Chiappa M1-22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Mouser, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Mouser

Mouser Member

Just acquired one recently...it is not real well constructed, but it is not expensive either. I also own an M1 carbine so I was excited to get the rimfire version. I have to say it is fun to shoot...that is when I can get the darn thing to feed. I've tried a few different brands and I've come to the conclusion that the issue is with the plastic magazines and its fit. It is truly poorly made with many plastic parts but new out of the box, it aught to feed with some regularity...mine doesn't.

Anyone else own one and what are your experiences? I don't know of any 3rd party magazines available..if it would feed, it is screaming for a 15 and 30 round magazine.

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

My only experience is this: I saw one cheap on Armslist, did a little homework, and said &-+# no.

Sorry it isn't working out for you, maybe try more different ammo types?

3. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Don't own one. As I understand things to be, the newer ones are far better than the older ones. Not sure of the issues that were corrected. Had been somewhat interested in their 9mm version for the same reason as you, but if I get a pistol-caliber carbine, it will probably be a CX4 storm to match my 92FS. Otherwise, I'll continue with my USGI WarBaby - sparingly.

If I'm feeling rich, I may consider a Fulton Armory M1 Carbine...Then I'll feel poor (they are very proud of their weapons!).:)

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. primer1

I would like to end up with a Jr carbine in 9mm.

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought one of their 22lr AR15 uppers and it totally soured me on Chiappa. I was looking at the Double Badger but I would have to do a detailed exam before I bought one.
    Keltec Sub 2000 is available for Beretta 92 mags. I have a Gen 1 that uses Beretta mags and has been reliable. Only malfunctions were on the 1st couple of mags a long time ago.
    I was looking at the JR Takedown when I found a Gen 2 Keltec that takes Glock mags considerably cheaper. It has run flawlessly with 7 different mags including 2 ETS 30 rounders. The Keltecs seemed to be made of unobtainium for a while but I have seen several lately at decent prices.

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I bought a Chiappa 1911 .22 LR when they were first offered. It was not acceptable as a .22 pistol. The functioning was not good due to it poor fitting.:(

7. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

a 30 caliber M1 Carbine has been on my "wish" list of guns for several years, but most are stupidly priced, for just a fun plinker type gun. even had thought about one of these in a 22 rim-fire, but if they are problematic, then i doubt i will get one, and just hold out till i run across a decent deal on a 30 caliber carbine instead.

8. primer1

Chiappa has many other rifles that many might not know of.... Falling blocks, air rifles, lever actions, and a m1-9 carbine in 9mm that retails at $600. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. RJF22553

Dallas, I'm leaning toward the CX4 for a pistol-caliber carbine due to its interchangeability with the 92FS mags (I have "a few")....

The .30 cal carbine round is pretty potent - far more so than a .357 Mag. Killed a lot of BGs during the wars - despite the naysayers.

Certainly, 9mm ammo if far less expensive than .30 carbine, which leans me toward the CX4, but there is something about an M1 Carbine feel that can't be described - or met.

So I'm at the:
    1) Do I need one? (nope, but that's irrelevant).
    2) For what will I use it? First (and always), HD; second fun plinking. As much fun as you can have without a "giggle switch"...

There is always the endless chase of "but for a few bucks more..." and as much as I'd love a Fulton Armory M1 carbine, I'll either not pursue the purchase of another carbine, or get a CX4 Storm - mostly for sporting fun.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Dallas53

your post echos many of my same thoughts as well.

1) do i need one? not hardly. just want one for the sake that i want one for plinking and fun shooting.
    2) for what will i use it for? same answer as #1. just because i want one. yes, it could possibly be used for HD purposes if needed.

i ran across one used a few years ago on consignment for $650, but it had a sporter style aftermarket stock, which didn't appeal to me in the least, and i would have replaced it with a more period correct style stock. i offered $500, considering the cost of a new stock for it, but the owner didn't want to sell it for that. he countered with $600, so i passed on it. i wasn't going to pay almost what a new one cost for a used one with having to buy a different stock. by that time i would have been almost at the same price as new one.

maybe i will get lucky and find a decent one at a decent price in 30 caliber.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

for those looking for a M1 carbine style in 22lr check out Rugers 10/22 M1 , very nice gun with the M1 look and the 10/22 reliability

12. Mouser

Mouser Member

I did look at the 10/22 version, but was tugged towards the M1 for purely nostalgic reasons... I hate the the gun is so poor and unreliable because it is a lot of fun to shoot. Maybe there will be some after market mags one day that will help with reliability. One thing I did not care for is the 10 round capacity instead of 15 or 30 for the m2 version. Live and learn....fortunately, it is not an expensive gun

