Chip McCormick magazine failures

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Brad_CCW, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I thought Chip McCormick had a great reputation but I've just had 2 magazine failures in 2 weeks in my Kimber CDP compact. Both times the little chinky tack welds broke on the base plate. The first time I attributed it to +P ammo but this time it was standard loads. Anyone else having a problem?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Call Chip McComick customer service. IMHO this is indicative of a manufacturing problem. I know there are different grades of magazine that CM makes, some less awesome than others, but none of them should fail in the manner you describe.
    http://www.cmcmags.com/Contact.html
    Note: if you look at the site, they have apparently had issues with imitations of their products.

3. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Ya I think I'll call them. If I did get some copies maybe they can track em down. I got them from eBay so it's possible they were fakes. But I compared a Chip McCormick in a local shop and everything looked identical. Tack welds and all.

4. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I had some of their shooting star line.. Less then stellar.. Now, it's Wilson Combat or bust. :cool:

5. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Haven't seen a 7 round flush mag from Wilson. I picked up a couple Kimber. At least the weld looks better.

6. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I also have a CDP Ultra, I don't mind the base pad at all. I actually have an 8 round Wilson as well.
    Just sold a Kimber mag that my pistol didn't like..

As sweet as my pistol shoots and it far more accurate than I am, the base pad or slightly extended mag don't bother me a bit, no one ever sees it and the few who do have never mentioned it. Just my two cents.
    If you'd like to see some pics with both mags if be happy to take a few and post them. :cool:

7. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I actually have the Compact with the 4" barrel. Same frame though. I have the 8 round Wilson too. I live in Mississippi so usually just a t-shirt on and the 8 round shows a little more than I'd like. The 7 round Wilson is less of a problem but I'm gonna run some rounds through the new Kimber mags and see how they do.

Also thinking of sending the broken mags to log man, the guy that mods the EMP magazines. If he puts a full bead on them I shouldn't have any more problems.

What problem did you have with the Kimber mag?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  8. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

9. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Shot through the Kimber mag twice, half way through the second go I had a fail to feed(same as the shooting star mags) so I instantly disregarded it, didn't give it a third go.
    Through a couple thousand rounds and several years my 7 round Wilson has been flawless, the 8 is fairly new, no problems yet..

Even when I had the two Glocks and the XD, anytime I bought new mags, I always took them shooting several times before I used them daily.

10. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

These do look nice, I purchased my last Wilson for the same $37.. If I see these On shelf and no Wilson I'd give one a shot :cool: I think I've seen these mentioned several times here before with great reviews too!

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have yet to see Tripp Cobras in a retailer. Order on-line.

12. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Had to send my Kimber off for several issues (feeding, brass ejecting at me, etc), seems like they got it all fixed the first time. Since then I've only had one failure to feed. That was with the Chip McCormick mags. I had the slide locking open early a couple times with cheap 230 gr ammo.

Haven't shot my Kimber mags lately but in think they were good when I did.

13. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Cool, I book marked the link. I'll be looking to pick up more mags after the holidays.
    I guess after all the recommendations I'll give'em a shot.

I've never herd of a break in on mags so at the first sign of failure I just moved on lol
    Glad you got your pistol sorted out :cool:
    Mines a series one, an older pistol but I love it. I carry it every day and with my exp with it and the Wilson mags I'd not hesitate to carry it or bet it all on it :cool:

Kinda off topic, but how was you exp with Kimbers customer service?

14. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I was a little worried about their customer service but they fixed everything at no cost and even payed shipping both ways. LGS shipped it off for me. I think they told Kimber that I had just bought it brand new, which wasn't entirely true.

15. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Nice! Definitely a shop I'd do repeat business with! Good to hear they took care of everything, there's so much said about their CS as 2nd hand knowledge. Always nice to hear first hand accounts! :cool:

16. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Put about 200 rounds through the new stainless Kimber mags, not one single failure of any kind. Even the cheap TulAmmo that was causing the slide to lock open early sometimes was no problem at all. Reloads were fine, hollow points were fine. Guess I've found my mags, at least for this gun.

17. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Good stuff! :cool: