Chevy Engineers Caught Street Racing Corvettes

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by alsaqr, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:43 PM.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

120 in a 45 mph zone is somewhat serious. Cars were towed and later picked up by GM:

"The two General Motors engineers who were arrested after allegedly street racing two 2020 Chevrolet C8 Corvette Stingrays in Bowling Green, Kentucky, will surely tell you the same.

Alexander Thim, 27, of West Bloomfield, and Mark Derkatz, 30, of Windsor, Ontario, were clocked by Kentucky state troopers Wednesday night going 120 mph and 100 mph, respectively, in a 45-mph zone, according to
    Automobile Magazine."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/2-...corvettes/ar-BBYUtba?li=BBnbcA1&OCID=AVRES000

kfox75, primer1 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  2. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Now that's funny right there.

3. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Well why not? That's where most people race, so what's the BIG deal?

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

OEM's take very seriously safe driving of company vehicles. I have been trained by profession drivers, have to take an annual course just to drive an M Plate (test vehicle) on city streets. Have to take additional tests just to drive on a test track, with each vehicle application requiring additional training and testing. Deep pocket theory.

AZdave, kfox75 and primer1 like this.
  5. SGWGunsmith

Bunch of "stuffed shirts". [​IMG]

bluez, Mister Dave and OLD Ron like this.
  6. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

Two more getting their unemployment insurance checks.
    Hard way to get on the Gubermint Gravy Train.

alsaqr likes this.
  7. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

8. SGWGunsmith

Not for long I'll bet. If they're good engineers, they'll both have another job in a "heartbeat".
    Just consider all the FREE advertising from the news media that Chevy got from those two innovative engineers!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM
  9. SGWGunsmith

Blows the snot outta the old commercial song, "See the USA in your Chevrolet" when the USA looks like nothing but a BLUR! [​IMG]

OLD Ron and winds-of-change like this.
  10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Possibly... Reaching OEM's is the top of the heep. They may not reach that high again. No OEM wants that kind of publicity. It will backfire in front of a jury.

kfox75 likes this.
  11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I’m sure there are serious consequences but it is a bit funny. Me and my kids toured the Corvette factory. I would hate to do my job with tourists coming through watching me.

alsaqr likes this.
  12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope they get to spend a couple of weeks (at least) in a jail cell.
    There is no excuse for that type of conduct, and it should be punished harshly.

winds-of-change likes this.
  13. SGWGunsmith

Could be why you're NOT a judge! :)

OLD Ron and austin92 like this.
  14. locutus

If you ever have the misfortune of pulling a couple of small, dead bodies out of a car because some arse-whole was "showing off" in his "macho-muscle car," you might change your point of view.

About the second or third time you do it, your first inclination will be to shoot the sumnabeetch.

Leaving a widow and a couple of children without a father and husband is too high of a price to pay for some scumbag's "bragging rights."

primer1, kfox75, JTJ and 2 others like this.
  15. SGWGunsmith

No, never had that misfortune and I hope it never crosses my path. The closest I've come to an extreme tragedy was when a 25 year old girl was texting, crossed the centerline and hit the side of a Ford F-350 pickup truck, pealing off the drivers door. She never made it home that night.

Tragedy can strike in many forms, not just from muscle cars.

primer1 and kfox75 like this.
  16. locutus

Now imagine the feeling if she had been racing at 90-100 MPH and killed everyone in the truck as well as herself????

When I was a brand new rookie, I tended to cut a little slack for the street racers. Shucks, boyz will be boyz, after all.

It didn't take very long on the street to get disabused of that notion.:(

kfox75 likes this.
  17. SGWGunsmith

But, that DIDN'T happen! Fantasizing about what could have been serves no purpose, or.....what if two cars were racing down the road at 100 MPH and nothing happened?
    That's been done countless times.

18. locutus

Justify it in your own mind if you wish. I can't!

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I was an EMT-P back in the day, too. Yes, some nights after a run I had trouble falling asleep.

kfox75 likes this.
  20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Active Member

It's all fun and games until it ain't.

I get wanting to have fun with your friends and I get why people like to race. I like fast cars too after all. That's not an excuse for putting other people at risk though. There's a right way to do things, and a wrong way. These two engineers picked the wrong way.

kfox75 likes this.