Cheek rests?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TheDaggle, Feb 15, 2011.

1. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I have a new rifle on my hands with a scope about an inch and a half higher than my eye. I've looked around a bit, and haven't seen many different options. The two that seem the best right now are a lace-on cheek pad like the one blackhawk offers, or one of the Karsten adjustables. I'm leaning toward the Karsten right now, because I can set it precisely to my cheek and the reviews are terrific, but I'm hesitant to drill holes through my darling little stock :eek:...
    Does anyone have any experience with either the lace-ons or the Karstens? Any suggestions aside from these two?

2. oneeyedmac

oneeyedmac New Member

I've used several of the Karstens and a lace on or two and I prefer the Karsten Cheek Piece for the adjustability. They send excellent instructions along with Karsten's phone number so you can talk to him if you have questions or want guidance.

Of course foam padding with electrical tape wrapped around it works too...

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I have two of the Karstens and they were EASY to install. The first time, it's pretty unnerving drilling holes through your stock.

I replaced one of the stocks, so I now have a stock with a cheekpiece just sitting there, if you're interested.

It's this one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

1. learn to shoot without one;
    2. get low profile scope mounts to get the scope down a little more;
    3. buy a new stock with the cheek piece already intact.

5. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

suh-weet vtr!

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Thanks, this is her now:
    [​IMG]but actually an SPS.

7. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

That's one bad rifle Lon. Who made the stock?

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Bell and Carlson. Thanks.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have several of the Desert Warrior Product cheek rests/risers (Like the Karstens) and they are great. The strap on pads never work for me. Not stable enough.

10. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

:D

is the SPS a variant, or a predecessor of the VTR? the VTR's stock looks identical to the 1st pic you posted (except, I THINK, it was green w/black foregrip in the triangle shaped piece on the left and right of the forestock)

THAT BRINGS A TEAR TO ME EYYYYYYEEEEEEE!

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

No, not a variant, it's a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .243.