Children and Guns

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by WomenofCaliber, Apr 21, 2009.

1. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I grew up with guns in the house. I was taught that they were dangerous from an early age. My dad first took me shooting at age 4. My brother's first trip was at 2.

We grew up in the woods, guns equaled food and recreation. We were taught those things, along with the responsibilities that went with them.

3. WomenofCaliber

I'm glad that you were taught about guns at such an early age. That's great!

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Same here, I got my first BB gun at 5 and was shooting competition by 8. My sister and I were taught all about the weapons my dad had and how dangerous they were, that they were not to be played with, etc.

Never had any problems in our house. It was never something that NEEDED to be played with when the parents weren't around. It was always allowed to ask questions or check them out with proper supervision, so the mystique and "fantasy" part of it went out the window very early on.

I am pro education from a very early age - it will save curiosity getting them in trouble later on.

JD

5. matt g

And so shall my son and daughter. It's my responsibility as a gun owner and a parent.

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Dad took my sister and I shooting when we were 6 and 7. He taught us that guns were not toys, toy guns were toys. He emphasized the destructive nature of guns in that once you pulled the trigger, there was no calling the bullet back or getting a do over; what was done was done. He indoctrinated us with responsibility, something I never thanked him for. For me, I couldn't wait to trade in my toy guns for a real one. My sister went the other way and is anti-gun even though she knows better. That must be a real conflict.

I attended my first hunters safety class when I was 11 years old. Participated on the rifle team in high school (don't see that much anymore) and became an avid outdoorsman. I taught my son to shoot when he was 9 or ten and he went on to earn his Expert Rifleman in the Marines and two requalification bars. I know the Corps had more to do with refining his shooting than I did, but I feel he never got any bum information from old Dad.

I cannot stress how important it is to familiarize children with firearms, especially if they are going to be in a home where firearms are kept. This could even be at a friends home they are visiting. They need to understand the responsibility they undertake when they pick up a weapon.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. matt g

This mirrors exactly what went on in our house.

I never heard the words "Don't touch that, it doesn't belong to you."

It was always, "That's dangerous and you need to make sure that dad is around to help you with it, so no one gets hurt."

8. WomenofCaliber

I agree 100% It is the parents responsibility to teach their children.

9. matt g

Even if you don't teach them, they still learn from you.

10. rugermike

rugermike New Member

I have been doing firearm training for all walks of life for many years now. There are (2) Number one rules in my book #1 communication (both ways) and #2 "knowledge is everything". I'm not judging your blogs or your good hearted ideas, But I have found that some of the pictures you reference have anti-hunter activist written all over them. JMO:eek::eek:::(

11. WomenofCaliber

No anti-hunter platform was ever intended.

12. allyellow

allyellow New Member

My dad wasn't much on hunting, but he still taught me firearm saftey.
    he was alway's big on the handling of firearms and what they could do.

I don't know how many hours I've spent with my oldest son (he's nine) stalking carboard boxs in the back lot with a red ryder BB gun. Teaching proper firearms handling. My youngest son (he's three) trying to follow suit. They both are well aware of what a firearm is capable of doing . Their is no reset like a video game. Anyone could ask my boy's what to do when they find a firearm. Their response would be don't touch it go get Dad!!!

I do have to say the time spent paid off this past fall watching him stalk his first grey squirrel with his .410 . I don't know who was prouder me or him when we sat down for a squirrel dinner that day. Deer season should be interesting this year.:D

13. Spanz

Spanz New Member

I shot my first rifle when I was 5, owned my first rifle when 10. My two kids: started when 6 and I bought rifles for them when they were 10 too. Of course, the laws are stricter now, and I have to lock up their guns for them until they have their licenses.

I guess the answer involves how reliable and able to learn the kids are. There are probably some 20 year olds that are not ready! I think you start them off with .22 rifle, sitting or prone position, and watch them like a hawk. If they are following ALL of the rules you start giving them some slack after maybe 5 times to the range. It helps if it is just you and your kids there--a lot of adults flip out when they see young kids shooting on "their" range.

14. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

IMO the best way to teach children about fireatms is to take them shooting soonly as they come of age to handle the weapon. My dad started my brothers and I about 5 years of age and it was very controlled by dad and mom. Can and bottle targets on our property and how to carry a firearm when shooting as well as not shooting for safety. We never had a BB gun, dad wouldnt allow it. WE started off on a .22 and then to a 16 ga. and then shortly to a bolt .30-.30 before we were 7 y.o. We got to see what damage a bullet could do before it could have been possible a issue, and we were tought respect about what guns could do. My dad who is 98 y.o. now came from Missouri and shooting better have put food on the table or a a$$ whippin was coming from his father. This was an era long gone by, but the value and merits of this generation is priceless in these days and times. My brothers and I have these values only by luck. Guns in our family is no big deal, they are a tool. WE dont see firearms as a defence device or a method of protection, however, if the time arrises we are more than prepaired than most. I rarely hunt any more but I still shoot competition fairly regulary. I compare it to golf. Mostly it's not fun because it's about accuracy and practice, which gets boaring, and taxes ones free time to do other things if you choose to do this and be truely competitive. My dad was given 3 or 4 shells by his dad back in the teens and through the early 1920's and if he didnt bring back as much meat as shells he was given to hunt with he got a a$$ whippen from his dad. They were fairly poor and needed the meat they hunted for to survive. My grand boys ( I only have 2 and they are boys) the oldest one who is just 5 y.o. now shot his first .22 bolt rifle a few months ago. He WILL be taught saftey and how to handle firearms from me and me alone. It's my responsibility and no one elses. My son in law works too much, like me, and doesnt have the proper amount of time to talk and show and let the kids have time to "figure it out" under proper supervision. I dont have a problem with that because I'm here to do that for my grand kids. No NRA coloring book or video will hold a candle to what I can pass down from my dad to my grand boys. (I'm a NRA member BTW) Aside from the aforementioned they (the grand kids) will be taught how to make money and be self sufficent within our given society and not to buy into the "status quo" of society as it stands now or will stand for later. These are only a couple of things that are most critical for me to work on for them IMO. I've done these things for my kids as a single father parent I might add, and it has proven to have worked out well for them.

15. dls56

dls56 New Member

Great post. We raised three children (two boys and a girl) firearms are a big part of my life and it carried over to the boys. They now all have children of their own and I expect the tradition to continue.
    Guns are tools that need to be treated with respect and common sense. Too many people are over thinking some of the most basic thought processes in todays society, it's astounding to me how over protective and controlling our society has become.

16. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I was taught from a very young age that guns are not toys and should be treated with respect. I wasn't even allowed to play with "toy" guns until I was old enough to know the difference. Both my parents took gun safety very seriously. My dad was in the National Guard and my mom lived on a farm when she was younger so they were both around guns alot and they also learned the dangers of firearms from a young age.

Now that I have a little one on the way, I know that firearm safety is one thing I'm gonna take pride in teaching him.

17. WomenofCaliber

I really have enjoyed reading what some of you guys do. I'm glad that our kids are being taught at a young age. More importantly I am happy that they are being taught to respect firearms! :D

18. Spanz

Spanz New Member

Guns are pretty much like anything else you train your kids about. You teach them to look both ways when crossing the street. Your show them how to spot a rip tide at the beach. You show him the bad areas of town to stay away from at night. You point out things around the house that can catch fire, pop into their eyes, splinter off and cut them, etc. You show them how to saw a piece of wood without cutting off a finger. So, of course, you want them to know how to shoot a gun too.

Even if you are an anti, you have to acknowledge that sometime between when they are 5 and 20, they will be at someones house, and that kid will pull out his dad's firearm to show off! You want your kid to be smart enough to make sure nobody points it at anybody else, and either makes sure it is safetied and unloaded, or to at least get the heck out of Dodge before he/she gets shot. If they have never had any training, then the peer pressure to be "cool" is going to be too great, and they are going to play ganstah with it. Some kid who has put 500 rounds down range is not going to be fooling around unsafely with a gun his friend has just found! He will know better.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  19. WomenofCaliber

This is very well said and so true! Thanks Spanz!

20. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Maybe... and I hope you are right.