Chiefs Special

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Grapevinebill, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

My oldest brother who passed away about 10 years ago left a nice collection of handguns with his wife. Recently there were given very quietly to my other brother who still lives very close to her. Among this collection seems to be about 3 or 4 S&W revolvers that I am expecting one of these to be sent to my attention. Several are "Chief's Specials". What can you tell me about these guns? I am assuming they are .38 Specials, am I wrong on that? Did they come in a particular length or did they vary? Anything else I should know?

2. dogwalk

dogwalk New Member

Chief Special

Those are nice revolvers built on the "J" frame. They're small and conceallable but not one you'll enjoy shooting at the range. It's one of my house guns and I love it. If you can find ammo that is not +p that would be good. Enjoy your classic. DOGWALK

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

They will be .38 Special. The first Model 36's were called Chief's Specials. There is a Model 37 Airweight Chief's Special with an alloy frame. There is a model 38 called the "Bodyguard" with a shrouded hammer. There's a Model 50 Chief's Special Target Model with target front sight and adjustable rear sight. The Model 60 is a later stainless model of the Chief's Special originally in .38 Special. It was also available as the "Ladysmith" model. In 1996 it became available in .357 Magnum.

Please keep us in the loop and of course we love pictures. ;)

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Do you have it/them yet?

5. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get it. Not sure how motivated my brother is on getting it sent from NY to Texas, but Ill remind him ;)

6. tCan

tCan Active Member

My favorite handgun. :)

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My EDC gun is a 37

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I have the all steel chiefs special - would love to get one of those Tgt models !
    158 gr fodder is not fun at the range but 110 gr is easier to handle and Sivertips hit POA for my gun. Unfortunately, each gun is different so you'll have get a variety of ammo and see what she likes.

Impossible Shots on TV: Mundan can hit @ 200 yds w one. So the gun can shoot but is considered one of the hardest to shoot well with.

Bowen can improve the sights but S&H is $$$. With SS, hard to pick up front sight. Haven't tried the paint route.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. blindshooter

blindshooter New Member

Introduced in 1952 as the Chief's Special Airweight, this revolver initially had an alloy frame and cylinder.
    In 1954, following many complaints regarding damaged revolvers, the cylinders were made of steel.These early alloy frame and cylinder revolvers were designed to shoot only standard velocity .38 Special cartridges. The use of high velocity ammo such as + P is not recomended

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I find no fun in shooting hot loads or heavier bullets out of either the 36 or 37's. My 37 likes the 115 grain hollow-points(and so do I).

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And IIRC, the Chief's Special was commonly made in 2 inch, but there ARE 3 inch models out there. A 2 inch 36 is my EDC.

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

You do recall correctly, and those 36's are damn fine works of art.

13. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

Why does that display of excellent taste not surprise me?

I'm a 640 no-dash man myself, but hey...;)

14. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Here is my model 60 no dash chief special, in 38 special.

ForumRunner_20130302_124329.jpg

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

gRapevine,

They are great little J Frame revolvers and easy to conceal. Ideal also for a first pistol and first concealment gun due to the fact they are small, well made and simple to operate. They shoot the 38 Special S&W round and are five shot revolvers. The other issue is although you should always shoot regular 38 Specials in them or low powered *Wad-Cutters for practice and general shooting. You can shoot +P 38 Special rounds in them but my suggestion is only for personal protection and should not be normally fired in them. It will damage them over a period of time. With the alloy frame being more susceptible! However it would not hurt to shoot just a bare few through them to obviously see where they hit and for the feel of the higher powered defense rounds, but that is all a bare few! Years ago when I owned gun shops they were one of my number one sellers. They are also double as well as single action if you wish to cock the hammer just for some target shooting at close range since they have a 2 inch barrel on most of them. Every once in a while you would find one with a 3 " barrel but not normally! But for personal protection you should always practice and shoot double action! Sounds like you are going to inherit a fine little revolver! Keep it cleaned and properly lubricated! Have fun!:D

16. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Don't leave out the S/W 637 airweight in .38 spec and like the 36 is a J frame. This 637 followed me home this Morning.... I also have the 63 J frame .22 cal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013