Checking empty pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 11Handicap, Jan 29, 2012.

1. 11Handicap

11Handicap New Member

I noticed a few shooters at the range doing a routine to clear there weapon after shooting. They would drop the magazine, rack the slide a few times and dry fire the weapon down range just to be sure. Then open the action and do visual. Is this typical and good practice. I am considering copying it, as a means of being sure the weapon is empty and clear. These were pretty good shooters, not cowboys and appeared to be very safety conscious as I am.

2. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I don't normally dry fire mine, but I do everything else every time I pick up a firearm unless I actually want it to be loaded. I do the same before putting one down as well even if I checked it when I picked it up and know I didn't load it. Just good practice and it could save a life.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Drop mag, pull side to the rear, visually check.

It's so much easier and saves a little wear and tear. For some guns, like the 1911, it's not recommended to let the slide slam home on an empty chamber, and on others like rim fires, it's generally not a good idea to dry fire too often.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I dont feel the need to rack the slide several times and dry fire it. I always drop the mag and pull the slide back to eject the chambered round "if i didnt finish the mag",then i look inside the chamber to visually see its empty. Safety comes first so you clear your firearm the way that your comfotable with.

5. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Why do we have two of these threads going back to back?

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Pruned the other thread. 11 H, please post one at a time, wait for the answers.

7. RhettButler

RhettButler New Member

MrWray has good advice. Drop, rack with visual. But, I do pull the trigger on my Glocks as they are safely aimed. If the trigger is forward there's a cartridge in the chamber, conversely if the trigger isn't set, the pistol needs to be charged to fire.

8. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Absolutely, I follow the same routine everytime, drop mag, pull slide back, visually check. Except dry firing or racking it back and forth.(I know some weapons supposed to be fine, but cut my teeth on revolvers so old habits die hard) which is the point,, make clearing a routine, will become second nature. Hell my 10yr.old will just look at me sideways if I tried to hand him a gun he didn't see me clear himself.. then will clear it himself,,, before and after. I even tried to test him once and left a dummy round in and proudly report that he caught it immediately. And until I told him it was a test, was really disappointed in ME.

9. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Exactly. There is no such thing as "to safe". I don't care if you want to check your firearm 100 times before putting in away. I would much rather you do that than harm yourself or anyone else.

10. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

The IDPA way.

Unload

Show me empty

Slide down, hammer down

Holster.

11. RhettButler

RhettButler New Member

My daughter was 4, 18 years ago. She and her friends loved playing in the bed of my pickup. One of my proudest recollections is when she made the boys and girls get out of the truck bed; then, came and found me to point out a spent .22 cartridge.

Go Eddie Eagle !!!

12. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Love it,,, that means someone( probably dad &mom) had taught her to be safe around guns/ammo,,,even at four, wow. Ps kudos on her stepping up and being a leader keeping everyone safe,awesome. ...

13. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Not only did she have the smarts to recognize it and bring it to an adults attention, but she took action to ensure the safety of others around her. Awesome. It that doesn't deserve and extra cookie after dinner, nothing does.

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thats a good intelligent girl right there

15. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

My dad is retired cop and he has 3 revolvers in the house. He now works at my neighbors liquor store and conceal carries his 6 shot to work all the time. When ever he gets home he opens the cylinder, dumps out 6 bullets, counts the 6 bullets out loud then takes the gun a dry fires it to the ground 10 times... I get so annoyed with this u have no idea... I tell him all the time "what is an extra rd magically going to appear in and already checked empty cylinder? U don't see me dry fire my ar15 30 times cuz I took a 30rd clip off do u?

Ik this is safe practice buts it's way over kill to me. Semi autos are good to do this just incase u didn't see the bullet in the chamber or something and u hand the gun off.

I asked my dad to show me his guns when I was really young and knew where he keeps them my whole childhood. But I never go and play with them on my own cuz i knew if I asked with him he would let me see them.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

This happened to me. I practice draw and fire every night before going to bed with an empty cylinder. One night I was on the phone, and so decided to simply practice my trigger pull. I unloaded my gun, pointed it towards the wall, took aim and pulled the trigger five times. Taking a squeeze on the trigger for the sixth time, I noticed something strange out of the corner of my eye- five rounds sitting on top of the dresser.

Disaster narrowly avoided. A smith and wesson revolver is safe to dry fire, the manufacturer says so. But the manufacturer can not be held liable for stupidity or carelessness.

I was being careless, and trying to multitask by practicing my trigger pull while on the phone. I still kick myself, and now I empty the gun, have my wife double check it, and do my nightly drill in another room entirely away from the ammo.

I don't even want snap caps. S&W says it's okay to dry fire my gun, therefore I don't want anything at all in the cylinder. It may be a minimal risk, but I don't want to take the chance of a mix up.

And I for damn sure don't do it while distracted anymore.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

There are only a select few people that i fully trust my life to, and i mean select. Whenever the SHTF,doors got kicked in, and all you know is that there are armed occupants inside ,they were right there beside me when others wouldnt even walk up the steps. They are highly proficient with firearms and Even if they were to hand me a firearm that was unloaded, i still check it again for my own sake.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

You can never check it enough IMO. I work on draw and aim techniques every night at the house. I keep my gun in the nightstand beside the bed and the magazine is full. There is not one in the pipe and the only other person in the house is my wife who would never touch the gun (until she can properly learn to handle it after she has the baby) but I still check the chamber two or three times before doing anything. It only takes one mistake...

19. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Seems like these folks have potentially a dangerous habit.

Pulling the trigger seems like a really dangerous way to see if a gun is loaded, even if the gun is pointed down range.:(

A skilled and thorough visual check should suffice.

During cease fire, the local range here requires a yellow plastic chamber flag be placed in the open actions. The flags make it easy for the RSO to do a quick visual before allowing folks down range.

20. RhettButler

RhettButler New Member

And don't get between her and a 4" S&W Mdl 15, less you're a quarter mile away. Then, be careful.

Thanks... She ended up not stupid. She's the one I gave my ~1990's Buckmark.