Chinese sks question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Garandman1945, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I finally got a chance to fire my newly acquired SKS last weekend, and overall I was really happy with it. I shot 40 rounds, I had one hang-up (FTF) right off the bat, but I was impressed with the accuracy and feel. What is bothering me is that every couple of shots the gas piston takedown lever (on the right hand side of the sights) keeps popping up and coming un-latched.

Any experience with this, or how to fix it?

Thanks!
    -Garandman

2. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I tried that at the range, but it's already tight as hell (I need a screwdriver to open it) and it didn't really seem to help.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ah OK then it's a bit worrisome. Have you pulled the gas system apart and taken a look at the individual parts?
    If you can't move it by hand and it is coming up something isn't right.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Are you sure the gas tube is lined up good with that block that contains the operating rod and spring?

5. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I took it all apart for a thorough cleaning after I bought it, and it went back together very smoothly, everything fit, and moved freely if it was supposed to... I haven't had a chance to take it apart since I shot it last weekend. That will probably be my project for this weekend.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ Sounds like a good plan. I'm wondering, what kind of ammo was in use?

7. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I was shooting PMC Bronze, 123g.

(Please bear with me without pictures)
    Upon field stripping the weapon, it's clear that the angle that is filed into the end of the gas tube (where it rubs up against the latch when assembled) is really tight and has some wear marks from rubbing against the closed latch. I am going to file it down a few more strokes and hopefully that will solve my problem...

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Update us when you test it.

9. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

Sure thing!

10. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

Sorry this took so long to test out, but I shot through a box of ammo with it this weekend and it looks like I solved my problem. The latch didn't budge at all. So it looks like what was happening was that the angle on the back of the gas tube that rubs on the round part of the latch was just too tight and slowly rotated the latch with every shot. A few minutes of careful filing and test fitting made it fit snugly, but not overly tight.