quite a bit.
    The spinal cord decompression therapy gently stretches the spine by way of machines,they claim the therapy will correct minor bulged disc,with more decompression of the disc allows greater blood flow through the disc which to a point will regenerate and repair disc to a degree.

After an injury at 47 I finally had to go in for back vertebrate fusion surgery,it has been a life changing experience, up until then the Chiropractors along with Spinal Cord Decompression Therapy was working for me,good luck with your back.

15. ScottA

I was having lower back problems that just were not going away until my chiro started the spinal decompression. I was amazed how quickly things changed.

16. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

ScottA I really think the spinal cord decompression helps a lot,the first time I went in for therapy I could barely walk in the door.
    Glad to hear it helped you out.

17. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Like any other doctor, there are good ones and bad ones. Some things they can treat, some things they should stay away from. Most I've known feel they can cure all - run from them. I know several people the do get relief from adjustments. There's a gentle way, and there's that snapping way that worries me. I had gone to one when I was a teen. He was good, did the gentle adjustments, and helped some back issues and headaches.

A while back I was having issues in my neck and hand, thought it might be stress or a pinched nerve. Went to a new guy for a short while and something didn't feel right despite the adjustments and tracktioning of the neck. The numbess and tingling in my hands should have been the primary clue. Went to a neurologist, had an MRI done (despite what a chiropractor may tell you, disks don't really show up on x-rays), and I had a herniated disk at C4/C5. Once a disk herniates, it doesn't magically pop back in. The option was they could treat it with steroids to reduce the inflamation, but it doesn't cure the problem. Off to surgery by my own choice, because once you have neuro issues and loss of strength, that neuro damage from the disk compressing the nerves may not come back. Got a dead guy's bone in my neck with a plate and four screws. Headaches have been gone ever since, as well as the neuro issues. Strength is still slightly weak in my left hand, but barely noticable. No mobility issues at all. Recovery was a piece of cake. Only pain killer I took was Tylenol for a week due to stiff shoulders, which was expected.

Point is, the chiropractor would have just kept treating me and wanted me to come back after surgery. For what???

I just suggest some caution in using them and buying into what some of them are selling. But you can't argue with people that are getting real relief from it. And that's great for them!

18. ScottA

There are quacks in all professional fields.

19. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

If he is a Board Certified DO he is. DO's can perform surgeries and prescribe medication and treat illness's as a MD can. (similar) . And adjust your spine.

*DO = Doctor of Osteopathy