Chinchillas?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 00possum, Nov 23, 2011.

1. 00possum

00possum New Member

I hunt in Brady Texas and caught a chinchilla in my rabbit trap and hadn't ever seen one before. So now I want to go on a chinchilla hunt because it looked fun. Does anyone know were I can go to shoot some? And the prices?

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Chinchillas are crepuscular rodents, slightly larger and more robust than ground squirrels, and are native to the Andes mountains in South America. Along with their relatives, viscachas, they make up the family Chinchillidae.

Are you sure it was a Chinchilla ?

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

There's never any telling, there's all kind of stuff all over the US that aint native, and a lot down in TX. Could be a few pets got loose, or staged a great escape from the pet store with life rafts made of ponchos. And what's the first thing you wanna do when you get out of prison? That's right, BREED.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

5. 00possum

00possum New Member

I don't have any pics but I'm starting to think it's a viscacha. There is no way a pet chinchilla because I trap on 60 acres which is right beside 4 other ranches with a 100 plus acres.

6. winds-of-change

A pet chinchilla wouldn't survive over night out in the wilds. It would be a quick and easy meal for any predator, from the sky or from the ground. I'm thinking not a viscacha, either, since that is not native to the US and aren't kept for pets here, either. I wish you had gotten a picture. I'm curious to see what it is.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Chupacabra, they got them in Texas.:D

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I was thinking, maybe it was a Jackalope. It's antlers didn't grow in yet.

9. 00possum

00possum New Member

Ain't vicachas supposed to have fluffy tails? This thing looked exactly like a viscacha except it had a possum tail.

10. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Chin chiles........

If it is what you think it is, its worth more alive than dead... Unless it was a pet and has been spayed or neuteured. The same goes for otters, the females bring in a hefty price from those that breed animals for there fur....:eek:

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well what do you think it is?

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have not spent much time in Texas but I have a couple of guesses. Armadillo, Holstein, Aoudad, packrat, javalina, longhorn

13. 00possum

00possum New Member

Half of them are cows and livestock but a armadillo? Really? Maybe a pack rat but that sob is huge for a pack rat

14. winds-of-change

Or it was captured and just it's antlers were taken. I hear jackalope antlers are used in some cultures as aphrodesiacs.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  15. PatrickHarrison

PatrickHarrison New Member

Wtf a chinchila sweet i use to have one dang rodent bastard *mumble mumble* chew on everything jump all over stuff jeez im glad its gone. Hopefully you killed it n kept the body to taxiderm thatd be a cool trophy to talk bout

16. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

DontDont konw diddley bout no Chinchillas how about a Possum on a rail?

can only help ya with domestic possum
    [ame=http://youtu.be/EiKxmXijZGw]Mississippi Possum Hunters Possum On A Rail - YouTube[/ame]

17. igousigloo

igousigloo New Member

Could be a Jackchilla!