Cheek Weld

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Flatman6, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

I'm having a very hard time obtaining a proper cheek weld on my AR with headphones on. Do I need to find another option for ear protection, or perhaps risers for my optic. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Have you tried some of the lower profile ear muffs?

3. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

Yeah, I bought a pair last week. Unfortunately, while it did seem to help a little, they would still lose their seal around my ear when I would prepare to fire. It seems to be the bottom of the earmuffs are hitting the stock when I get down on the rifle.

ForumRunner_20120705_112059.jpg

This is the setup I'm using right now. Risers maybe?

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Is your head upright or slanted toward the left or right?

5. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

I always try keep it as vertical as possible. Maybe my ears are too low on my head...lol.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

sounds like maybe you need taller scope mounts if your having to get that low on it .

7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

^ good point

8. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

Any recommendations on a good product to buy?

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Red dot or magnified?

10. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

The one I'm using is magnified.

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

How much magnification are you wanting? Variable or fixed?

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Flatman,

I prefer the Peltor Tactical 6 Ear Muffs. They are electronic so you can hear normal range commands but shut down at the specific decibel level. And they also and have contoured Side Designed Ear Muffs for rifle shooting. I have two pairs and have used them for years on rifles including M-14, M-16, AR-15, bolt guns and all. You might want to take a look at them.
    Another issue is that people think ear protection that goes in your ears are totally safe when they are not. The Bones on your head around your ears pick up vibration and sound just the same. The reason I can prove that is when on SWAT 16+ years we used bone mikes that were in contact with the bone on your head in front of your ears. We could actually whisper to each other and could hear through the bone just as well as through the ear canal. Just some insight when selecting protection.:D Also in the hot weather when we sweat the seals on the muffs and our head also have a tendency to break seal more easily at this time of year. You can also always double up with a set of plugs and muffs which I do at the academy since the overhead and walls are concrete and block!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  13. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Very good poiint. I usually wear my electronic muffs, with another set of low DB rated plugs. Even with the dampening from the muffs, my ears are still ringing after a day of shooting.

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

A 2nd for Peltor. I've been using my pair for quite some time.

15. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

+3 for Peltor,, had mine for a few years and love em.. It nice to be able to hear range commands and shoot without muff going on and off constantly. And as Sniper said they are very low profile.

16. Flatman6

Flatman6 New Member

Sound like I'm going to be getting some peltors. Any particular model or recommended places to get them? Thanks to all who have replied, you've been a big help.

17. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Tactical Sport