Checkered wood and t-grips for a j-frame

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by magnumman, Sep 23, 2013.

1. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I have had my s&w 442 for a couple of years and really like the gun. It came with the rubber uncle mikes boot grips. They are fairly comfortable in hand. However I just placed an order for some "classic" wood grips on midway. not only do I like the look of wood grips on a revolver, I also think the smaller grips will make the gun better for cc since they do not grab clothing and are smaller than my boot grips. I know they won't do anything for recoil but then again this gun is going to be snappy with any grips that I put on it.

I have also been looking at Tyler t- grips as well. They seem like they could help with control. I am planning on trying it without the t-grips before I spend the money on them. Have any of you gone this route with your snub? If so, let me know what your thoughts are on this set up.

2. headhunter

headhunter Member

I own a couple of J frames . The 3" .357 , I've been content with the factory grip. The 63 an old 4" wears a pair of Pachmier(sp?)"gripper" grips with the finger grooves and they work well for hunting and not badly when I pressed it into use for shooting targets. My 36 wears a pair of Herritt -I think they were called "shooting stars" that extend the grip about 3/4" beyond the frame, These wooden grips get you on target faster and do reduce the recoil. They are a bit harder to hide ,but the effort is worth it..

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Wood grips can help with recoil. If you grip the pistol properly (70% weak 30% strong) it should rock in your hand so you can easily cock the gun. When you pull back on the hammer the gun will return to a shooting position.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Subbing for pics later on. I also, am a big fan of wood grips on wheel guns. However, my S&W 66 wears Pachmayer grips, simply for recoil absorption. Also, they were $10 and I don't yet feel like shelling out $90 ish for a nice set of wood grips.

Here's my current grip setup.

image-2786219071.jpg

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Well they are on back order until ~10/16 so pics won't be up for a little while. These are actually a laminate grips that look to have a veneer and walnut finish. They are factory replacements. The main reason that I jumped on them is that they are 28 bucks.

At my lgs, they have a box of grips, mags, and holsters that people gave them with trade-ins. You can usually get whatever you want for $10. They haven't had any j frame grips with the s&w medallion since I have been goin there so I decided to order something.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Usually I can find the wood grips I want for $35 or less.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I always keep the original grips but they come off as soon as I purchase.
    If I'm looking for wood I go to numrich. They carry originals.

Attached Files:

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I usually find nice factory grips for ruger revolvers at numrich. It's like when a gun maker quits making a grip numrich ends up with all the left over grips.

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

The stock wood grips on my Model 36 look great and conceal well. That said, they're miserable to shoot. Have a T-Grip on order myself. In the meantime, got a set of boot grips for the J. They're not any longer, but are a little thicker and make shooting a lot less painful.

10. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Let me know how your your dealings with Tyler end up. I know that there are reports all Over the Internet of problems after management change. Those seem to be from a couple of years ago.

11. magnumman

magnumman New Member

The mail man was good to me today. Here they are....

image-4264817540.jpg

image-4267868746.jpg

I couldn't be more happy with the look. Also I am able to get more of my hand on the gun. Now I just have to see how well I can shoot with them.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Excellent! Looks nice man!

13. T grips are good

The biggest problem with the S&W 'magna' style grips, is the knuckle of the middle finger gets beat silly if the ammo used generates enough recoil. (Usually not too bad with wadcutters.) The Tyler 'T-grip' removes this problem by moving that knuckle out of the way.

The 'T-grip' also gives a bit more grip area upon which to clutch when shooting. I rather like them, especially for concealment purposes. I also find them aesthetically pleasing, especially for older revolvers.

I've ordered several 'T-grips' from Tyler in the past couple years. Normally, they don't show up in the mail for six weeks or so, but they always get here.

Here are a couple of my revolvers utilizing the devices.

Attached Files:

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

No problems here. Got my T-grip within the 7-10 days outlined on the order form. The only inconvenience is you can't order off the website with a credit card. You have to print the order page, fill it out and send it with a check via snail mail. That aside, I have no complaints.

15. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Thanks Donn. I think I'm going to shoot it for a while without the T-grips and see how it feels before I make a decision but I really appreciate the response.

Montgomery, those are some great looking guns. I love seeing old wheel guns that are actually dressed like old wheel guns. I know what you are saying about the middle knuckle. My model 10 beats up the right hand a little bit. I am sure this 442 will do the same, on the other hand it is a carry gun so I want to keep the dimensions and weight to a minimum, but the T-grips seem like a worthwhile trade off.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I believe the owner passed away, and one of his sons has taken over. Delivery is a little slow now, but you will get what you order.

17. LeMat

LeMat New Member

I've tried everything - everything grip wise on the J frame. I always, always end up with the Tyler T......

[​IMG]

18. moneybagzz

moneybagzz New Member

How much u want for that j frame

19. LeMat

LeMat New Member

Sorry, its not for sale. :)

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Y'all making me want to go pick up a model 36 just to put a T Grip on.