Chicken coop....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Apr 26, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

My sister and her boyfriend live in St.Louis,County and have chickens...They have had them for about six years,and they would give me egg's all the time...The yolks are real orange and the egg's taste so much better,so I thought I would get some chickens my self...Just five or six chickens...I'm building the chicken coop out back,witch is just a small shed with a flip open door and a ramp...Anyway her boyfriend said it's real easy to raise chickens and the feed is cheap..So I'm in the middle of this and was wandering if anybody in gun land has chickens and how easy this is going to be???.....I'm reading alot on the internet but still feel uneasy about this..I don't live way-out in the country but I live next to a big set of woods and coyotes,owls and other predators are all over the place...Even some stray dogs pass through now and then and my yard is not fenced...Anybody got any advice???..I've already started building the coop so theres no turning back now!!!...

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

It's easy. We have 19 chickens right now.

They drink a lot more water than you can believe.

Make sure predators can't get to them. Don't know what you have where you are, but we have to be aware of chicken hawks during the day and foxes and raccoons at night. Make sure they're inside at night and no one can get to them.

You have to clean the shavings on the floor of the coop out once a week at least.

They're about the stupidest animal on the planet, but they're actually kinda fun.

Good luck!

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

WOW..19 chickens...How many egg's do you get a day with that many chickens??....

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

None yet, they're too young. But in a few months, I'll be in cholesterol heaven.

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Didn't you spend the past year trying to lower your cholesterol? :confused: :p

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well, uh...yes! Good memory!

I won't eat 'em that often, just give them away to friends or throw them at people I don't like.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

8. freefall

freefall New Member

Make sure no rats can get in to your chicken house. Pouring an inch of concrete on the floor will keep rats from chewing up and also keep chicken poo from rotting things out.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

10. Harleygunner

Harleygunner New Member

11. hogrider

hogrider New Member

If you can, make sure you have one rooster. A rooster will act as your guard dog and will 'try' to protect his flock. And make sure you can lock them in at night so raccoons can't get them. We lost one chicken to a fox before we got a rooster and lost one to a raccoon before we locked them in. Predators are your biggest concern. Hawks are the other one that can get them if you let the free range. Even if you lose some the eggs you'll get are worth every penny. They are just not the same garbage you get at the store. Plus it's fun the watch them. Good luck.

12. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

A Rooster at 6:00am...every morning ...now your scaring me...That sounds like H3ll on earth...just kidding...Hawks..You guys got everything covered...I guess you can't stop a Rooster from crowing till later in the day,like tricking him or something??....:D

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

He's right, you MUST have a rooster.

And just as many roosters crow at different times of the day as those that crow at dawn, so it's kind of a crapshoot in that respect.

14. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I thought all Roosters crowed only in the morning.....:confused:

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

negatory....

16. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Nope, they crow when ever they want through out the day. I used to think they crowed when ever a hen laid an egg but that's not true either. Just when they want. They are a necessary evil. Needed to guard the flock if free ranging. Not needed if you have an enclosed yard but that gets expensive fast.

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Inside our coop. Rooster in the middle. $hit everywhere.

Ours are only two months old. For the first several weeks, they were kept strictly inside. We starting letting them out three weeks ago. They are still very timid about going outside, but they tiptoe out a little further every day.

Attached Files:

18. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Do you have a Naked Neck or is she just molting? The are the strangest looking chickens, sometimes called Turkens but have nothing to do with a turkey at all. To put this on a gun related note....what are you going to shoot them with? Just kidding of course.:D

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, we have three or four Naked-Necks.

20. hogrider

hogrider New Member

That's a good looking and functional coop you have there. Looks a lot like mine except mine is metal. We only have six with one rooster. Figure that's all the eggs we need even considering the fact that free range eggs are more healthy than the commercial ones.