13. potmetal

potmetal Member

I got one of the Chiappa M9-22 pistols awhile back. It's a Beretta M9 look alike in 22lr. It had some weight to it, it felt like a real Beretta. The price was very reasonable, so I got it and took it out with about 5 different kinds of 22 ammo, to see what it liked.
    I've rarely ever had a gun that just wouldn't work, but this one was it. It was rare for 2 rounds to feed and extract with out a jam, no matter what ammo I used, or which of the 2 mags I used. I tried for over an hour to figure out why it wouldn't feed or extract a bullet without a malfunction but had no luck.
    I took it back to the store I got it from and explained the problem. The owner had an indoor trap setup to test fire guns. He took it back there, spent about 20 minutes with it, came out and gave me my money back. I've never bought another Chiappa and never will.

14. RJF22553

Well, I broke down and got a CX4 in 9mm. Takes 92FS mags. Got it Friday, cleaned it up Saturday, and put 30 rounds through it Sunday. It is still fugly, but kinda growing on me. Handles wonderfully, fits just right, and unloaded, is under six pounds. It, along with my Minis, will scratch my plinking itch and give my USGI some rest.

Dallas53 likes this.
  15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The CX4 is a nice carbine but not inexpensive. I went with the Keltec Sub 2k that takes the 9mm FS mags. I also have one that takes Glock mags. Both are very reliable.

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. Dallas53

RJF, looking forward to a range report on your new gun! :)

how much did it finally cost out the door just out of curiosity?

17. RJF22553

Got it through Bud's. It would have been $698 were I patient enough to send in a check and wait for it to clear. Using a credit card cost me an additional $20, so $718.

Even though shipping is free, they charge $7 for insurance. So $725.

They also offer a lifetime replacement warranty; another $34. I opted for that. So $759. My nephew (the heir to our "vast estate") has the same first and last name, so it should be good for him, perhaps, when he inherits it.

$20 transfer fee at my LGS, so total amount was $779. While I was at the LGS, I also bought a box of fifty rounds of Blazer brass - another $15.

The expense was one of the reasons I have played it off for so long. I finally rationalized that we spend that amount every 3-4 months on feed, supplements, hay, medicines, vet calls, trimming, and bedding for our two horses...We can afford it, it just didn't seem a decent price. Probably should have jumped on a NIB one (LEO order cancellation) two months ago, for $598. But I just wasn't "ready". Finally decided 1) life's too short; 2) I wanted it; 3) thought that perhaps prices will only go up with all the gun-control knee-jerking going on; and 4) the sooner I get it, the more I'll get to shoot it before 1) above takes effect.

I actually held an SU2000 several months ago (at the same gun show I handled the CX4). While the price was appealing, the two main things I didn't care for was no last-round-hold-open, and the charging knob moving back and forth under the stock (thought it could get caught up in heavy, bulky clothing). I also just didn't like the feel of it. And IMHO it is even uglier than the CX4, which is saying something (but the CX4 is growing on me). I wasn't interested in a folder, either.

So "buy once, cry once"...

It was less expensive than the Mini-14 I purchased last year (but not by much), and I think I'll be shooting it more than my Minis. I couldn't imagine that a month ago...

Dallas53 likes this.
  18. Dallas53

awesome RJF! thanks for the info.

not exactly cheap, but if it's what you want, then price usually isn't a big obstacle if you can afford it. might as well get something that will give you enjoyment in owning and shooting. and you're right, life is too short.

i'm still want an M1 Carbine though! i'd really like to have two of them. one in the original 30 Carbine round, and one in 22 rim-fire.

19. RJF22553

Dallas, if you really want an M1 Carbine, you can always go for one from Fulton Armory.:) They are proud of their products! About twice the price of a new Mini-14, but their products are all new parts built to USGI specs as I understand things to be. Built to order.

I have a USGI M1 Carbine, circa 1944, that shoots wonderfully. I love shooting it, just don't want to wear it out.

I know the new Inland carbines are being produced and go for about $1,000. But as I understand it, not all the parts are interchangeable with USGI parts.

Dallas53 likes this.
  20. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

I own a Chiappa made 92 Winchester that is as nice a rifle as one could want, of course they retail for $1300 bucks, ( I have a safe full of 73, 76, 92 Winchesters mostly SRC) so I ordered one of their Marlin 69 clones in .22 LR. The rifle is due in this week and I will report back on my findings.
    I looked at the .22 M1 Carbine and chose not to buy because of the plastic, I collect Carbines and was excited about a rimfire look a like and was disappointed.
    I have shot a few of their center fire rifles and was quite impressed, their 92 has parts interchange with my genuine Winchester’s.

Dallas53 likes this.