Chicago abolishes gun register in place since 1968

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Vikingdad, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Chicago abolishes gun register in place since 1968

Wed, Sep 11 15:11 PM EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Gun owners in Chicago will no longer be required to register their weapons and obtain a city firearms permit after the City Council on Wednesday voted to eliminate the two provisions, in a victory for gun rights advocates.

Chicago gun owners will still be required to apply for a concealed carry license under a new state law, but the gun registry in place since 1968 will be abolished. Illinois earlier this year became the last state in the nation to permit some form of possession of guns in public.

(Reporting By Renita Young; Editing by Greg McCune)

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Good for the people of Chicago and hopefully really bad for the criminal class in Chicago!

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's a step in the right direction.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Sure the street gangs are going to line up for CCW permits. The citizens of Chicago will be stalled by Red tape for ever. The snakes will continue to dine on the mice.:eek:

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Say what? The way I see it people will be able to legally arm themselves for self defense. The criminals will continue to go about their business as usual, but might start to practice their marksmanship in order to avoid getting shot by a LAC.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The gang bangers don't need a CCW. All they need is the cash to purchase an illegal gun.

I don't understand why people try to blur the line between legal guns and illegal guns. The concept is simple. One is a gun purchased by a law abiding citizen for use by law abiding citizens. The other gun is purchased by illegal means by a criminal or someone with criminal intent. Enforce the laws on the books!

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A gun can be legally purchased by a law abiding citizen and subsequently used in a criminal act. That makes it an illegal gun.

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

Great News! Now if we could abolish some Federal gun laws from 1968, that would really be cause to rejoice!

Congrats to Colorado for unelecting several gun control politician's.

9. etbob9

etbob9 Member

I think that makes a law abiding citizen a criminal if he uses it in a criminal
    act. The gun did nothing illegal. If the gun is stolen or sold to a criminal,
    and used in a crime, the gun is not illegal, only the act of the criminal using
    the gun is illegal. A hunk of steel and plastic cannot be illegal, only illegally
    used or owned.

How many gang bangers are going to be able to legally purchase a gun, let
    alone get a permit to carry it? The new laws will, hopefully, give the LAC a
    chance to protect himself and family from the criminals who already illegally
    own a gun. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good for Chicago. Another victory. I wonder what spurred this on, though?

11. etbob9

etbob9 Member

This is probably a result of recent preemptive pro gun laws passed by the Illinois
    State Legislature. I'm sure Chicago fought it all the way. ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  12. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Nitestalker was only saying that the citizens of Chicago will be put through the ringer trying to get their permits. While they are being stalled with red tape the criminals will continue to use them for prey. Chicago is notorious for that kind of thing.

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

OMG Pigs are flying.

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

you mean the gun registry did not provide the names of all the gang-bangers killing each other and the 4 year olds that sleep next to Big Grandma's window in the front of the house? Who'd a thunk it!

I smell a rat. Gun-grabbing Libbies do not give up that easy. I expect we will see a 'bullet-registry' instead, as it seems much easier to get legal bullets than it is to get illegal guns. Fits right in with other Chicago-Community-Organized Idealism!

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

And guess what? There is no mention of this in the alphabet news. But then, if all the Chicago LACs learn about it there won't be nearly as much crime for the media to report about.

16. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

Great news for the freedom loving people of Chicago!

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

This may sound callous, I don't think this or the new CC law will make much of a difference. As has been said in this post, red tape will be crazy and long for a CWP.

Most people there are probably conditioned to not see a CCW as a solution to the crime and murder. These people for the most part probably don't know any different from the "Sh!tcago Way".

Then to top it off, cops aren't in favor of CCW in Chicago and have said that it will cause lots of problems and they will shoot people with a gun. I'm pretty sure someone posted that "Halt Or I'll Shoot" article here about the LEO hostility towards CC in Chicago.