Cheapest ammunition?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by thesoulution22, Oct 19, 2013.

1. thesoulution22

thesoulution22 New Member

I am going to purchase my first handgun, an was wondering what pistol caliber would be the best price wise. Like, what pistol ammunition is easily found and not to bad on my wallet, I am trying to decide between .22 and 9mm, I am leaning towards 9mm because it seams to be less sought after then .22 ammo, any opinions?

2. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Right now 9mm is MUCH easier to find. 6 months from now, that will most likely be a different story. As far as cheapest, 22 is still cheaper per round than 9mm. You can narrow that gap if you start reloading, but you would be hard pressed to make it cheaper than 22.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

.22 LR is NORMALLY cheaper and easier to find. The past 9 months have not been normal.

I just checked prices over at Bass Pro. Remington 22 LR is $2.49/ 50 rds. Remington 9mm Parabellum is $15.99/ 50 rds.

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Yeah, if you are going to buy a gun strictly for target shooting. 22 is the way to go. If you want to defend yourself with it. 9mm is probably your cheapest route.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Agreed. 100%

6. beretta9988

beretta9988 New Member

Another alternative is a .40 cal. Little more expensive than 9mm but much easier to find. Walmart, local GS and cabelas in my area seem to have 40 in stock more than 9mm. Local GS lifted there limit on .40 but not on 9mm.

7. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

9mm is the cheapest besides .22 lr.

8. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Lazy, indecisive ;) way out of the problem: Buy a CZ75 series pistol in 9mm. When .22 ammo starts becoming somewhat common again, buy the CZ Kadet kit (.22LR). High quality way to have it both ways.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I asked the same sort of questions while I was waiting for my permit to come through.

I specifically asked that; if the 9mm ammo is so popular because more people have them, wouldn't the ammo become scarce, and thus expensive, if anything happened that caused people to need ammunition? I was assured up, down, and sideways that one would always be able to find 9 mm on the shelves, even at Ma & Pa's general store in Podunk.

Man plans and God laughs.

I bought a 9mm Glock because I was able shoot it, if not well, at least better than the larger calibers, and because it was ubiquitous, Magazines and parts would always be available.

If I were to do it again, I'd get a .40 Glock because you can get a 9mm barrel for it and then be able to use whichever caliber was available and/or cheaper. It doesn't work the other way around. You can't put a .40 caliber barrel on a 9 mm frame. There are .22 conversions for Glock frames too, but they're picky on ammo and cost as much as a .22lr pistol.

There are other brands with pistols specifically designed for interchangeable calibers. I don't know what they are. They've a lower market share and probably cost more.

My point is that in uncertain times, it is good to be flexible.

11. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

22 is and always will be THE CHEAPEST. there is a difference between price and availability. even at the absolute MOST ridiculous level of 22 price gouging, the price was only starting to approach the price of 9mm.

the 22 prob is temporary. however, whenever you see 22 at a decent price from here on out, i would pick up a brick. i'm at the point (never thought it would happen) where i will keep 2000 rounds of 22 or more at all times. its cheap and small, so there is no reason not to keep a decent supply so that you can shoot when the next drought comes. its sad that this is how it is...but it just is....:(

9mm is fairly cheap for a centerfire round.....but if you want "shoot all day w/o hurting the wallet" cheap.....22 is the last word.

12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

What he said :)

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

The other things about your question are:

1) There's .22 and then there's .22. The cheapest rimfire ammo is inconsistent, prone to FTF, FTE or other issues. The top quality match ammo is consistent, reliable, etc., and is as expensive as centerfire. There was lots of choice in between when it was available.

2) I can shoot all day with my .22s, it's easy. I wouldn't want to with my 9mm. People can post all they want about 'practicing the fundamentals', but shooting larger calibers isn't about initial sight picture, it's about regaining the target and pulling off follow up shots. I'd never have a whole of that in me with 9mm. It hurts my wrist just thinking about it.

14. hawkguy

i agree with cheap 22 bulk ammo i expect some ftf and malfunctions, normally 1 every 100-300 rounds. i can live with that for 3-5 cents a shot. :)

HOWEVER.....i have almost ZERO problems with CCI.....i consider it quality (not THE best) 22 ammo, and it still goes 7-8 cents a shot. compare that to the CHEAPEST 9mm i have seen recently at around 30 cents a shot. :confused:

NO COMPARISON on price i'm afraid.

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I got way more than that with the cheap stuff.

CCI is absolutely the best bang for the buck, absolutely. I'd love to get a case of 'Standard Velocity' for the bolt, and 'Mini Mags' for the 10/22 & Mk III.

Eley .22 LR Match EPS is .30 per round at Champion's Choice, and that's not even the top shelf. The Eley .22LR Tenex EPS goes for .39 cents a round.

Here's what people at 'Rimfire Central' are paying for 22lr. ammo, more or less.

Acceptable, 0.067;

Good, 0.121;

Better, 0.156;

Because the number of people paying more than 0.25 PPR for the Best ammo is 15, and the TOTAL of people paying less than 0.25 is 26, and because 'more than 0.25' can be 0.30, or more, I've posted results with & without the more than 0.25 data.

Best without the >0.25 data is 0.173;

Best with the >0.25 data is 0.200

16. hawkguy

fair enough....but there is still NO QUESTION that 22 ammo is the cheapest ammo you can buy from factory.

22 cheapest- less than 5 cents a round
    22 most expensive- maybe 30-40 cents a round (the ely match ammo i bought was $9 for 50)

9mm cheapest- 25-35 cents a round..more right now!
    9mm most expensive- $1 or more a shot

no argument can be made that 9mm is less expensive than 22, unless you compare the absolute most expensive 22 against the absolute cheapest 9mm.

now....it that an accurate comparison of cost? :)

as to which the OP wants....if they are simply looking for the least expensive to shoot, the obvious answer is 22.

17. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Well yeah, given equal quality. I guess my point is the more affordable .22lr stuff goes first and what's left is the high end .22lr vs. the bulk 9mm, or something.

Personally, I'm considering air guns just because there's scads of .22 pellets around, the .22 AG rifles are good to about 50y - 60y, and regular .22lr isn't stable past 70 yards anyway.

So if economics is the key criteria, the OP should look into AGs if target shooting is his purpose. You could get several hundred .22 pellets for cost of one box of .22lr. There's a lot less restrictions on AGs too.

18. hawkguy

good point.....but the only thing about air guns......no BANG! :( LMAO! ;)

lately i have scored 22 cheapo bulk with (semi) regularity. i think we're gonna be good in 1-2 months IF there isn't another panic.

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I pretty much have to agree with that! At one point I had less the 1K. Now we have well over 3K of assd. 22's including some match stuff(Eley & Federal auto match, make up about 1K). Had to buy some Remington Thunderbolts this past week,..but I'll shoot them first....
    I'm not buying any this week but next week I'll get to DICKS and buy a few bricks...

20. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Hatson 65BT=120 decibel air rifle.
    So, . . you're thinking I should hold off on a PCP system?