chenging shooting ranges

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by lonewolf101, Dec 3, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Do you think that this range I want to join should be able to tell me that I have to be a member of the NRA before I join?.The range I go to now is about 37 miles 1 way! the new 1 alot closer to me.

2. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Their range - their rules...it's as simple as that.
    Aren't you a member of the NRA already as a gun owning American?
    Join.
    If nothing else, you'll have a nice magazine subscription.

eta: Cheng is a common name in China.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

yeah the only reason I'm a member is because membership is a christmas gift from my step dad every year. I like the magazine.

4. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

thats one thing to look foward to the magizine I gotta call today.

5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Sounds more to me like extortion. Join up or else beat it. :(

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Their sandbox, their rules.

Join the NRA and your mail box will rarely be empty. It does not matter how much you give...just a membership or an extra donation...you'll simply get more and more junk mail from NRA. How much of your membership fee goes to sending you mail asking for more money?

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Guys, I would just buy an enjoyable magazine subscription (American Rifleman) and move on with my life. I must throw away 500 pounds of junk mail a year, and that's a conservative estimation, and it's a very small fraction, minuscule really, that comes from the NRA. the rest is from local chain stores and car dealerships.

And I only get about one or two emails a week from the NRA, that's nothing compared to the thread subscription notices from this site. I'll figure out how to stop that one day.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I belong to a range that has that requirement. We have it for a reason- politics aside.

Any of you ever been involved in serving on the board of an association? Figured out how much dues had to be to cover expenses? One of the big expenses is liability insurance. We get a major break on rates by being an NRA affiliated association.

We are a non-profit corporation, just had to raise membership to $150 per year. Would be double that except for the affiliation.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wow, had no idea it could be like that.

10. coolsteve

coolsteve New Member

Same with my gun club. The NRA has all kinds of benefits for affiliated clubs/ranges. But club/range members have to be NRA members as well for their group to qualify for them.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

To you and c3, is the insurance through NRA then? I just want to make sure I understand.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Another factor is funding. The FNRA raises money for the shooting sports and a club isnt eligible for funds if it is not affiliated.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trip- through a group available only to NRA affiliated associations.

14. readygirl

readygirl New Member

You should already be a member of the NRA anyhow, they are our voice in DC, and it was just a year ago we kept the 2nd amendment in tact by 1 vote at the supreme court, does anybody remmember that .....

15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I know nothing about the NRA affiliated insurance... But, I was part of an organization that used the "national affiliation" insurance, that is until I started researching the insurance. I even called the underwriter to review the policy. For all practical purposes, we had ZERO insurance. Once I brought all my research up to the rest of the board, the club president (an attorney) resigned, and the club VP (successful business owner) resigned. Neither one wanted to have any potential personal liability in case of an actual incident. In subsequent conversations with the underwriter, I asked him about buying insurance we thought we had, he said, "do you have any idea how much that insurance would cost? Why do think all those conditional clauses are in place?"

I learned a lot about insurance, conditionals, and clauses from that research.

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I don't mean to bash the NRA, even though it may look like it :)

Supreme court is not going to make a decision one way or the other based on any work the NRA does. The only hope we have is making sure our legislature never forgets the 2nd amendment... especially when the Senate has to vote on the President's selection for SCOTUS members.