Check out this crazy thing!

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Scratchammo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

the best idea at the time for a multi-shot pistol.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Did it work better as a lead dispenser or a hand grenade?

4. danf_fl

Start with the locking mechanism forward. The theory was that the bullet behind was to stop spark from igniting others in the rear.
    Shoot the most forward first, then move the locking mechanism back one slot.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

boy I'll bet the powder on that last shot was packed tight by the time it was fired.

6. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Lol I bet it was. This thing is like an early version of the metal storm prototype. I'd like to try this with a small cannon(from a distance of course).

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Some kind of a long string to trigger the cannon perhaps? I've thought about it myself, just figured if it was a good idea then someone else would have beat me to it.

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I used speaker wire & a car battery but I also like the string idea.

I bet Orangello likes your signature :D

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Never seen a Walch revolver, have you? This was a 12 shot ball and cap. Each charge hole had 2 nipples. One nipple ignited the front charge, the second the rear charge. So 6 charge holes, 12 shots. Oh- it did had 2 real skinny hammers. first trigger pull dropped hammer for front charge, second pull the rear charge.

Check your library for an out of print book called Firearms Curiosa by Winant. There are more weird guns between those covers than I have ever seen- including the superposed load guns.

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

That thing looks weird. So it's relatively safe to fire superposed?

11. danf_fl

I don't think I would attempt to shoot it.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Relatively safe? HELL NO! One of the big reasons these never caught on. A jet of hot gas blowing back past the bullet behind would light up the next round- anddanextanddanextanddanextanddanext, etc.

BTW, here is an illustration and discussion about a couple of the Walch revolvers- 10 and 12-shot Walch Navy Model Revolver

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Very probable a gap would do it. One way to find out.

14. frankthepirate

frankthepirate New Member

OMG I want one! Another fun toy is the "Duckfoot pistol" this thing had four or more barrels that fire at once!

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

That duckfoot is awesome!

16. firelooker

firelooker New Member

I guess you'd have to make dang sure you fired the front load first, very interesting idea never heard of anything like this before.

17. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'll tell y'all what, if I ever come across some good bar stock I'll take a few measurements, drill a few holes, & let y'all know how well/crappy it does.

18. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I found my old homemade piece, this is a .52 caliber smooth bore that can launch a soft lead ball through a fence post. The grips are long gone. I figure I'd add another touch hole & port fire it a little.

Attached Files:

19. firelooker

firelooker New Member

Nice lookin' piece you got there.