Cheytac .408 sniper system - Any Civilian Models?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by StandoffTiger63, Mar 4, 2011.

1. StandoffTiger63

StandoffTiger63 New Member

[​IMG]

Hey everyone,

Recently saw on the Military Channel the "Top 10" they do for various weapons and technologies of the military and this episode was on sniper rifles and systems. The number one spot, the cheytac .408 sniper system, was something I've never heard of before and was immediatley interested.
    It boasts the firepower of a .50 cal but claims it is more accurate at longer distances then the popular Baretta .50 cal sniper rifle.

I think the rifle is brand new and I've done some research and heard the special round is for military only and I think it might be illegal to own this rifle unless your apart of the company or a active serviceman.

Does anyone have any information on a civilian model or does anyone actually know the legal issues with this rifle?

I hear it goes around 10k in America so it's definatley the Lamborghini of sniper rifles but if anyone has any information I'd be real curious to learn more about this sniper system.

Heres the wikipedia link for anyone interested: CheyTac Intervention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A civilian model exists, but the software that makes the system so effective is available, but it's SEVERLY lacking from the military version.

Yes, the Cheytac Intervention is one hell of a long range tactical system, but as a civilian you can not buy the "Intervention" package. You can get something close, but it's going to cost you.

What, specifically, do you want to know?

JD

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

While Cheytac makes a nice weapon system,but why would you want to spend 10k on a specialty type rifle if you have no use for it?

If the look of the weapon is what got you looking,save about $8500 and look at a Savage BAS-K in 300WM or 338 Lapua.

Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Yep, it's a serious round!

5. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Who cares about cost when you have the itch.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

that has got to be one of the ugliest rifles ive ever seen. they had to have gone waaaay out of their way and actually spent money to research how to make it that ugly

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Haven't seen the ballistics of the round, or the world record it holds, have you? ;)

Trust me brother. The full blown Cheytac Intervention is THE STANDARD right now for a "Long Range Tactical Solution" Shooting. Well, that and the World Record Grouping it holds at over 2400 yards. :rolleyes:

PS - 1760 is ONE MILE. :eek:

8. StandoffTiger63

StandoffTiger63 New Member

I pretty much wanted to know if there was a civilian model and if it was worth the purchase. From what you guys seem to be saying, by not being able to purchase the special .408, your basically paying for the body of a ferrari without the engine.

@JonM
    I'm not really sure how "ugly" the gun is, if you ask me it looks like a rail gun from some sort of video game. I'm sure all of the unique physical features you call ugly are just something you haven't seen before that all works together to make it a ground-breaking weapons system.

I wonder how many people thought the M16 was ugly before it was named the leader in assault rifle technology...

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Ugly is good. Just look at the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Or the mini...:p

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

The mini, the high pointe. Hell they may be ugly but they get the job done.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

im just speaking of the aesthetics lol. its freekin ugly in grotesque quasimodo's child sorta way.

and the A10 is not an ugly aircraft :)

wasnt there a guy a few months back in the forums shooting 2" groups at 1000yds with a mini-14?? i think the cheytac guys need to consult with him they could done it cheaper.

seriously tho to the OP where ya gonna get ammo?? even reloading 40cal rifle bullets cant be cheap.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ammo cost:

198 Round Can .408 CheyTac 305gr Ammunition $1,450.00
    198 Round Can .408 CheyTac 419gr Military Match Ammunition $1,533.00
    198 Round Can .408 CheyTac 419gr Tactical Ammunition $1,450.00
    198 Round Can .408 THOR 419gr Tactical Ammunition $1,450.00

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

holy sht!!!!! 7.74$ a pop!!!

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Personally I think that weapon is a thing of ultimate beauty. But when viewing it, I am picturing what I could do with a weapon system like that, given the need and the right battlefield conditions.

Chey-Tac is a company that is being torn apart from the inside, which is too bad, because the great minds that invented this monster are truly some of the best in the business.

The biggest problem is that the brass, the bullets, the software. All of it. It's all proprietary. You buy their weapon, then you have to buy their ammo to feed it. The software is only available from their dealers and it's gun/caliber specific based on application.

It's to bad really because they have the "Tactical Long Range" community on a string.

16. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I want one! Talk about packing a punch! :eek:

17. lilquiz

lilquiz New Member

Sorry ,but I cannot recall when the SHTF and ppl are falling over with no direction of where the shot came from. If I wondered how "Pretty" the rifle was that made us scramble for cover.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

there is liekly only a handful of peeps in the world that can put that round and rifle into use at its full potential. even with gear that "helps" the shooter its not just lining up a xhair and yanking the trigger.

its a tool that will help a superb shooter but liekly do jack for your average shlub.

chuck yeager put it the best "it is the man not the machine"

that isnt saying that their round and rifle arent a technological wonder. just buying one isnt going to make you into vasily zaitsev or carlos hathcock.

19. triggerman770

triggerman770 New Member

cost

7.74 per round isn't bad. the bullet is turned in a cnc lathe has a ballistic co-efficient of.93(1.0 is perfect). .338 Lapua made by Lapua was 99.00 per 10 on sale at Midway, that's 10buck per and won't shoot half as far