Check it out - New Enfield NO5 MKI

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Capybara, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Hi all:

Wow, my second Enfield in less than a month, hope this isn't like a case of Mosinitis. Bought from a fellow Calgunner, nice guy, rifle looked like a good deal and will be fun to shoot. To me, this rifle has just the right amount of wear. The more C&Rs I own, the less I like my "perfect" ones and the more I dig the ones with some honest wear like this one. 1947 ROF (F), non-matching, "Jungle Carbine". I don't know a lot about the history of these, other than the most obvious so I would appreciate any feedback or comments from our Enfield experts. I like my M44s better than my 91/30s so the idea of carbine Enfield is appealing to me. It is a four digit serial, I just got rid of the last two numbers and yes, I know I am paranoid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dogngun

dogngun New Member

I have bought 1 new rifle in the last 10 years or more...I really like the older veterans that have seen it all and have the dings and scrapes to prove it. It is very surprising how many of them are still excellent shooters.

Enfields can really get you hooked. The British tended to hold on to their military firearms and improve them over the decades rather than go for totally new designs-the Brown Bess and SMLE being 2 examples.

So there are MANY variations of the Enfield rifle, different eras and wars and markings and manufacturers and even countries that made them. I must have had a dozen of them over the last 40 years, and have NEVER had a bad shooting Lee Enfield, even the one with the ringed barrel did far better than I ever expected. FWIW, get a Lee loader kit for .303 Brit, and make some cheap handloads...you will REALLY get hooked then...;)

Enjoy it...it's a great looking No.5!

3. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

These are the most impressive pig rifle ever,10 shot mag and very easy to sight up on and pack a punch to boot.

These were used by our Australian Diggers in New Guinea and the islands because of their compactness in jungle warfare and the mag capacity which gave them great firepower.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

All I can say is it was built in the Royal Ordinance Factory in Fazakerley in May of 1947 & it`s not a bad looking old No5, nice find !..............

5. Capybara

Capybara New Member

I am happy with it, good price and it has a lot of character.

6. mag318

mag318 Member

Jungle carbines are definitely one of the coolest Enfields and have always been popular. Nice examples bring big bucks now, plus they are fun to shoot. They are really collectable now and are good investments.

Attached Files:

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member