Chinese M53 mosin

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by longunner, May 31, 2013.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

Anybody have any experience with these before? There's a guy selling a pair on Armslist and I guess I really just want to know if I should save the money and get an m44. They're pretty beat up and he's letting them go for a good price (I think) he wants between 120-180 depending on the two that I pick out. I want to refinish one and put the other in that new archangel stock. I heard the carbines work better than the 91/30 flagpoles.

2. longunner

longunner New Member

Well they're in REALLY bad shape, so I worked him on the price a little bit, but not much. He said he would do 2 for 260 shipped. I figure it'll be a cool project for me, as I've been looking for project guns for a while. I just hope I'm not in over my head which I very well may be lol. He said the triggers were good and so were the bores, and I'm taking his word for it (hope thats not dumb of me!) Here's some pictures:

3. longunner

longunner New Member

sorry here they are

Attached Files:

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Yup definitely a project. Have fun.

5. marc29th

marc29th New Member

For $260 you can get an almost mint Russian M44 from either classicfirearms.com or J&G Sales. But if you are looking for a project you can find these Chinese Type 53's in the $99-$125 range. They are all pretty much beat to hell wood and decent metal parts so no need to pay top dollar for any.

6. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I just got a closer look at the pictures, I'd pass on them.

7. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

I would pass. Looks like they are in worse shape than just "rough". Once you spend the money to re-do them, you are going to spend a total close to double what they are worth in good condition.

8. longunner

longunner New Member

Well it's the money and the experience. I'm not buying them to refinish and sell, I'm buying them for a project. I know they're In bad shape but I think that will add to the satisfaction of when they are done. I guess my real question now is if you guys think I can fix all that pitting on the bolt handles, it's really where most of the trouble areas are.

9. marc29th

marc29th New Member

That looks like some deep rust and pitting... I'd say you have a 50% chance of having it come out OK.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If the bolt and receiver is any indication of what the barrel looks like I'd pass. Buds Guns has Chinese Type 53s in much better shape for $119.00. They have M44s and M38s as well.

11. longunner

longunner New Member

Well the Mosins were sold to me as having excellent bores and triggers. Now I know better than to expect a good trigger on a Mosin so I knew they weren't going to be excellent, but as for the bores here's some pictures. They are definitely far from excellent. It's hard for me to get pics but I want to see what you guys think of them. Any tips on how to get a good picture of one?

12. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

A good way to get a picture of a bore is to use a bore light and take a picture that way. If you don't have a bore light, a small flashlight should work the same. Kinda like this picture. I know its fuzzy, but its the best I can do at the moment.

Attached Files:

13. longunner

longunner New Member

Heres the best I can do. Honestly the pictures make it look a whole lot better than they are.

Attached Files:

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Yeah from the pics, the bores don't look that bad. But, you never know, they could be ok shooters. They remind me of the old M98 Chinese Mausers. I have never seen one of those in any kind of good shape. Have fun w/ them.
    ct

15. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

Hmmm....the bores look ok. Its going to take a ton of work, but a restoration is doable.

16. longunner

longunner New Member

Most of the rust that is in the barrels is on the end of the action I have a feeling someone shot some corrosive ammo in it and neglected to clean it properly. Here's what I came up with to make my life a little easier:

Attached Files:

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not what I would describe as excellent. Won't know how they shoot 'til you try.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't waste a whole lot if time trying to clean or polish the bores. Just get the major gunk out if them. Then take them shooting and let the steel jackets do some of the work. Then clean up right afterward.

19. longunner

longunner New Member

Seems like a whole lot more fun and a whole lot easier haha

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Seems like the T-53s are always beat up.

I've never seen a clean one.