chicken feed

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Birchhatchery, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

how long will fresh milled chicken layer feed last kept in steel container my dog food says it will keep in the bag for year and 3 months from now

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dog food gets cooked before being bagged. Laying mash will contain eggs from bugs (weevils, moths) that are naturally present in the grains- that will hatch if stored at room temp. I'm guessing at 6-9 months, but less than a year.

But that would be a GREAT question for your state ag service.

3. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

so much for really keeping that on stock i wonder if the same for bagged goat feed also

4. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

My chickens eat it up too quick to worry about spoilage. If you're thinking about stock piling laying pellets for emergencies? IMO, as long as the pellets stay dry, don't get wet / ferment, they should last indefinitely I would think? I never met a chicken who didn't love to eat any type of bug. If it's small enough to get through the chicken wire, my chickens attack it and gobble it up (ants, roaches, grasshoppers, mice, toads, wasps, etc.).

5. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

the feed i buy is all natural the feed mill here makes it them selves corn beanse calcum grinded up what the big laying houses use i have 10 leghorns my contaners hold 375 pounds of grain

6. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

When you read the ingredients, think about it. I mix my own chick food...clay peas, corn and oyster shells...I grow the peas and corn and I have a 3 pick-up load pile of oyster shells (free). Easy to mix myself....I have leghorns too and no grinding required (except the shells) which my 12 chickens only require 4 or 5 shells a week. Easy to bust up yourself. I grow enough pencil cob corn and clay peas on a 100x60 plot to last chickens over a year. So not much room needed to grow food for them. I also have 2 pens for the chicks. I grow mixed scrap seeds in one and when they are up and making veggies, I move chicks into that pen. Then plant pen they just came out of. They get fresh veggies and all the bugs they want. Can also feed out 3 wild caught pigs on same size area in corn and turnips. Having plenty of garden space for prepping is most important for me.

Jimmy

7. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

so does milled mashed feed or whole grains like wheat sunflour seeds whole corn whole beanse last longer? my chickens are moselty free ranged so i could feed them whole grains and i dont think i would see a big decline in eggs especially with leghorns as they lay like its 16 hour day now

8. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

Mine lay same with whole grain or mash. Makes easier for me with whole grain. Your leghorns give you lots of double yokes? Mine do. I love 'em. They eat good too when time to have young fresh layers.

Jimmy

9. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

yes they do always been my favorite farm chicken i eat the roos also

10. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

keeping grain

We kept grain for years in dry wooden floord structures we called Grainairies
    ours was a wood shed on skids 20 foot long, 8 foot walls 12 at peak, 8 foot wide, vented galvanized tin roof, with tin roof hatches so bulk feed trucks could auger the feed right in where you wanted (ends of shed next to peak also had 2.5foot hinged doors for venting and loading) , it had open floor space to keep 50# bags of rock salt, 38# bags of supplimentry minerals, salt blocks were stacked in there too, kept 100# hemp bags of Blood Meal, Cotton Seed meal and Fish Meal, 50# bags of Crushed Oyster shell (Fur layen hens)the shed sat on slabs of concrete, was handy place to store the corn sheller(handy for husking black walnuts), we hung our Popcorn in gunny sacks up in the rafters,
    They were a excellent source of mice (live trap bait for catfishing) and meal worms for Ice Fishing.

The feed delivery trucks can useally carry more than one type of grain or feed (compartmentalized)
    Pictured are the 3 types of hand sheller I used as a kid
    the type of small grainbin available today
    The ear corn is kept in a open air corn crib the weather proof part was the other side farm tractor or vehicle was parked in the center out the elements this was called a drive through, some had sliding doors on rails to secure the equipment

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

grain storage

they can be very basic like a special room of a shed or barn & chicken coop to detached buildings.

Attached Files:

12. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

very interestin ive been on the farm my hole life but never new how long mashed layer feed would last i was told 6 months in winter 4 months in summer guess ive always had to many animals they eat it up to quick ive been startin to reserch and start preparing more and more as time goes on is why this question was brought up i store hole ears corn in cribs outside for animals in the dead of winter i like to feed it for extra energy and fat