Chip McCormick 45 acp magazines?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rccalzadilla, Oct 16, 2011.

1. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Has anyone used Chip McCormick 45ACP magazines?
    I'd like to get a few for my new Taurus 1911 Stainless.
    thanks

2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I use them every so often. I personally like the wilson combat mags much better. The wilsons IMO are the most reliable and are reasonably priced.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

From my (limited) observations, some people have had very good luck with them, others, less so.
    For a range gun I'd get a couple and see how they work in your gun.
    For HD or SD, I'd step up to Wilson Combat. They are fairly common and they work very well in my guns. I've also heard that Tripp research is an outstanding product as well. I've been meaning to try them. They come highly recommended.

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Scroll down about 12 topics below this one to "Chip McCormick Power Mag" thread & you'll find some good info about mags.

I have some Chips which I replaced internals with Wilson Combat Kits. Solved some feeding problems for me. I have a couple of the Tripp Research mags on order to try. I won't buy any more Chip McComicks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't had a minutes problems with Chip's mags. I still use the two "shooting stars" that came with my 1911, from about 1994. I have bought more since and they have worked well.

6. Shade

Shade New Member

I have 4 of Chip's mags, 8 rounders and 2 factory mags from Colt 7 rounders. Not a single problem with any of them. I have a Colt
    Government model M 1991A

7. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I use two"shooting star" mags. No issues so far..my only complaint is the metal followers. I may borrow that idea to swap the internals for the Wilson combat guts.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

You'll also find a big difference in the springs. You might check out Cane's link to Tripp magazines. I like the idea of the polymer followers because they are self lubricating, but the metal insert for the slide release is a good idea.

9. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I have the CMC mags for my 9mm 1911. They are pretty good, not as good as Wilson.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

IMO the wilson elite tactical mags are the best out there

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I respectfully disagree with your premise.

[​IMG]

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

[​IMG]

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

[​IMG]

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

[​IMG]

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six months old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Magazines

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Good eye for detail, for sure, but the question in my mind, as a non-engineer, is "does it work?". I know, from years of experience that the CMCs work, I also know the Pachmayr mags work. I have no doubt that there is a "best" magazine out there, but once you reach near 100% function, the only practical difference is in the finish or the bragging rights. I haven't used the Wilsons, but I understand from reading the experts that they are excellent, and after 100 rounds through one I am reasonably sure I would trust it for carry.

I know about the $8.00 specials, because I am a tightwad, and have bought them. They do serve a valuable service in training; for clearing jams. (I wish I hadn't thrown so many of them in the woods):D

It just becomes a question is when is good enough,is good enough.

13. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I have a Wilson Combat CQB that I carry and shoot IDPA with. I run Chip McCormik MATCH mags in it in comp and have never in many years had aby failures of any kind. I also run them in my Kimber Custom 25th Annyversary Edition with the same effect. I also run them in a Kimber UltraCarry with the same results so you can say I'm a big fan of their MATCH mags. I have no experience with their regular mags.

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have been a 1911 fan since I was a kid. I got my first and only one back in about 1981, the Colt Combat Government model. I have used different types of mags in it since then including one of the Chip McCormicks. I recently bought one of the Wilson Combat mags and I have to agree with Alpha1Victor; they are the smoothest functioning and most reliable magazine I have ever tried in my gun. I am going to buy another one.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  15. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

8 rd CM's---no problems. I have 10 of them, 7 Stainless and 3 blued.
    Been using them in USPSA Single Stack for 4 years or so, zero issues.

10 rd CM's. Not so good. They tend to spread just in front of the lips,
    and they have a nasty habit of sticking the top round on the feed ramp
    on a slide-lock reload. It's not just my guns either--I've seen it happen
    a LOT. If I wanted 10 rd 45 mags I would go Tripp or Wilson.

16. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

man...it's been so long since I bought mine I don't even remember what brand they are now!!! I seem to remember the McCormicks as being cheap, and felt cheap. but I don't know anyone from the team that had problems with them jamming or anything.

mine are solid stainless, no holes to count rounds, they have a plastic follower, but the whole mag feels like it's "impregnated" with lubricant, because it feels very slick and smooth. the mags were not cheap either. I'll have to get pics of them to post.

I love them and have never had a problem with them.

17. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Those were not Chip McCormick. IIRC The standard CMC is 50% thicker than milspec and the match is 75%.

18. Transman

Transman New Member

I tried a Chip 10 rounder in my Kimber 460 Rowland today.Very frustated.First two rounds had trouble feeding,after that it ran fine.Put in Kimber mags,no problems.Every time I used the Chip mag,I had to slap the bottom hard to get it on up there,Follower seems flimsy.Want to use it as a pin gun,Would try a Wilson,but Clark doesn't recommend a plastic follower.Any sugestions?

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Buy wilson mags anyway, there is nothing wrong with the polymer follower. I have 10 wilsons and they all perform flawlessly