Chiappa Rhino

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Texanbybirth, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I've been considering getting a .357 for part time CHL use and to have a revolver for my wife to use as a home defense gun when I'm out of town. I've read some reviews and I like the idea of less muzzle flip. I like the 6 rounds of .357.

Do you guys have any experience or opinions? Would I be better off with a Ruger SP101?

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Don't know much about the rhino but would be hard to go wrong with the ruger. Wanted to see what is said about the rhino. Good luck

3. FAS1

FAS1 Member

I have a large hand and the Rhino's grip is very small. Might make it a little easier to conceal, but the SP101's grip would sure feel better in my hand shooting .357 rounds. The rubber in the Rhino's grip is very soft, so if it fits your hand it might not be too bad. Kinda ugly in a functional way :D

I would probably choose the Ruger for me.

4. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I should have googled it first. Enough people are having dependability problems with it that I'm not about to buy it, especially at it's current prices. Maybe somebody else will pick up on Chiappa's strengths and do it reliably.

5. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I wouldn't mind having a rhino for the "well, I'll be damned" factor.

Nothing else, tho.

Hard to go wrong with an SP101. Great little pistol.

6. mcb

mcb New Member

I'd love to hear some first hand accounts from someone who has handled a Rhino.

7. klw

klw New Member

Chiappa firearms

Information on any Chiappa firearm might be interesting. I don't think that they have been very well received.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've read that the Rhino's trigger/hammer mech is more like a striker fired pistol than a typical revolver due to the geometry of the bottom cylinder being the discharge point. The principle of reduced muzzle flip by placing the bore lower and closer to the shooters center of axis is well established in pistols but I'd need to see some substantial data on realiability before I could trust the cylinder timing of a design that deviates so radically from that which was fine tuned over two centuries ago and is still in production.

Tack