Chicken Killer

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by tinbucket, Aug 13, 2020.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Kids lost one chicken per night for two nights but last night they lost 9.
    First one they just got the head. Second one it ate most of the chicken. It fed on all of the 9 chickens. It even dug up and ate the parts of the two chickens SIL Buried away from the pen.
    it had to climb the chicken pen to get in. They are thinking it was a Bob cat(s) We have not seen any around?
    Coyotes are light can they climb chicken wire?
    Don't know what the tracks looked like. They said it had big foot pads.

2. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit Member

If your chicken coop has even a hole big enough for your fist a number of critters can get in. Most would surprise you at their ability to get to your chickens.Don't underestimate coyotes as they can scale a 10 foot smooth cinder block wall to get food. Dogs and cats are fair game to coyotes and chickens will feed them nicely.

Ghost1958 and winds-of-change like this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I lose most of mine to coons but no mistaking their tracks. Although we have bobcats on our farm, never seen them around the buildings. Foxes are adept climbers sometimes but here usually carry off birds to eat elsewhere. Possums are just dumb but enjoy both meat and eggs. Dogs can kill a bunch in short order. Eagles, Hawks, and owls get a few but not often.

Even had weasels in the henhouse get some small chicks. Automatic opening/closing coop door is my best investment. Everything eats chicken, including me. Good Luck!

4. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

How tall did they run the Chicken wire? Key item!

5. Chuck Roberts

Chuck Roberts Active Member

My chickens are fenced in with 5ft high fencing covered with chicken wire.
    I also have fencing attached on the grounded and tied in with the bottom of the fencing so anything that try’s to dig under will just run in to a wire barrier.
    The chickens are locked in the coop at night.
    Set it up this way and you won’t have any issues. Mine have been fine for several years.

Sniper03 and winds-of-change like this.
  6. tinbucket

The chicken wire is 6 ft and buried in the ground flat a foot with pavers over outside and inside or they have some separate chicken wire buried and tied into the upright fencing. I don't remember what I was told. I understood they put chicken wire over the top too.

7. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you know if the wire was torn apart some? Or did it squeeze under the top? Chicken wire by itself is not very strong.

8. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's coons, once they start you've got a battle on your hands. Too bad they're cute to look at for they are vicious, smart, and determined. Also not bad parboiled and bar-b-qued.

PANDEMIC and winds-of-change like this.
  9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Sounds like coons to me! When I kept chickens they were my biggest problem.
    Connibear 220 helped thin them out, I took 11 out 2 years ago and 9 last year.
    Make a bucket set and bait it with something they can't resist and your on your way.
    Buy a setting tool it's worth it, you can set with a piece of rope just be careful they are unforgiving!

10. Pasquanel

If you decide to go with a bucket set place it where it would be difficult for skunks or you' end up with a different problem!

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

IMO

Usually a cats will eat what the want! But they will also kill for sport!
    They proved that to me when I use to Quail hunt a lot. They would catch a covey of Quail on the Roost. Then at night kill a bunch of them on the Roost just for sport. Only eating on one or two of them! *Seen It several times!
    I guess my question is were all the other chickens attempted to be eaten or just bitten? That will have a lot to do with who the culprit/s might be.
    And Bobs pretty much being a solitary animal I doubt it was a Bob!
    Fox will usually kill and carry their food off to seclusion to eat it! But will not stay just to kill a bunch that they will not take off to eat.
    Coons, Possum, Weasel, Feral Cat possibly! Keep in mind most have their young with them this time of year! Feeding them and teaching them to forage!
    You need to get a trail camera and set it out to find the source of your culprit/s

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    PANDEMIC likes this.
  12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Raccoons will shred as many chickens as they can.

13. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Raccoons & Possums are messy killers and they kill for fun. I have 40 chickens, and just a week ago or so I lost 2 in 2 days. 1 per night. 1 chicken was missing a head and the other had the insides torn out. We put a dog in there with them and no problems since. Or put a trap on the outside with bait that has a really strong smell, and once you catch it, either drown it or shoot it.

Or put a game cam out there if you think its a bigger critter then a coon or possum like if its a fox for example and you'll know for sure what it is after a few nights.

Sniper03 likes this.
  14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My sister had chickens. Once a coon got in her coop. She ran into the coop to see 9 chickens shredded and dead/dying. She said it wouldn’t be so bad if the coon took a chicken and ate it. But they slaughter everything they can get their paws on.

Oldoutlaw, Sniper03 and PANDEMIC like this.
  15. Pasquanel

I had 12 torn to shreds in one night and lost the other12 two days later!
    Like I said before connibear 220 bucket set.

alsaqr, G66enigma and Sniper03 like this.
  16. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

Chickens lay better with music playing and the noise keeps varmints away.

A radio works fine

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Admittedly, I don't know much about raising chickens. That said, I would think "surfing bird" by the Trashmen would be the most productive for egg laying. Or Barry White.

Ingramite, alsaqr and winds-of-change like this.
  18. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have multiple critters visiting.
    Weasels take the head and drink the blood. Used to raise rabbits and every morning there would be 4 or 5 headless bodys .
    Coon wont dig up a carcass but coyotes, possums , fox or cats will.

Plus a fox or coyote can clear a 6 ft fence without touching it..
    Couple of tricks.
    Music as has been said.
    Put a dirty t shirt in the pen . The human smell that close will turn most critters.
    Or a speaker in the pen to alert you when the chickens are being disturbed and a good 12 ga.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  19. tinbucket

SIL called yesterday evening. From thee tracks it is coyotes We have a permanent family of them not far from the house. I have asked some neighbors who said they wanted to hunt them to clean them out. I have asked TWRA for assistance but crickets! The turkeys some have been killed others moved on. No rabbits, no ground birds, and even the squirrels are disappearing. In 2014, i think, they came down on my SIL and his pups he was walking, Whistling for the Mom and Dad dogs saved them.
    The ground is hilly with huge trees and blow downs and boulders. I'm 72 and disabled so it is extremely risky for me, but when I get home, I'll have to try to go after them, otherwise they may come after my wife, me or others some day. They are not afraid of men.

G66enigma likes this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you bait them? Seems like they like chicken.

Rifling82 likes this.