Chicago gun buy back

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by atari101, Jun 19, 2012.

1. atari101

atari101 New Member

Interesting thought process... Turn in and firearm for a $100 visa gift card. No questions asked. You may not use the gift cards at a gun store. Wow! I'm on the lookout for old rusty pos guns to trade in! I've got 4 so far. I think a new ruger gp-100 is calling my name!

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Gun Buyups
    Gun “buy back” programs are misnamed.
    You cannot buy back something you didn’t
    own in the first place. Since the Brady law
    prohibits dumping such guns into criminal
    lairs (gun buyers must be certified by the FBI
    these days), there is no longer justification for
    destroying firearms collected in buyups.
    That’s right, there is no longer any justification
    at all for destroying firearms collected in
    buyups. When buyups are government
    funded, meltdowns are therefore wanton
    destruction of a public asset, and someone
    deserves to be held liable. Tax dollars are
    buying legal property simply to destroy it,
    when the only way to sell it is to certifiably
    law-abiding individuals. What an outrage.
    Where I live, savvy collectors have set up
    shop at widely publicized gun buyups to
    make competitive bids and cherry pick the
    merchandise, pre-smelter.

Quoted from "Politically Corrected Glossary" by Alan Korwin

http://www.gunlaws.com/politicallycorrect.htm

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Any government that buys broken swords and lame horses is a weak nation.

DK:)

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I am going to start learning to speak with a British accent, because this sure sounds a lot like what happened to them! Hallo Govna!

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Does an Enfield have a British accent?...I'll just speak with that...;)

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The "no questions asked" aspect is illegal. If any of those firearms were stolen then the city of Chicago is receiving stolen property. Where's the BATFE when you need them?

7. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Yeah I can get used to using an Enfield!

So I might say that, this will only uncrease crime. Because since no questions are asked, criminals might rob others to obtain gift cards. Why do they not do checks on the firearms to insure they are not stolen?! The government is so dumb at times.

Also who woould sell a gun for 100 bucks, only 3 people thats who,
    1. someone who is no in the know of the value of the gun.
    2. Only broken guns would be sold.
    3. only stolen guns will be sold.

8. bkt

bkt New Member

That's a very astute observation and dead-on correct.

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Its a sham, now the police are no return pawn brokers! Instead of spending their time rounding up guilty crooks, they are spending our money buying innocent weapons and melting them!

Why dont they use that tactic with illegal drugs, after-all, they kill 1000 times more people than legal and illegal firearms combined. Bring your crack in to the station and we will pay you for it to get it off the street!

Sounds good if you say it fast enough but it is a worthless act of futility. My Grandma turned my Grandfathers pristine Army Issue 1911 into the Alb Police department after he died because she was afraid of having it in the house (unannounced to me unfortunately!). They never told her it was not illegal or was worth big bucks. I bet thats sitting proudly in some police chiefs collection today!

20+ Years ago, when I worked in a TV Shop as an apprentice, I had the occasion a few times to go to the Utica Police Chiefs house to fix a used TV he bought from us. The cheapest guy I ever met, he wouldnt spend a dime to see Christ ride a tricycle! His Man Cave had no less than 20 handguns hanging in holsters off his ceiling like ornaments, some even had bullets in the ribbons of the belts. I wonder how many of those were confiscated or turn ins?

Like Mustard said, paying $100 for a broken POS weapon that can never shoot anyone is also a crime, rusty pieces of scrap metal go for about 60 cents a pound! They dont destroy cars, boats and houses confiscated during raids or used in the commission of crimes, they re-use them or sell them. Why do they destroy every gun, most guns are not illegal?

Lastly, Vincent is right, destroying these assets is a total waste of property and time, some of these belong in a museum not a smelting pot. How many are stolen and if they destroy a single one of those, they are destroying evidence and a private citizens legal property, there are laws against that kind of thing in this country. The ATF should have to clear each and every piece before its paid for then all should go to auction where at least the taxpayer has a chance to see some of the money spent buying them returned to the tax fund.

This doesnt make anyone any safer, its just feel good, liberal tripe not real police work!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The police never run the "buyback" guns through NICS to determine if they were stolen or used in a crime.

11. atari101

atari101 New Member

Looks like I hit the bee's nest with this one! I don't agree with chicago's BS politics or the gun program. I don't pay IL taxes.
    I guess I'm saying that I'll be proving that these programs don't work because I'll be dropping off junk and going to get something nice. Call it exploitation, call it whatever u want. I don't feel bad. If gangbangers can get a free pass, then I can trade in legit crap and add to the collection!

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

All these guns in a buyback are purchased through an FFL, right?

They call in a criminal background check with each purchase, right?

A transfer fee is paid, correct? :rolleyes:

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It says that the $100 gift cards cannot be used in a gun store. I wonder how they enforce that? Did all of the gun stores in the area sign on to this? Is it on the honor system?

That and as I mentioned earlier, if they don't run the serial numbers and the gun is stolen then they are receiving stolen property. That is not to mention the guy from whom the gun was stolen.

14. atari101

atari101 New Member

I'm sure the money order machine at Walmart will take them and make them into money orders, then spend it however seen necessary. There's always a way around the problem.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I actually hope that Chicago is naive enough to just tell people they can't buy guns with the card and trust them:D.

I wonder, can we travel there from out of state to sell our junk guns to the city of Chicago? That would be wonderful! Bring your old scrap guns with a serial number (or not!) and get a Benjamin for each one! Is there a maximum number that one person can sell to them? Or will I need to bring my minor children and maybe hire a bum off the street for $5 to handle the transaction?

16. atari101

atari101 New Member

It's no questions asked. I'm not confirming or denying that I'll be coming from a neighboring state. I have family in the area so I'll borrow one of their cars as to not arouse suspicion. I currently have 4 but am working on more. From other Chicago events I read about in the past. There are police to make sure people arnt handling them in public. A few people have turned in up to 15. No specifications on the website. If I had that many, I might split them up into a couple sites as to not raise eye brows.
    As far as the cc gift cards, I can't imagine that they can restrict them to not be used at gun stores. Maybe you can easily use them at a large sporting store that just happens to sell firearms? Just not Bass Pro!!!! (read my old posts)
    Maybe they have a "not to be used for firearms purchase" printed on the front? Who knows? That's the easy part, money orders or most banks will do a cash advance on them with no charges. Possibilities are endless

17. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I sure wish they would have that $100 buy-back near me!

18. atari101

atari101 New Member

I wish I knew about this before last week so I could accumulate more crap to give the CPD. I'll be saving for next years shin dig assuming they don't arrest me at this one. Anyone know if there's a limit on how many personal firearms u can buy &/or sell in a given time period? Probably should pay a visit to the ATF's website

19. tCan

tCan Active Member

Where are you guys getting these guns from for less than $100? Seems like even a busted one goes for at least that, not to mention the FFL transfer.

20. atari101

atari101 New Member

I posted on armslist and Craigslist (very slyly) that I was looking for rusty, junk, or broken firearms. Got 2 nagants beyond repair, a Schmidt 22 revolver and some other broken revolver that rusted and pitted. Working on a couple of bryco's right now. I'm hoping I can wrap that up by tomorrow cus I'd almost like to keep and re-blue the Schmidt.