Cheapie 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Benning Boy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Gun show in two weeks. I'll have about $250.

I want a 9mm to get in touch with my feminine side (Okay, the ammo is cheaper).

I'm contemplating a Hmphhhahura.

Okay, a Hi Point.

If I could wrangle another hundy, I'd consider a MAC clone, but it looks like $250.

Flame me.

2. Moss99

Moss99 New Member

Did you just throw up in your mouth a little bit? :)

Why don't you use the 250 for ammo?

3. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster New Member

should have saved the money and got a better more respectable firearm, or used it to buy ammo.... or bought a shotgun...or hell really anything other than what you did!:p

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You don't want a hi-point. Sure, it's cheap and maybe even functional, but you really don't want a hi-point.

You'll take it out and shoot it a few times and realize how bulky and ugly they are and all the people at the range will be sayin, "hey, how did you get that black&decker to shoot ammo?"

You'll be unhappy with your purchase before you even leave the building.

Buy ammunition, buy a .22, buy a new knife, get a taser,but get something you'll be happy with.

Otherwise, pitch in another $50 and get a ruger 9mm. :)

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I have an @$$load of .22 ammo, but ditched my .22 rifle.

Should I consider a .22 rifle, for the pure joy of shooting all day, since I have no other practical use for it, or a .22 pistol, maybe as a back up?

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have four .22 pistols and love them all. Find a nice Ruger Mk II or III and you will not regret it...

9. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i think the mid priced .22lr pistol is a way better idea than the cheapo 9mm.

and talk about cheap ammo, you could plink all day with a .22 for 10 or 15 bucks.

that's what i use mine for.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a Bersa Thunder .380 and loved it. Bersa makes a quality inexpensive pistol. How about a Bersa 9 and how much do they cost? Anybody have any experience with them?

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I believe SGT-MILLER has shown some good stuff on the Hi-Points. Don't give into elitism. The Hi-Points are functional and affordable. They are not pretty or sleek. They have gotten a bad rap based on myth and pride. Do you buy cars based solely on looks? If you do, then stay away from the Hi-Point. If you want an affordable and functional pistol backed by great customer service that is built in the USA (Ohio), then don't think twice about a Hi-Point.
    You are buying a plinker, not a carry piece for goodness sakes.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

What about a 9mm short? For about $250, you could order a CZ82 from those CDNN guys in TX. Rep points: small enough for carry, holds 12+1, cheeeeeeeeeap ammo, if it was gonna blow up it probably would've done it already (surplus).

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If you are talking about those CZ's that were police issue in Europe, I saw Cabela's had them at $199.

9x18 Makarov. Czech police issue.

14. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i had a bersa thunder 380 never had a problem with it actually i liked it alot but a burglar liked it a little more, as for hi-point theres nothing wrong with them had a 380 and a 9mm never used them for self defense but they were fun shooting and cheap to buy and own.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

BB do you sit down to pee?????

Do you own a real handgun?

Have you taken it apart?

Does it look like this????

C9andJHP45leftside.jpg

C9 & JHP45

C9andJHP45rightside.jpg

C9 & JHP45

C9frameandslide.jpg

C9 frame & slide

* slapping sounds *

SNAP OUT OF IT BENNING!!!

* crying *

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The CZ 82 is an excellent choice Orangello! 9mm Makarov is a good round and it's still inexpensive.

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Canebrake Posted:
    ...but yet they shoot like this at 50 yards:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnHSWFnBkrE"]YouTube - Challenge Entry: Hi-Point C9 (9x19mm)[/ame]

...and they seem to function just fine as shown by this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mdbMB6UYM"]YouTube - C9 Shooting Demo[/ame]

...and this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96CyDvPbnOQ"]YouTube - Hi Point C9 Range Visit[/ame]

For the record, I am sitting at over 1500 rounds through mine (I think, it's hard to keep track...lol). The total amount of malfunctions I have had during those 1500 + rounds, I can count on one hand.

Benning Boy, if you want any REAL advice on the Hi-Point, let me know, and I'll help you out in any way I can.

If the Hi-Point isn't for you, a good thing to check out would be the surplus market. Tons of excellent firearms there for good prices.

CZ-82
    Tokarev TT
    CZ-52
    SIG P6 (a GREAT deal!!!!!!)

...or you can check out some older revolvers like the S&W Model 10 or Model 64, which are both very reliable wheel guns.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll find something that will work great for you.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Maybe you could look around for a used Argentine Hi-Power (FM)? I have bought a few for $175-$300 and they are excellent. May not be had for your $250, but they won't be much more than that and will last a lifetime.

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Walther P22. Shoot it all day with no jams. Functions like a regular semi.

20. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member